Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I disagree; I don't think we can blame coaches for him having his head up his ass in the offensive zone all the time.

@Fig: In regard to Bennett, at least, playing off the rush is his weakest offensive point. At least sometimes this season he's looked good cycling (with Janko and Jagr); on the rush his feet are moving too fast for his brain and he ends up making a failed pass or failed toe drag (or if he decides to switch it up he might just skate right past the net). *Caveat: obviously he makes a nice play sometimes, but the majority of the time he needs a huge amount of space to do it - more than you're normally going to get on NHL ice.

As with any Flames player I'd love for him to prove me wrong, but Bennett has a lot of the same issues now that he did as a rookie. That's not a coaching issue, in my opinion.

Oh he has holes in is IQ for sure, I'm more speaking to the possession style game plan that GG roles out. It's not fitting for a player like Bennett. Now nobody knows what it would look like until/if we bring in a new coach. But it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Bennett excel under someone other than GG. The kid clearly has talent, we just haven't seen him put it all together yet. Everyone wants to call Bennett a bust at this point. If I was Tre, I wouldn't be moving him until we see what he looks like under someone else and has more time to mature.

Reactions: viper0220 and Janks

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Oh he has holes in is IQ for sure, I'm more speaking to the possession style game plan that GG roles out. It's not fitting for a player like Bennett. Now nobody knows what it would look like until/if we bring in a new coach. But it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Bennett excel under someone other than GG. The kid clearly has talent, we just haven't seen him put it all together yet. Everyone wants to call Bennett a bust at this point. If I was Tre, I wouldn't be moving him until we see what he looks like under someone else and has more time to mature.

I totally agree with this, as much as it pains me not seeing Sam Bennett, tearing it up, we need to be patient(his trade value is low.) When I see Sam Bennett, I see another high pick that took some time to become good and that is Brayden Scheen. Brayden Scheen like Sam Bennett was a high pick and if you take a look at Brayden Scheen's first 4 years(since his draft year, he struggled, Sam Bennett has more points than Brayden Scheen in the first 4 years since being drafted.) Both Brayden Scheen and Sam Bennett play a similar style, just be patient with Sam Bennett, there is not point in trading him because his value is so low.

In the off season, changes need to be made, these are the changes that need to be made:

1.) New coaching staff, fire the whole coaching staff and by whole I mean whole. Bring in a experienced head coach that demands respect and knows how to get the best out of the players, let the new head coach pick his assistants, dont pick it for him. Alain Vigneault, Joel Quenneville(if they are available) and Darryl Sutter, target these coaches first.

2.) Get a top 3 forward and top 6 forward. By top 3 I mean someone who can play in the top 6 and can put up 60-70 points and by top 6 I mean some who can play in the top 9 and put up 50-60 points.

3.) Fix the bottom 6 and this will be done if by doing #2.

3.) Give the younger guys a more of a chance, we were ok healthy wise and injures will happen, so next year more young guys will get a chance.

4.) Figure out the backup goalie situation.

5.) Trade Brodie(because he is scapegoat for now) and give a D prospect the spot. Brodie will help getting #2 done.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I know we all love to hack on the Oilers for the lottery wins and still sucking, or at least I do, but Treliving has a quasi lottery win by having an impact player like Gaudreau drafted in the 4th rd. Sure it was through good scouting and not sucking on purpose but it's at least a little similar. He needs to surround the kid with better talent, I like Monahan and I like Ferland but these are 1st line players by necessity and not by inherent skill. Let's not fool ourselves, their production is highly reliant on playing with Johnny.

Monahan might get there as he's shown slow and steady progression in his career, but what would make this team into a bonafide contender is by acquiring a center and right winger better than both of them. How he would do that with the assets he has might be a little tricky, but I would put both Brodie and Bennett on the table to make it happen. You also have a dearth of promising defensive prospects, either get them in the lineup or trade 1 or 2 to upgrade your forward group. He did so well stockpiling assets his first couple years, but the Lazar and Hamonic trades in particular just haven't worked out all that great. At least he's managed the cap really well, and when you do that you should be able to be competitive.

Tavares would be the dream C, for the winger I'd look at Stone, Hoffman, Bjorkstrand, Lindholm, Reinhart, or Riley Nash as age appropriate players that might be available. Wish there was something in the prospect pool that could be our own Trochek, Bailey, Marchessault, Point, but other than Matthew Phillips(who is producing at a 1.6ppg in the dub :eek:), I just don't see a whole lot of potential there.

Really curious what the hockey trade Tre was working on at the deadline was.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I know we all love to hack on the Oilers for the lottery wins and still sucking, or at least I do, but Treliving has a quasi lottery win by having an impact player like Gaudreau drafted in the 4th rd. Sure it was through good scouting and not sucking on purpose but it's at least a little similar. He needs to surround the kid with better talent, I like Monahan and I like Ferland but these are 1st line players by necessity and not by inherent skill. Let's not fool ourselves, their production is highly reliant on playing with Johnny.

Monahan is definitely a 1st line player by skill.

Before Gaudreau was in the league he scored 22 goals as a 18/19 year old. He may not be Kopitar/Crosby/McDavid but he is definitely top line talent and should not be lumped in with a guy like Ferland who is 100% a coattails rider.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Tavares would be the dream C, for the winger I'd look at Stone, Hoffman, Bjorkstrand, Lindholm, Reinhart, or Riley Nash as age appropriate players that might be available. Wish there was something in the prospect pool that could be our own Trochek, Bailey, Marchessault, Point, but other than Matthew Phillips(who is producing at a 1.6ppg in the dub :eek:), I just don't see a whole lot of potential there.

Really curious what the hockey trade Tre was working on at the deadline was.

I am confused you say that Monahan isn't good enough for the top line and then list a bunch of guys that are worse than him for us to acquire to fix our problems.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Dube is going to be a top 9 player for us as soon as next year. Might need one more year but we’ll see. Reminds me a lot of Frolik actually. Great skater. Great two way player. Not sure he’s an elite offensive guy though. I even could see him being the right fit to play with Gaudreau-Monahan at some point. He’s really able to drive possesion.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I am confused you say that Monahan isn't good enough for the top line and then list a bunch of guys that are worse than him for us to acquire to fix our problems.

Tavares would be the 1c better than Monahan and Backlund. The others I listed are players I would target as top 6 RWers better than Ferland and Frolik. With a couple of acquisitions this team could be elite, without them I see them continuing to toil in playoff race/first rd exit territory.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
A lot of people wanting top 3/6 forwards and "first line center" in this thread from the offseason.

A lot of people are going to be really disappointed when the flames acquire none of that , because it is impossible with what we have available to trade and in free agency.

Moving Bennett up and Frolik down would be a good boost to the top 6 without costing anything for a start .

Reactions: Flames 1st pick

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How about Elias Lindholm to play with Bennett and Jankowsi? What kind of package gets it done?
Nothing. The 'Canes are loaded with with good young defensive prospects like we are. Our strengths and theirs don't make us good trading partners. For them to move Lindholm, it would have to be something like Bennett++

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
How about Elias Lindholm to play with Bennett and Jankowsi? What kind of package gets it done?

Monahan

They have lots of 2nd level young guys what they need is a number 1 C.

They have zero reason to move Lindholm unless it is to fill that need.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Nothing. The 'Canes are loaded with with good young defensive prospects like we are. Our strengths and theirs don't make us good trading partners. For them to move Lindholm, it would have to be something like Bennett++

I'd gladly do Bennett ++. Lindholm was drafted with a potential higher than Bennett, and he's only a bit older.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd gladly do Bennett ++. Lindholm was drafted with a potential higher than Bennett, and he's only a bit older.
OF course you would, you'd probably give your first born and left nut for Lindholm, we all know you have this bizarre obsession with him.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Meh Lindholm for bennett is a wash in my mind. I would rather keep Bennett.

Perhaps Gillies + if this new owner is really taking on the GM duties? haha Skinner could be interesting too, but I'm not sure what the asking price would be. I don't think we're good trading partners with Carolina.

As far as targets go, I'd love to circle back around to Reinhart if the sabres are ready to move on from him. He looked pretty good last night on a terrible team. I would trade any of our prospects for him.

Others (costly):
- Domi or Dvorak on the Coyotes
- Roslovic from the Jets
-Thomas Hertl maybe? seems to be getting overlooked in SJ
-Silvferberg has had a relatively disappointing season and I think would look nice
- Anthony Mantha maybe?
-Burakovsky from washington

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Meh Lindholm for bennett is a wash in my mind. I would rather keep Bennett.

Perhaps Gillies + if this new owner is really taking on the GM duties? haha Skinner could be interesting too, but I'm not sure what the asking price would be. I don't think we're good trading partners with Carolina.

As far as targets go, I'd love to circle back around to Reinhart if the sabres are ready to move on from him. He looked pretty good last night on a terrible team. I would trade any of our prospects for him.

Others (costly):
- Domi or Dvorak on the Coyotes
- Roslovic from the Jets
-Thomas Hertl maybe? seems to be getting overlooked in SJ
-Silvferberg has had a relatively disappointing season and I think would look nice
- Anthony Mantha maybe?
-Burakovsky from washington

How is Lindholm for Bennett a wash? Lindholm is a far better player in every sense and fits a need. He isn't soft either he's actually pretty good physically.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
How is Lindholm for Bennett a wash? Lindholm is a far better player in every sense and fits a need. He isn't soft either he's actually pretty good physically.
If bennett was deployed as much as lindholm i think they'd have nearly identical stats. Acquiring lindholm for bennett is not going to move the needle on this team very much IMO.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
This might be unpopular but I'd also take a flyer on Virtanen if Benning wants to move on. He looks like he could be an interesting bottom 6 player, speed and size in spades. Him and Lazar flanking a centre (Nick Shore?) could make a really nice grinding 4th line.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

In what universe was Lindholm drafted with a potential higher than Bennett?

He is a slight upgrade in terms of production and debatable in terms f upside.

The one plus he has is he is a RHS.

But it doesn't really matter because I doubt Carolina is interested in a Bennett package for him.

Reactions: Janks

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
In what universe was Lindholm drafted with a potential higher than Bennett?

He is a slight upgrade in terms of production and debatable in terms f upside.

The one plus he has is he is a RHS.

But it doesn't really matter because I doubt Carolina is interested in a Bennett package for him.

Lindholm scored at almost a point per game pace in the SHL during his draft season that was almost unheard of and definitely spoke of "elite potential". Albeit I don't think Lindholm will ever be an elite player but he was drafted for super high potential.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Lindholm scored at almost a point per game pace in the SHL during his draft season that was almost unheard of and definitely spoke of "elite potential". Albeit I don't think Lindholm will ever be an elite player but he was drafted for super high potential.

That seems to show why he was a high pick not that he had more potential than Bennett. Bennett was ranked as the #1 guy in his draft by reputable draft sources. His potential was very high when drafted as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad