Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I think what the Golden Knights have proven, is you need depth, and a lot of it.
Calgary is so damn shallow, having guys playing spots much higher than they should.

Like, with another scoring top 2C, moving Backs down to that third line; makes that line dominant.
Calgary needs to shed dead weight, and get some pieces that can chip in. Like to me, you find room for Andrew Mangiapane; there's skill and scoring there. No reason guys like Garnet Hathaway or Curtis Lazar should find ice over him.

If we moved Dougie, I'd rather trade him for an equivalent top centre, than a RW.

This is very true, getting a another top centre, solves more problems than getting a top RW.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
This is very true, getting a another top centre, solves more problems than getting a top RW.

Yes and no. It improves our depth a fair bit, but I'd argue it doesn't solve our problem of only having two legit lines by itself.

I want Tavares as much as the next guy, but if we miss out, signing Statsny and someone like Neal to short term deals might be ideal. That being said, I think Stastny is trying to stay in Winnipeg if it can be done.

Otherwise the FA Center depth is pretty thin. Still think Flipulla might be a good depth pickup for us.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Neal is a possible target for a bigger dollar, shorter term contract.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Ferland
Bennett-Jankowski-Frolik
etc.

And if one of Mangiapane/Dube/Foo comes along and forces Ferland/Bennett/Jankowski down the roster, that's just pure gravy at that point.

Alternatively, TSN just covered that Skinner, Nino, Coyle and Zucker are all likely available. Can't help but wonder if we can move Brodie for one of the latter three as a basis. Then if we still picked up a Neal or Tavares all of a sudden our depth up front is nuts.

I'd love having Skinner if they think we can re-sign him to an affordable deal, but I genuinely don't know what we could offer Carolina that they'd want and we'd be willing to give up.
I don't think we have a shot at Neal, personally. McPhee mentioned a couple months ago that he wasn't going to offer Neal a lot of term on his next contract. But unless contract negotiations have gone terribly between the two sides, I can't see why Neal would leave a Cup finalist (and possibly cup winner) to play for a high pressure Canadian market that would scrutinize his every move if he wasn't living up to his contract. I also think it's more likely he ends up in Nashville again over a bubble team in Calgary.

I like Skinner a lot too but a Canes fan said that he and Peters might not be on good terms and I bet he's looking for a completely fresh start too.

It's hard to say where that top 6 forward us gonna come from. I don't envy Treliving

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think what the Golden Knights have proven, is you need depth, and a lot of it.
Calgary is so damn shallow, having guys playing spots much higher than they should.

Like, with another scoring top 2C, moving Backs down to that third line; makes that line dominant.
Calgary needs to shed dead weight, and get some pieces that can chip in. Like to me, you find room for Andrew Mangiapane; there's skill and scoring there. No reason guys like Garnet Hathaway or Curtis Lazar should find ice over him.

If we moved Dougie, I'd rather trade him for an equivalent top centre, than a RW.

Vegas doesn't have remarkable depth. They have remarlable speed down the middle with guys like William Karlsson and Erik Haula as their 1/2C constantly keeping opponents on their toes and creating space that wouldn't be there if they couldn't blow you by.

Backlund can skate but hard matching him to top lines and cycling so much with Frolik/Tkachuk takes away his speed and Monahan is just.. a slow player who had some fast wingers in Gaudreau and Ferland.

Moving Bennett to the Gaudreau Ferland line, and Monahan to Jankowski's wing solves everything at ES and then you just need to figure out the PP part of the equation.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh look, OKG putting Bennett at C again and Monahan is 3rd line W.... you'd think multiple years of being proved wrong would eventually snap him into reality, but nope, just as delusional as even

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Moving Bennett to the Gaudreau Ferland line, and Monahan to Jankowski's wing solves everything at ES and then you just need to figure out the PP part of the equation.

Except the drastic decrease in scoring and giving us the single worst center depth in the entire NHL.

OKG with Monahan to third line wing is such a meme at this point, a one that has been beaten to death.

Reactions: Cyrano

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Except the drastic decrease in scoring and giving us the single worst center depth in the entire NHL.

Probably what you would have said about Vegas or St. Louis last year before Karlsson and Schenn showed that being put in a position to succeed makes an actual difference. Bennett is a high-end center who's never had wingers who fit with him. Brouwer and him were like oil and water, Versteeg couldn't grind OR skate with him(though they still had chemistry), Chiasson nor Lazar had anything resembling hands. Gaudreau and Ferland are better fits as wingers for Bennett because he can make them better as much as they can make him better. Monahan might be a competent center but he's proven that he can neither take a beating down the middle nor provide anything resembling speed down the middle so overrating him for goal totals he could very well match playing on the wing is not "an OKG meme", it's a CFHF meme.

Anyways, back to armchair GMing.

CGY offers:
Stone
Rights to Fox
Lazar

TOR offers:
Martin
Kapanen

I think that Stone fits a need for Toronto and Kapanen fits a need for Calgary. I love Adam Fox as much or more than anyone here but I am very nervous about his likelyhood to sign so I think it's a fair price to pay. Lazar allows Toronto get some of the speed back they'd be losing in Kapanen.=

Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Monahan
Frolik-Backlund-Kapanen

PP1
Tkachuk
Kapanen-Bennett-Gaudreau
Brodie

PP2
Ferland
Backlund-Monahan-Jankowski
Hamilton

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I've only watched Kapanen when he's played for Finland (U-20 and Men's team), but he never seems to have chemistry with his linemates, whoever they are.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Guys, I think I've solved it. Gaudreau, since he's our most talented natural player, should be moved to the most important and impactful position on the ice. Goalie! Tkachuk should then be moved to our #1 d spot because he hits the hardest, allowing us to bump Dougie up to centre where he clearly belongs (big, great stickwork, great possession numbers, not afraid of contact).

Projected lineup:

Monahan (for now)-Bennett-Ferland
Brouwer-Frolik-Backlund
lazar-Stajan-Hathaway
Jankowski-Shore-Hunter Smith

Tkachuk- Bro-god
Kulak-Andersson
washed up gio- Kylington

Gaudreau

Let's just trade that bum Monahan for someone with good corsi and better passing ability. Anyone know if Tanguay could come out of retirement???

Reactions: Cyrano

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Sounds like Sam Bennett.

Yakupov came to my mind, but maybe better. I admit I haven't seen him enough, but: speed yes, hands yes, but not enough hockey iq so you just skate with the puck and get completely lost in the offensive zone when you can't skate forward anymore

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Yakupov came to my mind, but maybe better. I admit I haven't seen him enough, but: speed yes, hands yes, but not enough hockey iq so you just skate with the puck and get completely lost in the offensive zone when you can't skate forward anymore

I don't think he has elite hockey IQ like Nylander or Marner, but IMO he is similar to Frolik with a better one-timer (and of course, a RHS). There's a ceiling on him, I'd probably say ~25G/~25A but I think that's fine if you put him in a position to succeed, which on our team he would have.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Probably what you would have said about Vegas or St. Louis last year before Karlsson and Schenn showed that being put in a position to succeed makes an actual difference.

Yes? But in both of the situations you push, neither team had an honest to god 1st line center than we already have in Monahan, who has clearly established chemistry with Gaudreau. St. Louis had been looking for a #1 C for years, and Schenn did really well for them, finally finding someone to mesh with their top line.

Brayden Schenn is an interesting example though, as I literally just compared Bennett to him on the trades board. I'd be quite okay if Bennett bounces back and has a 20-20 season similar to Schenn's third real season in the NHL. I am also curious if Schenn stays a 70 point guy next season without the ridiculous tear to start the year he had this season, or if he falls back into the 50-60 point guy he had been in Philly.

It's interesting that you want to point out me directly, when there were plenty of media pundits, HF posters, etc that said Schenn was not the #1 C solution, and that Vegas had no center depth either. I'd also be curious if you are claiming you knew both those things would happen.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I laugh every time OKG puts Monahan on the wing. In case you haven’t noticed, he’s been our best producing center since... Jokinen?

At least he isn’t our 3rd line LW anymore, he’s our 2nd like RW with Tkachuk and the almighty Jankowski. What privilege.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Vegas doesn't have remarkable depth. They have remarlable speed down the middle with guys like William Karlsson and Erik Haula as their 1/2C constantly keeping opponents on their toes and creating space that wouldn't be there if they couldn't blow you by.

Backlund can skate but hard matching him to top lines and cycling so much with Frolik/Tkachuk takes away his speed and Monahan is just.. a slow player who had some fast wingers in Gaudreau and Ferland.

No. They have depth. In addition to having excellent centre speed.
Their fourth line and third lines are universes beyond what we've had for a long while now. Being able to throw someone like Eakin on the ice anywhere and be comfortable with what he produces is something we don't have the luxury of. In Calgary we have to shelter Monahan, Jankowski AND Stajan. Literally only Backlund is able to comfortably match up with anyone.

In fact, having MEB on the fourth line is a 'nuff said moment. Our 4th lines have been absolute train wrecks; meanwhile someone like MEB has major positive impact on a game.

What Calgary needs is another top 6 C, I doesn't have to be a 1C, but a solid 2C would work wonders for this team. Outside of Tavares, I don't think that there any worth chasing in FA. Statsny will get paid, Thornton will stay in SJ; and the other guys are average at best (Bozak, Flipper, rest). I'd personally look at Brodie long before I think of trading Dougie; that top pairing is too elite to break up. Like, the elite of the elite.

We also need a legitimate bottom 6 workhorse. We need jabronis like Brouwer gone, and we need guys who are both defensively aware and have positive game impacts. I like Drew Shore on the 4th line, but we need someone on the wing who's good for 8/12.

Dunno, it's crazy how we watch Championship teams build down a reliable middle, and in Calgary, we kind of built in an offensive way and forgot about how we need a few centres to actually be good in their own end.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Tavares would still be my first choice. If not, Kovalchuk or bust. The cap is going up, if there was ever a time to add a big ticket item this year is it. Probably wouldn't have to give Kovy a lot of term either.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Kovalchuk
Tkachuk - Backlund - Ferland
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Mangiapane - Shore - Foo

Hathaway

Buyout Brouwer, trade Lazar and Stone and both 2018 4ths to whoever and maybe get back into the 1st or 2nd rounds.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I laugh every time OKG puts Monahan on the wing. In case you haven’t noticed, he’s been our best producing center since... Jokinen?

At least he isn’t our 3rd line LW anymore, he’s our 2nd like RW with Tkachuk and the almighty Jankowski. What privilege.
Monahan has been our best center since Nieuwendyk. A couple guys had single seasons better than Monahan has, but none had more than 2 seasons of 60+ points or 30+ goals.

Reactions: Las Llamas

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

I'm not even sure if Jankowski's a viable long term centre option. I don't think he thinks the game at a high enough level to ever be much more than a swing bottom 6er.

The big portion of his points came from when Bennett went on that absolute tear. In which he was clearly the passenger. Dunno. Without that Benny streak we more or less have a 10 goal sub 20 point player. That's a 4th liner.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Monahan has been our best center since Nieuwendyk. A couple guys had single seasons better than Monahan has, but none had more than 2 seasons of 60+ points or 30+ goals.

Daymond Langkow spits on your repuggedness. Seriously though, that guy was a beauty. As Beauty as you make'em.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Tavares would still be my first choice. If not, Kovalchuk or bust. The cap is going up, if there was ever a time to add a big ticket item this year is it. Probably wouldn't have to give Kovy a lot of term either.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Kovalchuk
Tkachuk - Backlund - Ferland
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Mangiapane - Shore - Foo

Hathaway

Buyout Brouwer, trade Lazar and Stone and both 2018 4ths to whoever and maybe get back into the 1st or 2nd rounds.

0 chance Kovalchuk comes to Calgary.
That guy is going to LA/NY, that type of market. Or one he won't have to pay big taxes like Dallas.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Daymond Langkow spits on your repuggedness. Seriously though, that guy was a beauty. As Beauty as you make'em.
I loved Langkow, he was amazing. I think had we been able to keep Conroy after the lockout and still added Langkow, we might have won a cup.

But Langkow only surpassed 30 goals twice in his career and 60 points three times (one of which was before he was a Flame). No Flames center has had as many 30 goal or 60 point seasons since Nieuwendyk. Before Monahan, Langkow was the best since Nieuwendyk.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
0 chance Kovalchuk comes to Calgary.
That guy is going to LA/NY, that type of market. Or one he won't have to pay big taxes like Dallas.

You're probably right, but I'd like to see Treliving make a strong bid for both him and Tavares. We can't pretend to know what's important to these players.

So far he has some decent trades, decent drafts, and real decent contract extensions under his belt. His FA record however I would say has been poor, which really hasn't been that big of deal considering how the rebuild has progressed. Landing a big FA(not David Perron, Bozak, or Derek Ryan) would in my eyes elevate him from being a good GM to a great one. It's a function of his job, how well he performs that function should count for and against him as well. Calgary may not be the top of the list destination for FAs, but I think you could do worse than signing on with the Calgary Flames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad