Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Why would Pitts do this?

giphy.gif

It's actually a proposal from a Pens fan for what it's worth.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think we should get Spezza, just for his laugh

Doesn't his contract make him unmovable or something unless he wants to? I remember reading or listening to something about Spez.
He strikes me as a good buy-low candidate that could have an Eric Staalesque resurgence. Plus we'd bring that Eklund rumour full circle.

I know he'll be 35 at the start of next season, so he'd be a very short term solution; but man, there's a world where we can get 40-50 points out of him on the 3rd/2nd line and really help ourselves. The guy has maybe 3-4 seasons left in the NHL if he can get it back on tracks. But that'd be a good little pickup.

Especially if we took the money (like no Tavares) and got something in return.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Seems like there's a decent change Kessel is moved

Friedman | Penguins still in it to win it

“Well, I think what you have to be careful of is when you say ‘closer to becoming a reality,’ do they have a partner yet,” wondered Friedman. “I do think Mark’s right on. I don’t have any reason to doubt his reporting. He knows that organization really well and I think there is truth to that. But I just think it’s going to be a kind of complicated deal.
“First of all, I think you’re always making the call,” noted Friedman. “If I’m Brad Treliving, I’m not doing my job if I’m not making the call and at least saying, ‘What do you want. What are you willing to do,’ because I do think a player like Kessel could help Calgary.
“I think that if you’re going to bring him to Calgary, you must have a strong room with people who won’t initially be bothered by the way he is. People who will believe very strongly they can create an environment that will make him comfortable and he can fit into, but you don’t expect him to lead the way. You expect him to be an important part of who you are, but not a guy who necessarily sets the tone. If you can do that, if you have strong enough leadership that you can create that, then he will be successful for you. If you’re in a situation where you don’t have strong leadership where you can create that, it’s not going to work.

Also some stuff about Hamilton:
Friedman was then asked if a lot of the points he just made could perhaps be applied to Flames defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

“Yeah, maybe,” allowed Friedman. “I think there’s potentially some similarities there. We have to recognize that… it used to be in sports was one-stop shopping. The coach was the general of the army and he (allowed) no dissension and everybody got treated the same and it was one size fits all and that’s it. Now I think we’re doing a better job of realizing that just because (someone) and a team work together, it doesn’t mean that they’re the same people, and it also doesn’t mean that you can motivate them both the same way, or they feel comfortable the same way.

“The one thing I’ve heard about Dougie Hamilton is that he reads everything or is made aware of everything. I don’t think you can do that. I don’t think that’s helpful. I’m not convinced that Kessel reads everything. I think Kessel can handle a Canadian market because I think in a lot of ways he just thinks about whatever is going on in his head – he doesn’t worry about a lot of other stuff. But I do think there’s a similarity in the sense that you have to understand what makes these guys tick. They’re a little bit different, and if you can work around that you’re going to be okay.”

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Alright Calgary media.
Start writing all the Hamilton love pieces you can put together.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Kessel is going to cost a lot, and his cap hit is really high. Keeps us really top heavy still as well.

Dunno. I don't see the fit in Calgary.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Kessel is going to cost a lot, and his cap hit is really high. Keeps us really top heavy still as well.

Dunno. I don't see the fit in Calgary.
Brodie + Frolik for Kessel + Sheary. I think we add enough offense and have the ability to make up for the loss in the backend.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's only top heavy if the coaches myopically decide to put all their eggs in one basket, i.e., have a line of Gaudreau-Monahan-Kessel.

But Kessel's more than capable of carrying his own line. So it's important to spread the wealth so to speak upfront and be able to attack in waves. Gaudreau and Monahan, followed by Tkachuk and Kessel, and then Backlund and Frolik.

But yeah, he'll probably cost a lot. Brodie at minimum (which I know a fair number won't think is a lot but it'd actually create a giant hole; might be worth it though).

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Alright Calgary media.
Start writing all the Hamilton love pieces you can put together.
It's funny, both Calgary and Pittsburgh media were pissed off when Hamilton and Kessel, respectively, didn't address the media once their seasons were over.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's only top heavy if the coaches myopically decide to put all their eggs in one basket, i.e., have a line of Gaudreau-Monahan-Kessel.

But Kessel's more than capable of carrying his own line. So it's important to spread the wealth so to speak upfront and be able to attack in waves. Gaudreau and Monahan, followed by Tkachuk and Kessel, and then Backlund and Frolik.

But yeah, he'll probably cost a lot. Brodie at minimum (which I know a fair number won't think is a lot but it'd actually create a giant hole; might be worth it though).

I mean, yeah.
Gaudreau - Monahan - X
Tkachuk - X - Kessel
X - Backlund - Frolik

Does give this lineup a tonne of balance. The problem is finding that middle X.

If it's Brodie. Maybe? I don't know if we internally have the D to fix that hole he leaves. Like, I like Kulak as much as the next guy; but I don't think you give him the 2LD role. Also, in a trade, the Pens could see to move Maatta, but he's a sheltered D too.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It's funny, both Calgary and Pittsburgh media were pissed off when Hamilton and Kessel, respectively, didn't address the media once their seasons were over.

I don't even know what Dougie can say anymore. I do actually feel bad for the kid.
H: Puts up career goals. Puts up elite defensive metrics. Puts up elite possession metrics. Solidifies himself as a top pairing D.
Media & Fans: trade the guy! Get us a RW!!!11!!1

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I don't even know what Dougie can say anymore. I do actually feel bad for the kid.
H: Puts up career goals. Puts up elite defensive metrics. Puts up elite possession metrics. Solidifies himself as a top pairing D.
Media & Fans: trade the guy! Get us a RW!!!11!!1
I think Dougie's a more shy, introverted dude, which is why you get bush league "uppity loner" statements from the media types in Boston. The Calgary media definitely have an axe to grind with the Freddie thing. This garbage bag day thing just added fuel to the fire.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Dougie's a more shy, introverted dude, which is why you get bush league "uppity loner" statements from the media types in Boston. The Calgary media definitely have an axe to grind with the Freddie thing. This garbage bag day thing just added fuel to the fire.

Dunno.
One of the only two guys who has 1D potential to them, and we're trying to drive him out of town.

Hell, I've seen people on this forum try to package him off for some wing help.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

A Pittsburgh article had a rumor that Kessel was pissed at Sullivan for not playing him with Malkin. If he's that much of a diva if he's not playing with who he wants, I can't imagine he would want to carry his own line. Essentially he'd want to play with Johnny & Mony, unless Tkachuk and maybe Jankowski really tickle his pickle.

His ego worries me. Also, the fact that he was supposedly injured heading into the playoffs but refused to sit out a couple games to recover, just to keep his ironman streak going, is worrying. For the fact that he's more concerned about keeping the streak alive than what's best for the team, and for the fact that he'll be 31 next season and has played a lot of hockey. Like A LOT - over 720 consecutive games including playoffs.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Dunno.
One of the only two guys who has 1D potential to them, and we're trying to drive him out of town.

Hell, I've seen people on this forum try to package him off for some wing help.
I don't think he's as untouchable as Tkachuk or Gaudreau but I agree that if he gets traded, it should be for a similarly aged center (e.g. Point)

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Doesn't his contract make him unmovable or something unless he wants to? I remember reading or listening to something about Spez.
He strikes me as a good buy-low candidate that could have an Eric Staalesque resurgence. Plus we'd bring that Eklund rumour full circle.

I know he'll be 35 at the start of next season, so he'd be a very short term solution; but man, there's a world where we can get 40-50 points out of him on the 3rd/2nd line and really help ourselves. The guy has maybe 3-4 seasons left in the NHL if he can get it back on tracks. But that'd be a good little pickup.

Spezza has an NMC/NTC, but with it being the final year of his deal, he might be willing to go anywhere because he could have a resurgence and be dealt at the deadline.

Personally I would prod Dallas like crazy for a Brouwer/Spezza swap. It's a win for us and I don't care about them.

I don't think he's as untouchable as Tkachuk or Gaudreau but I agree that if he gets traded, it should be for a similarly aged center (e.g. Point)

Hamilton for Point is absolutely the kind of D-for-F deal I would be down for. Not sure why a team with Hedman, Stralman, McDonagh, and Sergachyev would bother though.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hamilton for Point is absolutely the kind of D-for-F deal I would be down for. Not sure why a team with Hedman, Stralman, McDonagh, and Sergachyev would bother though.
Stralman is 31 and entering the final year of his contract. Hamilton, with his amazing contract, could make Stralman expendable and help them get younger. Probably won't happen but you never know

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
For the people who want Kesler:
4. We probably won’t know the truth until training camp, but there is a chance Ryan Kesler does not play in 2018–19. Anaheim’s centre gutted through 48 regular-season and playoff games, his discomfort and pain obvious to teammates and opponents alike. From what I understand, he will not be having surgery (that’s been done). Instead, he’s undergoing some aggressive rehab and treatment in an effort to improve the hip area. The team and agent are not commenting, but word is he is not interested in retiring, wants to play and is doing everything he can to get there. But it might be a situation where he sits out and tries to come back in September 2019.
Friedman

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Dougie and Phil are both outsiders, perhaps a double negative and having both of them on the roster is the key.

I am not into dealing Dougie, but I’d deal Brodie + Frolik for Phil. I think Valimaki is ready next season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Dougie and Phil are both outsiders, perhaps a double negative and having both of them on the roster is the key.

I am not into dealing Dougie, but I’d deal Brodie + Frolik for Phil. I think Valimaki is ready next season.
I suggest Brodie + Frolik for Kessel & Sheary... but Pens fans think it's losing too much from their wings. They mentioned about needing to move Maatta for a winger, I wonder what we would need to add to Brodie & Frolik to land Kessel & Maatta

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I suggest Brodie + Frolik for Kessel & Sheary... but Pens fans think it's losing too much from their wings. They mentioned about needing to move Maatta for a winger, I wonder what we would need to add to Brodie & Frolik to land Kessel & Maatta

Is adding Bennett for Guentzal instead of Sheary to much?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think I’d consider adding Bennett if they added Sprong.

Brodie, Bennett, Frolik for Kessel, Sprong and Maatta.

You have some weird obsession with Bennett....he is not that good.

The only value they are going to get out of Bennett is for some magic reason, he turns it around with the new coach.

Other than that he is a major disappointment if not a bust already around the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad