Speculation: Armchair GM/Rumors Thread v.18.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

moon*

Mostly agree. And there's no shame in that. He is still only 22 yo.

Just out of curiosity...would you have drafted him 1 OV? I hear a lot of talk (mostly from the hilariously biased MSM in the east) that the Oilers made a mistake. While it definitely didn't work out, and in a re-draft he would definitely not go 1 OV, but at the time who else would have actually covered the bet?

Murray hasn't done much and neither has Galchenyuk (plus he didn't really play his draft year). I've heard the likes of Trouba and Reilly, but that is extreme hindsight.

Still early, but weak draft.

Ryan Murray for me 100% and that is not hindsight I said it at the time.

Yes Murray hasn't played like a #1 guy but that is mainly injuries. This year healthy he has looked pretty good.

Hearing those reports of 9-2, if that story is true, with the 2 being a biased Euro scout and a guy that had to switch from a different player to Yak once the debate was between Yak and Murray (which really wasn't a debate at all) is really, really damning though. That is really hard to spin. If that information is correct or close to correct then the Yakupov pick was 100% the wrong pick.

Yes it certainly looks like a weak draft. Trouba was not a realistic choice for 1st and Reilly would have been a big leap.

CALVAG

Jan 19, 2016
Ryan Murray for me 100% and that is not hindsight I said it at the time.

Yes Murray hasn't played like a #1 guy but that is mainly injuries. This year healthy he has looked pretty good.

Hearing those reports of 9-2, if that story is true, with the 2 being a biased Euro scout and a guy that had to switch from a different player to Yak once the debate was between Yak and Murray (which really wasn't a debate at all) is really, really damning though. That is really hard to spin. If that information is correct or close to correct then the Yakupov pick was 100% the wrong pick.

Yes it certainly looks like a weak draft. Trouba was not a realistic choice for 1st and Reilly would have been a big leap.

Interesting. I would have never taken Murray first. He lacked the dominance of a true #1D for my liking (a la Ekblad). Granted the Oilers haven't had four top 4 D since 2006, so there's that. But then the argument becomes BPA vs. need.

I think there is definitely something to the story of Katz stepping in and forcing the Yak pick. Especially considering how all the "insiders" were saying Murray right up until the Oilers said Yakupov.

EDIT: it seems as thought he organization was never fully behind Yak. Which is unfortunate because I think he's a great kid. Loves the game.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Yes

Oh great 5x5/60 any other crap you want to throw against the wall?

What his fairy rate while riding a unicorn? Or giants slain per 90 Hobbits eaten?

Yak sucks, he is terrible, awful and useless player. Full Stop.

Fairy rate is 49/60
Giants slain is 8/90he

Don't want him either tbh.

moon*

I am not usually a big fan of these older Euro FA signings. Cerevenka was terrible and Nakladal hasn't looked very good either but we do need some size on the wings.

Ideally that size would come in the top 6 and I have doubts about whether this guy can play at the level but why not take a shot. We don't have a lot of other grade A options.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I am not usually a big fan of these older Euro FA signings. Cerevenka was terrible and Nakladal hasn't looked very good either but we do need some size on the wings.

Ideally that size would come in the top 6 and I have doubts about whether this guy can play at the level but why not take a shot. We don't have a lot of other grade A options.

Actually, Cervenka made me feel the same way about Euro signings, but Nakladal has restored my faith. Very solid, big-bodied depth d-man. Great signing.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I think nakladals been solid. Getting rid of wideman and smid is likely a pipe dream but I'd be fine with engelland in the top 4 to start the year and a 5-7 of jokipakka, nakladal and Wotherspoon with one of them eventually getting into the top 4.

moon*

Actually, Cervenka made me feel the same way about Euro signings, but Nakladal has restored my faith. Very solid, big-bodied depth d-man. Great signing.

Nakladal obviously has a nice shot but appears to be a bit of a pylon and not very physical.

For me he is ideally the 7th guy or AHL/injury replacement guy.

Not bad but not really impressive either.

With Jokkipakka, Wotherspoon and possibly Kulak I do t really see a fit for Nakladal next year and certainly don't want him in our top 6.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

They're all zero risk with potentially solid rewards, though. Every now and then you get a guy like Panarin who ends up being a legit NHLer (they don't even have to be that good, but he's a convenient example), and the only risk being taken is the owner's money.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Nakladal obviously has a nice shot but appears to be a bit of a pylon and not very physical.

For me he is ideally the 7th guy or AHL/injury replacement guy.

Not bad but not really impressive either.

With Jokkipakka, Wotherspoon and possibly Kulak I do t really see a fit for Nakladal next year and certainly don't want him in our top 6.

He's actually been very physical along the boards, as is Jokkipakka. I'm not saying that Nakladal is a franchise-altering player, I just think he's come as advertised and been as good as we expected.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I've got a buddy who follows the flames pretty close and mentioned that the Flames are "in on" Pribly, a 23 year old Czech forward (RW) who is a PPG in the Czech league. Amongst a half a dozen teams with interest as per Bob Mckenzie. Could be a nice freebie?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
New and Improved Flams 2016-17 Lineup!

1DDalzy.png

traded for yakupov (because he is awesome and deserves better than the grease), traded widedog for chiggins then buried him (but he could replace Bollig), assumed the Flames would draft a finn, if not one of shink/poirier/janko can go in there. Signed perron for middle six wing depth, he can play anywhere. Still a little soft on defense (if Jookipakka struggles next season, they'd be in a tight spot). Signed Reimer, but he could be replaced with any average $4mil-ish goalie. The Flames now have almost 10 million in salary in the minors, which will all be freed up at the end of the year for Benzo's and Ferly's extensions. Lots of skill, speed, and scoring on the top 3 lines, and some gritty plugs for the 4th line.

what do you guys think?

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
New and Improved Flams 2016-17 Lineup!

1DDalzy.png

traded for yakupov (because he is awesome and deserves better than the grease), traded widedog for chiggins then buried him (but he could replace Bollig), assumed the Flames would draft a finn, if not one of shink/poirier/janko can go in there. Signed perron for middle six wing depth, he can play anywhere. Still a little soft on defense (if Jookipakka struggles next season, they'd be in a tight spot). Signed Reimer, but he could be replaced with any average $4mil-ish goalie. The Flames now have almost 10 million in salary in the minors, which will all be freed up at the end of the year for Benzo's and Ferly's extensions. Lots of skill, speed, and scoring on the top 3 lines, and some gritty plugs for the 4th line.

what do you guys think?

Did you account for Raymond and smid's 4.75 cap hit? You don't get full salary cap relief

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Did you account for Raymond and smid's 4.75 cap hit? You don't get full salary cap relief

as far as I know, the tool that I used counts raymond, smid, and higgins buried caps (minus the 950k each of course)

also, in this scenario, I didn't remember to re-sign JoCo. Whoops. Pretend I threw him in one of the trades (though I do like Joco and wouldn't mind him on the Backlund/Frolik line if they were deployed properly.)

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Jankowski for Yakupov

Jankowski walks as a UFA and signs with the Flames. The Oilers get the 51st overall pick in 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad