Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
People do realize how awful he's been lately right? Giving up Valimaki plus is a HUGE risk.

Look at the Duclair trade and try to massage something similar. Probably slightly more.

I want Domi for sure, but I don't want another Lazar situation where we overpay for a risky proposition.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Fox + Kylington + Brouwer

For Domi

Hah, if they take that, you laugh your way to the bank. I like Fox and Kylingotn; but the thoughts of Domi + Chucky on a line gives me the LoL's.

Additionally the guy's a good scorer. He's struggling because that team sucks.

Reactions: Pekkas Purse

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hah, if they take that, you laugh your way to the bank. I like Fox and Kylingotn; but the thoughts of Domi + Chucky on a line gives me the LoL's.

Additionally the guy's a good scorer. He's struggling because that team sucks.

Yeah Duclair looked good out of that black hole and I think Domi is a lot better than Duclair.

Reactions: Dack

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Seriously though, the Flames already have their own version of Domi in Sam Bennett. Unless it's a change of scenery deal between those two pieces (which would be asinine given their ages), don't see the point.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Seriously though, the Flames already have their own version of Domi in Sam Bennett. Unless it's a change of scenery deal between those two pieces (which would be asinine given their ages), don't see the point.

I don't see him as a Bennett, I see him as a poor mans Tkachuk, but if the Flames could add another Bennett type player, why not? He can play either wing, fits the top 9, fits the age of the core, and he's tenacious. The ONLY thing he's missing is that he's a left handed shot.

Reactions: Dack

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
If we intend to use Bennett as a left wing I'd much prefer Domi over him. In his two previous seasons he was on pace for over 50 points and this year he's shooting 2.5%.

In Bennett's best season he was on pace for 38 points over a full year and he spent most of the year playing with Backlund. I want Bennett to succeed but the last few games again I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Continue on please. BTW anyone want to do Kylington for Kole Lind?
7rwSpeH.gif

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's not that Domi and Tkachuk wouldn't be great, it's that a) the Flames single biggest need (aside from perhaps a new coaching staff) is a RHS for the powerplay because Versteeg most likely isn't coming back next year and there's nothing in the system that can fill that role in the short term.

And b), it's not like the organization is swimming in tradeable assets. The picks are all gone; so if you move the prospects as well, there's nothing in the pipeline. And it really, really cannot stressed enough just how much something like that can devastate an organization in the long run *cough* Phaneuf for bunch of depth *cough*. So giving up a fortune for yet another left shot, even if they can play both wings, means that the cupboards are empty and they still have a massive hole on the powerplay to fill. It just not the best use of assets. If the Flames are going to make deal, it should be one of the defenceman on the roster or one of the billion left wingers they have.

So it comes down to something like Bennett for Domi (or Hamilton for Domi+Chychrun/Dvorak). A struggling player for a struggling player; a change of scenery deal. And there's probably a valid debate here both for and against something like that.

Flames and Canucks have exchanged busts before....Virtanen for Klimchuk and Wortherspoon?
For the record, Granlund >> Shinkaruk and it's not even close. But this I would do. Heck, they can have Shinkaruk back too.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Calyotes?

I'm guessing that means Tippett too, but I'll take it if it means we get guys like Domi for dust on the dollar. I'd assume Chayka would want Dougie.

I am really bad at the value... but Crazy, crazy, crazy question... how far off on value are we if we request Domi + OEL if Dougie is the main piece being requested the other way? Valimaki? More?

Gio - Brodie
OEL - Hamonic

Top 4 and Domi in the top 9. We'd move Dougie and some high end prospects, but we'd have a hell of an interesting group to contend with. Yeah, we'd lose that top pairing RHD, but the group left over isn't too bad, no?

In all seriousness, Chayka essentially gave us Stone for nothing and in a situation that was perfect for the expansion draft. We then "overpaid" for Smith, but he's been great. Pretty much everything we've pried out of Arizona (including Schelmko) was excellent for the price we paid. Even market value isn't seemingly a bad proposition if trading with the Yotes. Add on the fact that many former Yotes players seem to fit our system like a glove and end up seemingly being a difference maker very quickly, it might be the right type of win now move to move a roster and a prospect for two long term roster players.

Pros
- Meets ownership mandate of a cheap crew. Luckily our management will be well versed in making something from nothing
- What a story the Calyotes would be
- A top 9 for the rivalry records
- Brodie back to his strong side
- Young NHL roster core for contention purposes, OEL and Domi with new life = bonus for a run

Cons
- Tippett < Gully?
- No Dougie bombs (which after losing Hartleyism's means we're only boringseanmonahan away from insane monotone)
- Salary.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
If the deal is Domi and OEL for Hamilton I want more coming from te Arizona side not us giving up more. But I also think OEL is living off his reputation more than ability at this point. He is a big step down from Dougie.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Calyotes?

I'm guessing that means Tippett too, but I'll take it if it means we get guys like Domi for dust on the dollar. I'd assume Chayka would want Dougie.

I am really bad at the value... but Crazy, crazy, crazy question... how far off on value are we if we request Domi + OEL if Dougie is the main piece being requested the other way? Valimaki? More?

Gio - Brodie
OEL - Hamonic

Top 4 and Domi in the top 9. We'd move Dougie and some high end prospects, but we'd have a hell of an interesting group to contend with. Yeah, we'd lose that top pairing RHD, but the group left over isn't too bad, no?

In all seriousness, Chayka essentially gave us Stone for nothing and in a situation that was perfect for the expansion draft. We then "overpaid" for Smith, but he's been great. Pretty much everything we've pried out of Arizona (including Schelmko) was excellent for the price we paid. Even market value isn't seemingly a bad proposition if trading with the Yotes. Add on the fact that many former Yotes players seem to fit our system like a glove and end up seemingly being a difference maker very quickly, it might be the right type of win now move to move a roster and a prospect for two long term roster players.

Pros
- Meets ownership mandate of a cheap crew. Luckily our management will be well versed in making something from nothing
- What a story the Calyotes would be
- A top 9 for the rivalry records
- Brodie back to his strong side
- Young NHL roster core for contention purposes, OEL and Domi with new life = bonus for a run

Cons
- Tippett < Gully?
- No Dougie bombs (which after losing Hartleyism's means we're only boringseanmonahan away from insane monotone)
- Salary.

I always liked OEL a lot but he’s been god awful this year. I’d like to think it’s because he’s just sick of playing for the dumpster fire that is the Arizona Coyotes. I don’t think we can afford to resign him though unless we move more salary out. Domi is a risk too not sure if he’s just having a down year or if he was overhyped. Bottom line I probably don’t move Dougie for them, he’s great, young and relatively inexpensive for awhile

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think all Calgary acquisitions should be cost prohibited, I agree @Calculon

More or less, we need a RHS because our coaching system refuses to play a defender on the PP; however if we can get better in any trade I'm all for it. If we can unload some of the guys that we have no intention on keeping in a deal to make our team better, then go-go Tre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad