Speculation: Armchair GM Thread: I can't believe it's not butter, I can't believe we didn't get Ryan Hartman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I don't know why so many people are terrified of UFA contracts but willing to give up large chunks of our future to acquire players from other teams. No matter what you pay a premium to acquire a player, dollars/cap hit if it's a UFA and assets if it's via trade. I personally would rather risk a bad contract than pay out of our ass for a guy under contract.

So we need to sign Tavares.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
just imagine the reaction if we trade Andersson or Bennett and they turn into an all-star, I think people *****ing and crying about contracts would pale in comparison.

I would probably deal Bennett + Brodie for Mark Stone and not blink. When Ottawa deals Karlsson, that might be a deal they consider.

Reactions: Cyrano

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think that's pretty fair. Ottawa's not really in a position to sell high right now.

I don't think they have any reason to sell so low on him and it is likely they get a better deal from somewhere else if they do move him.

If he requested to go to Calgary and only Calgary maybe they go for that deal but considering they have no need to trade him at all for 10 cents on the dollar, let alone to Calgary I don't think that deal comes close to getting it done.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I would probably deal Bennett + Brodie for Mark Stone and not blink. When Ottawa deals Karlsson, that might be a deal they consider.

Honestly makes some sense. I see Dube as NHL ready. Could put him with Backlund and Frolik. Then have Stone for the top line with Tkachuk-Janko-Ferland as line 3

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Honestly makes some sense. I see Dube as NHL ready. Could put him with Backlund and Frolik. Then have Stone for the top line with Tkachuk-Janko-Ferland as line 3

I think at that point (I hope) that line three would become line two. Could also put Backlund with Tkachuk and Ferland since we know he has chemistry with both. Third line is weaker, though for sure.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I don't think a Mark Stone trade is realistic. I think someone more suitable in a Brodie trade would be Kyle Palmieri - a 2nd line forward for a 2nd pairing Dman. Similar age, similar contract. I know the free agent route (Neal/Perron, etc.) saves you an asset (Brodie) but usually in free agency you have to overpay in dollars and term. That could end up hurting the team just as much.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't think a Mark Stone trade is realistic. I think someone more suitable in a Brodie trade would be Kyle Palmieri - a 2nd line forward for a 2nd pairing Dman. Similar age, similar contract. I know the free agent route (Neal/Perron, etc.) saves you an asset (Brodie) but usually in free agency you have to overpay in dollars and term. That could end up hurting the team just as much.

Look at the way Brodie has played though the last few games. Look at how good he was in last year’s playoffs.

All you need is one team to see something.
Hope they are getting vintage Brodie. He’s so good when he’s allowed to do his thing, and I think Gulutzan is really starting to realize that.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Moving Brodie creates a giant hole that will become an even bigger problem than the one on wing right now. I really doubt that he's moved at all. Especially if all you can get is a Palmieri or something equivalent. Treliving isn't Dutter.
Yeah. If they're moving a dman it should be a guy from the right side, which effectively means Stone. Not going to get an impact player for him, but even a good third line RW would be good for this team.

Reactions: Calculon

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Yeah. If they're moving a dman it should be a guy from the right side, which effectively means Stone. Not going to get an impact player for him, but even a good third line RW would be good for this team.

Exactly, you need to create a spot for Andersson anyway. He needs NHL time next year, and should be fine on the bottom pair. Stone alone won't get you a ton. But package him with someone like fox and you should be able to grab something decent. Tough to trade two dmen to most teams I guess, but if the opportunity is there, pull the trigger.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Moving Brodie creates a giant hole that will become an even bigger problem than the one on wing right now. I really doubt that he's moved at all. Especially if all you can get is a Palmieri or something equivalent. Treliving isn't Dutter.

I feel like our coaching staff is finally letting our D jump into the play more. He’s giving them a little more freedom, or they are just tuning him out. So he’s starting to look like the player of old.

That said, Long term I think we could have trouble resigning him and Hamilton.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Eventually yeah, players will be moved. But at the moment, it doesn't make sense to strengthen one area of the team at the expense of another. No lateral; only addition. Moving any of the top four defencemen creates a hole that simply can't be filled internally. Which means you're now overpaying someone else in free agency or giving up even more assets in another trade.

There are ways to improve the offense without having to crater the defense. For example, throwing money at Neal; they have the cap space to grossly overpay him if it comes down to it. Or bringing in a more offensive coach, one that will consistently utilize the strengths of the players already on the roster (or just keep Gulutzan if it appears as though he's figured this out). Or even trading Stone for a couple of mid round picks and then using those picks plus prospects to bring in a top/middle six right winger.

One last alternative which won't be popular is to explore moving Bennett for a right shot right winger. There's depth on the left wing in Dube and Mangiapane that simply doesn't exist on the right side. Plus his opportunity for advancement is limited; he's not overtaking Gaudreau or Tkachuk on the left wing. He's not a right winger nor is it all that likely he'll overtake Backlund or Monahan in the next few seasons and it seems like the organization or at least the coach has Jankowski ahead of him on the pecking order too. Longterm, his potential is just wasted getting 12 minutes a night on a third line. So something like Bennett+Gillies/Rittich for E.Lindholm+ would go a long way in balancing the roster.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I dont trust BT with FA signing. There is nothing in the system that can fix the offense whether internally or by trading. The only option is Brodie or Hamilton but I agree that it's not a good option. In short, we are screwed unless a miracle happens (Bennett or Jank become something)

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Glass half full: The core is young. Gaudreau/Monahan/Tkachuk/Ferland should all come back a bit better. If Janks and Bennett can improve even a bit, it would help immensely.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think the best part of the Stewart/shore additions has been the push in competition it’s created. Since those guys came in our 4th line has been lights out with their minutes.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I feel very confident in saying Janks will be better next year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he got close to 50pts.

If the Flames can acquire an actual 3rd line RW, then MAYBE. He won't get anywhere near those numbers with Hathaway as the RW.

If Janks can get around 30 points, and Bennett closer to 40, that would be a pretty big boost.

Last edited:

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I dont trust BT with FA signing. There is nothing in the system that can fix the offense whether internally or by trading. The only option is Brodie or Hamilton but I agree that it's not a good option. In short, we are screwed unless a miracle happens (Bennett or Jank become something)

Free agents haven't been his strong suit, but I'll at least give credit for him not signing long term, and keeping it to the 3-4 year mid term deals. Seeing some of the 6-7 year deals handed out, oof

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If the Flames can acquire an actual 3rd line RW, then MAYBE. He won't get anywhere near those numbers with Hathaway as the RW.

If Janks can get around 30 points, and Bennett closer to 40, that would be a pretty big boost.

Should Bennett and Janks stay together, I feel they will both naturally progress. Getting a quality RW like a JT Miller would an immense boost. But we should see Bennett get over 40pts fairly easily next year regardless. He’s taken some really good steps the last 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->