Not open for further replies.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Why not both?

JG - Mony - RW
Backlund - Bennet - RW
Shink - Janko -RW

Shinkaruk is still theoretically cheap in 2 years and would aid keeping the 3rd line dangerous. Backlund theoretically would be adequate and cheap contract on 2nd line

Janko as wing we don't know info yet... Shink 2nd line, Backlund and Janko on 3rd line if not above?

Size is still an issue though...

Because that is the last year of Backlunds contract and I think he walks after it so I expect to see us trade him for something then let him walk (if Janko is ready to take over). If we keep both I doubt we have the money to find a that big RWer we need on the top 6. If Janko never becomes anything I can see us trying to keep Backlund as our #3 center but he could price himself out.

moon*

Why not both?

JG - Mony - RW
Backlund - Bennet - RW
Shink - Janko -RW

Shinkaruk is still theoretically cheap in 2 years and would aid keeping the 3rd line dangerous. Backlund theoretically would be adequate and cheap contract on 2nd line

Janko as wing we don't know info yet... Shink 2nd line, Backlund and Janko on 3rd line if not above?

Size is still an issue though...

Size and issue and relying on some guys taking some big jumps or those RW being great which is tough to see with the money we would have to spend on UFAs.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Because that is the last year of Backlunds contract and I think he walks after it so I expect to see us trade him for something then let him walk (if Janko is ready to take over). If we keep both I doubt we have the money to find a that big RWer we need on the top 6. If Janko never becomes anything I can see us trying to keep Backlund as our #3 center but he could price himself out.

I think that's a fair assessment as well. :)

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
If Shinkaruk keeps playing like he did last game, I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team next training camp

moon*

If Shinkaruk keeps playing like he did last game, I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team next training camp

Outside us getting Matthews (even if we get a Finn) I find it hard to see how Shinkaruk isn't at least given a shot next year to fill a top 6 wing spot.

We have at least 2 if not 3 spots to fill and hard to imagine us filling more than 1 in UFA.

I don't think he will be guaranteed the spot by I think (and hope) that he is penciled in the top 6 to start TC and that the spot is his to lose.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Outside us getting Matthews (even if we get a Finn) I find it hard to see how Shinkaruk isn't at least given a shot next year to fill a top 6 wing spot.

We have at least 2 if not 3 spots to fill and hard to imagine us filling more than 1 in UFA.

I don't think he will be guaranteed the spot by I think (and hope) that he is penciled in the top 6 to start TC and that the spot is his to lose.

Yeah I agree. I think he has a better shot over Poirier. If we got a finn we would be golden

Gaudreau - Monahan - Finn
Shinkaruk - Bennett - UFA/Ferland?

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Yeah I agree. I think he has a better shot over Poirier. If we got a finn we would be golden

Ferland would be a good option there, but I think he's better suited for the bottom 6, especially since his consistency is a major issue

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I love Ferland, but I agree he's shown nothing this year that says he's a top 6 player. Hopefully next year he scores about 10-12 goals, that would be a huge step for him.

moon*

If that was the basis (I definitely don't have Ferland there and honestly have a hard time fitting him on the roster at all but that is a different post altogether) I wonder if we split up Gaudreau-Monahan.

I like them together but a Bennett-Shinkaruk-X line is pretty raw and could struggle defensively. Even if say a Frolik or other vet is put there that could be a tough way for them to develop.

I like the chemistry of Monahan and Gaudreau but if you had Gaudreau-Bennett-Finn that line could face the easy match-ups and then Shinkaruk-Monahan-X could go against the tougher match-ups.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Ferland would be a good option there, but I think he's better suited for the bottom 6, especially since his consistency is a major issue

I definitely agree, I guess if we resign Colborne he could slot in there, but other than that we don't have many options. I would prefer to keep Backlund and Frolik paired

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I love Ferland, but I agree he's shown nothing this year that says he's a top 6 player. Hopefully next year he scores about 10-12 goals, that would be a huge step for him.

Completely agree, if Ferland fixes his consistency issues I believe he can be a solid 3rd liner, thats capable of playing top 6 minutes when called upon

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
If that was the basis (I definitely don't have Ferland there and honestly have a hard time fitting him on the roster at all but that is a different post altogether) I wonder if we split up Gaudreau-Monahan.

I like them together but a Bennett-Shinkaruk-X line is pretty raw and could struggle defensively. Even if say a Frolik or other vet is put there that could be a tough way for them to develop.

I like the chemistry of Monahan and Gaudreau but if you had Gaudreau-Bennett-Finn that line could face the easy match-ups and then Shinkaruk-Monahan-X could go against the tougher match-ups.

That's definitely another option for sure. Shink and mony showed some chemistry last game

moon*

Completely agree, if Ferland fixes his consistency issues I believe he can be a solid 3rd liner, thats capable of playing top 6 minutes when called upon

Is it really a consistency issue for him?

He seems to have been consistently a dud offensively.

Outside of an overrated play-off series has he done anything as a pro (AHL or NHL) to show that he deserves a spot with the NHL team next season?

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary

Outside of an overrated play-off series has he done anything as a pro (AHL or NHL) to show that he deserves a spot with the NHL team next season?

I agree that he has been overrated since that playoff series, as for consistency I'm talking about how he can play with a physical edge, and if he does that, he can play bottom 6 minutes in the NHL imo.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I think Ferland is his own biggest enemy. I think he tried to play to tentative this year so he doesn't get hurt. The result is that he's not playing his game. If he hit everything, went to the net like a wrecking ball, the goals would come. But he hasn't played to his strengths barely at all this season so he's been largely ineffective.

I still think he's a really good asset to the team, but he needs to learn to find his niche in this league and things will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad