Speculation: Armchair GM/Rumors Thread v.18.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think the Flames have had interest in Bishop for sometime, personally. He's big, atheletic, a decent age, and he's a legit stud. Quite frankly I don't think TB has been in a position to deal him but I think the Flames have been monitoring the situation closely. If Stamkos re-signs there, I think that makes him available and look for the Flames to be the front runners to get him.

It helps that most teams that needed a goalie have already made a move in the last few years. If we got Bishop I wonder if we would try to keep Ortio as a cheap back up or spend more on a more proven goalie like Ward.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It helps that most teams that needed a goalie have already made a move in the last few years. If we got Bishop I wonder if we would try to keep Ortio as a cheap back up or spend more on a more proven goalie like Ward.

Given the cap situation, if they acquired Bishop for nothing more than picks, they'd absolutely have to go with a cheap backup, whether it's Ortio or someone else making less than a 1M.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Many believe Bishop will be among those most affected by smaller equipment.

moon*

I think Bishop will cost way too much to be worth it.

Sure if we can steal him for 2nd round picks that works but not sure why a team like TB which is in win now mode gives up their their starter for 50 cents on the dollar to go with an unproven back-up.

Sure if we are willing to pay a high price then the risk is more worth it but for a bad deal it makes no sense for them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think Bishop will cost way too much to be worth it.

Sure if we can steal him for 2nd round picks that works but not sure why a team like TB which is in win now mode gives up their their starter for 50 cents on the dollar to go with an unproven back-up.

Sure if we are willing to pay a high price then the risk is more worth it but for a bad deal it makes no sense for them.

Looking around the league, most teams have a starter, I actually think every single team does except for the Flames. In the case of expansion, that almost certainly guarantees Bishop and probably Andersson will be claimed. Would Tampa not be better off to get fair value now, while shedding cap to keep their core in tact?

There's no way we're trading our 1st. Perhaps one of Poirier or Klimchuk gets included, but we really do not have any other assets to give.

moon*

Looking around the league, most teams have a starter, I actually think every single team does except for the Flames. In the case of expansion, that almost certainly guarantees Bishop and probably Andersson will be claimed. Would Tampa not be better off to get fair value now, while shedding cap to keep their core in tact?

There's no way we're trading our 1st. Perhaps one of Poirier or Klimchuk gets included, but we really do not have any other assets to give.

Fair value sure. I don't see 2nd round picks and prospects likely not to ever make it as being fair value.

Also I think Bishop is a good enough goalie that teams with starters would be willing to trade for him. Especially considering TB would likely like to get a decent back-up in return as insurance for Vasilevsky

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
The only teams who do not have a high priced starter are:

Carolina, but they do have Lack
Toronto, but they do have Bernier

St. Louis also doesn't have a high priced starter, but they are not looking for a replacement as they have two of them locked up at a bargain total of $4.85 million.

There will likely be more teams trying to unload a goalie than will be trying to acquire one.

Detroit needs to unload Howard somehow. They are a cap team, and he's their back up making a ton of money and they need to re-sign RFA Mrazek.

I'm not sure how long Dallas wants to roll with their goalies combining for over $10 million against their cap, but that's the case for 2 more seasons.

Is a budget team like Arizona going to be looking to move Mike Smith? He hasn't been healthy much and when he is he's been average at best.

There is the whole Halak/Greiss thing in NYI.

The Bishop/Vasilevskiy thing in Tampa.

Does Philly look to move Mason with Neuvirth out performing him there?

What about a cap team like Pittsburgh, with super prospect Murray lighting up the AHL, and Fleury now over 30 and taking up lots of cap space?

Is RFA Andersen going to want to get paid like a starter in Anaheim now, even with goalie of the future Gibson right on his heels?

What about RFA Kuemper in Minnesota? There is another cap constrained team with a quality starter locked up with term, and a backup looking for a raise and more starts.

Then you've got UFA's like Reimer, Ward, Enroth and Raanta.

Seems to be an oversupply of goalies right now, so hopefully the Flames can get a good one for a cheap acquisition cost.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Fair value sure. I don't see 2nd round picks and prospects likely not to ever make it as being fair value.

Also I think Bishop is a good enough goalie that teams with starters would be willing to trade for him. Especially considering TB would likely like to get a decent back-up in return as insurance for Vasilevsky

I think a couple of 2nd's is good value myself. 1st's don't get moved all that often anymore and 2nd's hold good value. I wouldn't classify Bishop as a top 5 starter, but he's probably in that 10-12 range. We are not giving up our 1st, Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Dougie, Gio or Brodie. Anyone else, sure we can talk. I'd look at including Backlund, Colborne, Hickey, Poirier, Klimchuk, Tspoon. I wouldn't move Kylington or Andersson either. If something can't be worked out, I move to the next target, but I'm optimistic 2 x 2nds get the ball rolling.

Everyone thought that Dougie would cost Monahan or Gaudreau, it didn't happen. I'm confident in that Treliving will get the best goalie available for the most reasonable price.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Calgary's 1st and... Agostino? for Bishop and Drouin.

:popcorn:

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the addition of Kevin Hayes to the top 6 would be great. Since he had a down year (compared to last year) we might be able to buy low and get him from the Rangers for 2 2nds or a 2nd and a prospect like Klimchuk? We already know he has great chemistry with Johnny, plus he is a huge body (6'5 227 pounds) the only thing that would make it better was if he was a right shot, but Jimmy is ;)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the addition of Kevin Hayes to the top 6 would be great. Since he had a down year (compared to last year) we might be able to buy low and get him from the Rangers for 2 2nds or a 2nd and a prospect like Klimchuk? We already know he has great chemistry with Johnny, plus he is a huge body (6'5 227 pounds) the only thing that would make it better was if he was a right shot, but Jimmy is ;)

Our second and Klimmer. Sign me up

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Really can't see the Flames wanting anything to do with Drouin now.

Also can't see the Rangers trading Hayes; since Vigneault ripped him, he's been much better. And if you listen to Rangers fans, Hayes struggles on the wing; he's seemingly a centre at this level.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Really can't see the Flames wanting anything to do with Drouin now.

Also can't see the Rangers trading Hayes; since Vigneault ripped him, he's been much better. And if you listen to Rangers fans, Hayes struggles on the wing; he's seemingly a centre at this level.

While the idea of a Hayes/Johnny reunion is appealing, Hayes is only slightly better than Colborne, with a lot of the same short comings. He's still young and will improve but people thinking we'd hit a home run with Hayes would be really disappointed.

moon*

Calgary's 1st and... Agostino? for Bishop and Drouin.

:popcorn:

Maybe if it's the 7th or later pick and Matthews, the Finns, Chychrun, Tkachuk, Dubois are all gone but even then I would think about Gauthier over that deal.

But obviously would have to be after the lottery as those 6 guys I would prefer over Bishop and Drouin.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa
Really dont think xavier is going to pass their character threashold.

BTW Cornel signed his ELC today w Sabres

Last edited:

moon*

Seems pretty small, pretty weak and pretty ok.

I guess if the cost is cheap sure could be worth a flyer but wouldn't be the ideal guy that I would be looking to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad