Speculation: Armchair GM/Rumors Thread v.18.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
What do you guys think of Pulkkinen? Could be a good option for our lack of wingers.

I'd be OK with this. He has one of the best shots in the league which might sound like hyperbole but I stand by that. There's other warts in his game for sure but I think he might thrive as a wingman for Johnny. The Red Wings pedigree is never a negative either.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Thoughts on Yakupov? Would you offer the Star's conditional 1st (which likely means a second for Yakupov)? Or just a mid/late second?

Such a deal wouldn't be too much further off than Sven for a second deal idea wise.

Personally, I don't think Yakupov is as bad as other fans make him out to be. Bust for a 1OA for sure, but probably would have not been a big issue to draft him in the mid 1st round. He needs someone like Roy to guide him. Stajan could possibly be that guy?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yak, I'm give or take with, to be honest.
- He shows some ability from time to time, he's not really a dainty finesse player either; last year he had almost 100 hits. Has yet to show any kind of consistency in either department, still a pad possession player.
- I don't know if it's the player or organization. Does he suck because he sucks? Does he suck because the Oilers suck? Other Oil forwards are still producing (McDavid, Hall, Eberle, Leon; although a significant drop off)... but some are not (RNH et al).

Dunno, if he can just be a throw away; I'd be interested. If they're looking for a good return then I really pass.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I'd rather draft a player with that pick than waste it on Yakupov. I have zero faith in him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yak has also usually only got time playing with scrubs. I think he would produce if we played him in our top 6. I love his attitude and how hard he works. I hope we pounce.

moon*

I have made my views on Yak known before but will repeat it again.

I wouldn't take him for free. People will try to use the Oilers ruined him line but there were signs before this about his hockey IQ and attitude (the WJHC come to mind).

He was able to put up points riding McDavid's coattails to start the year but since then he has something like 10 points in 45 games. That is brutal.

He has been spoonfed prime minutes, PP time and offensive linemates and has sucked his whole career. He is completely clueless in his own zone, without the puck and really if you look at his stats pretty clueless even if he has it.

He has no commitment to defense, seems to be putting the blame on his crappy play and development on others and shown to be a huge d-bag in the past.

I just see no reason to add him. Bad attitude, horrible hockey IQ, unwillingness to take responsibility for his actions and an unwillingness to work on his game. There is just nothing there that is appealing at all.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I have made my views on Yak known before but will repeat it again.

I wouldn't take him for free. People will try to use the Oilers ruined him line but there were signs before this about his hockey IQ and attitude (the WJHC come to mind).

He was able to put up points riding McDavid's coattails to start the year but since then he has something like 10 points in 45 games. That is brutal.

He has been spoonfed prime minutes, PP time and offensive linemates and has sucked his whole career. He is completely clueless in his own zone, without the puck and really if you look at his stats pretty clueless even if he has it.

He has no commitment to defense, seems to be putting the blame on his crappy play and development on others and shown to be a huge d-bag in the past.

I just see no reason to add him. Bad attitude, horrible hockey IQ, unwillingness to take responsibility for his actions and an unwillingness to work on his game. There is just nothing there that is appealing at all.

Can you elaborate on the bolded?

CALVAG

Jan 19, 2016

Yak has been spoonfed prime minutes? You're kidding right?? Over 50% of his 5x5 ice time has been spent with bottom sixes (mostly Letestu, Lander, Korps, and Hendy this year).

His 5x5 pts/60 when centred by either Gagner, Roy, McDavid (which is 45% of his TOI since 2012) is 1.98. That is really good top six scoring.

When Yak plays with top six talent, he scores like a top six. When he plays with bottom six talent, he scores like a bottom six. Go figure.

In the interest of full disclosure, he hasn't scored well with Nuge or Ze German, largely because Nuge draws the toughs (which Yak can't handle) and Ze German wasn't ready for the NHL last year.

Listen. Yakupov isn't a perfect player. Far from it. And 5x5 points/60 isn't the only thing that matters. But suggesting he's been spoonfed minutes and prime linemates is wrong. Full stop.

CALVAG

Jan 19, 2016
I wouldn't trade the Dallas pick for him but I'd do a third + something small.

That's probably about where is perceived value is. But I don't think the Oilers would do that. They would probably look for another reclamation project. Or he would be a throw in for something bigger.

moon*

Yak has been spoonfed prime minutes?

Yes

You're kidding right?? Over 50% of his 5x5 ice time has been spent with bottom sixes (mostly Letestu, Lander, Korps, and Hendy this year).

His 5x5 pts/60 when centred by either Gagner, Roy, McDavid (which is 45% of his TOI since 2012) is 1.98. That is really good top six scoring.

When Yak plays with top six talent, he scores like a top six. When he plays with bottom six talent, he scores like a bottom six. Go figure.

In the interest of full disclosure, he hasn't scored well with Nuge or Ze German, largely because Nuge draws the toughs (which Yak can't handle) and Ze German wasn't ready for the NHL last year.

Listen. Yakupov isn't a perfect player. Far from it. And 5x5 points/60 isn't the only thing that matters. But suggesting he's been spoonfed minutes and prime linemates is wrong. Full stop.

Oh great 5x5/60 any other crap you want to throw against the wall?

What his fairy rate while riding a unicorn? Or giants slain per 90 Hobbits eaten?

Yak sucks, he is terrible, awful and useless player. Full Stop.

CALVAG

Jan 19, 2016
Yes

Oh great 5x5/60 any other crap you want to throw against the wall?

What his fairy rate while riding a unicorn? Or giants slain per 90 Hobbits eaten?

Yak sucks, he is terrible, awful and useless player. Full Stop.

I backed up my argument. Back up yours. How does playing the majority of his 5x5 TOI with Letestu and Korps etc. qualify what you're saying? I am actually curious.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Would trade a 2nd+Jooris/Colborne for Yakupov in a heartbeat.

Yakupov's been colossally mismanaged by the Oilers. Had he been drafted by almost any other team, he'd be a lot further ahead in his development. More than anything, he needs veteran support and the Flames have that in spades. But he's got a great attitude and actually works hard, so even a less than sterling hockey IQ shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Unfortunately, really doubt Chiarelli would trade him here, even if Treliving had the best offer on the table.
Would you guys do Ortio plus a 3rd?
The Oilers have Talbot and Brossoit; they don't need another goalie.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
The oilers are really bad. And he was developed when Eakins was coach, which in my opinion is when they played their worst hockey of all time. It's just tough to get a read on him. I feel like put on a better team with more structure and skill he could produce because the skill is there. You don't put up the points he did in junior with no skill.

moon*

I backed up my argument. Back up yours. How does playing the majority of his 5x5 TOI with Letestu and Korps etc. qualify what you're saying? I am actually curious.

Yakupov based on his play should have had 2 years in junior followed by a couple of years in the AHL.

So yes actually playing with Letestu and Korps is being spoonfed minutes but the fact is that he has had significant time playing with better players than that this year as evidenced by him starting the season with McDavid and in past seasons being put in top 6 roles despite repeatedly showing he did not have that level of ability at all.

CALVAG

Jan 19, 2016
Yakupov based on his play should have had 2 years in junior followed by a couple of years in the AHL.

So yes actually playing with Letestu and Korps is being spoonfed minutes but the fact is that he has had significant time playing with better players than that this year as evidenced by him starting the season with McDavid and in past seasons being put in top 6 roles despite repeatedly showing he did not have that level of ability at all.

You said "prime" minutes. Playing with Korps (who has been one of the worst forwards in the league this year) is not prime minutes. That is fact.

He has had a decent amount of time playing with top six (not significant). And when he does, he produces.

I'm not saying he's a great player. I'm saying he does just fine when he plays with like minded player.

EDIT: What on earth makes you think he needed 2 years of junior following his draft. The kid broke Stamkos' rookie scoring record for f sakes.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I wouldn't trade the Dallas pick for him but I'd do a third + something small.

Yeah or even a late second.

I like Yak. He's not only a hard worker, but also has a good head on his shoulders. I strongly believe any potential he had was smothered out by poor coaching and prospect management. He could be a really good reclamation project with high upside if he was willing to take a step back and work with good coaching.

That said, Edmonton would never trade him for that little to us.

moon*

You said "prime" minutes. Playing with Korps (who has been one of the worst forwards this year) is not prime minutes. That is fact.

He has had a decent amount of time playing with top six (not significant). And when he does, he produces.

I'm not saying he's a great player. I'm saying he does just fine when he plays with like minded player.

EDIT: What on earth makes you think he needed 2 years of junior following his draft. The kid broke Stamkos' rookie scoring record for f sakes.

What makes me think that is watching him play. Even in junior he did one thing well and in moving to the NHL being one dimensional rarely works.

This isn't 20/20 hindsight if you go back to that draft year there were a lot of questions about Yakupov and pretty all of them is what is happening now in the NHL. The Oilers are a nice scapegoat (and they do deserve part of the blame for not addressing the concerns) but the reality is that a lot, if not all, of Yak's problem likely exist no matter who drafted him. The fact that he is so clueless when he doesn't have the puck was a concern in juniors, WJHC and obviously now in the NHL. That is a pretty tough thing to overcome, a lack of hockey sense. Not so bad in junior when you go against 16 year old defensemen but damn tough when you are no longer more skilled than the guys you are going against in the NHL.

As for "producing" when playing with McDavid and other top 6 guys. He leeched points of them. He wasn't driving play or even really contributing. He was a warm body that got points after linemates created the goals. I guess that is better than not getting those points but doesn't really point to a guy just needing better chances to produce. If he had actually been creating chances, shown some chemistry or even displayed an ounce of skill with those guys I would maybe think there was something there but he was the same dud he has always been during his career just with more scoring from his linemates so he could pick up some points off of their work.

CALVAG

Jan 19, 2016
What makes me think that is watching him play. Even in junior he did one thing well and in moving to the NHL being one dimensional rarely works.

This isn't 20/20 hindsight if you go back to that draft year there were a lot of questions about Yakupov and pretty all of them is what is happening now in the NHL. The Oilers are a nice scapegoat (and they do deserve part of the blame for not addressing the concerns) but the reality is that a lot, if not all, of Yak's problem likely exist no matter who drafted him. The fact that he is so clueless when he doesn't have the puck was a concern in juniors, WJHC and obviously now in the NHL. That is a pretty tough thing to overcome, a lack of hockey sense. Not so bad in junior when you go against 16 year old defensemen but damn tough when you are no longer more skilled than the guys you are going against in the NHL.

As for "producing" when playing with McDavid and other top 6 guys. He leeched points of them. He wasn't driving play or even really contributing. He was a warm body that got points after linemates created the goals. I guess that is better than not getting those points but doesn't really point to a guy just needing better chances to produce. If he had actually been creating chances, shown some chemistry or even displayed an ounce of skill with those guys I would maybe think there was something there but he was the same dud he has always been during his career just with more scoring from his linemates so he could pick up some points off of their work.

I agree with some of what you're saying. But definitely not all.

Most players that score a ton in junior will need some tutoring in the bigs. And Yak was no different. But he didn't get it. And we are here. Yak has been in the league for four years now and has basically had one year's experience four times.

I think it's unfair to say he leeched points off McDavid et all. Can you back this up? Not trying to be a dink. Actually curious. Because I just think it's wrong. I agree that he doesn't drive the line, but that doesn't mean he's leeching.

Much of the blame should be placed on Yak. That I agree with. But he's also been hilariously mismanaged.

moon*

I agree with some of what you're saying. But definitely not all.

Most players that score a ton in junior will need some tutoring in the bigs. And Yak was no different. But he didn't get it. And we are here. Yak has been in the league for four years now and has basically had one year's experience four times.

I think it's unfair to say he leeched points off McDavid et all. Can you back this up? Not trying to be a dink. Actually curious. Because I just think it's wrong. I agree that he doesn't drive the line, but that doesn't mean he's leeching.

Much of the blame should be placed on Yak. That I agree with. But he's also been hilariously mismanaged.

The only proof I have is watching them play. Yak was a passenger on that line in every game I watched. I guess the other proof would be how bad his numbers have dropped off since being split up while McDavid is still cruising at over a PPG without him.

I definitely think the Oilers made his issues somewhat worse by not addressing them but Yak's ceiling was always a one dimensional 2nd line guy and it would have taken a lot of work to get him to that level. I think with most teams he would have ended up the guy he is now a player with supposed potential but frustrating reality waiting for him to "get it."

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The oilers are really bad. And he was developed when Eakins was coach, which in my opinion is when they played their worst hockey of all time. It's just tough to get a read on him. I feel like put on a better team with more structure and skill he could produce because the skill is there. You don't put up the points he did in junior with no skill.

IMO, this is the most telling to me.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...-over-leon-draisaitl-but-can-the-two-now-mesh

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/initially+scared+Yakupov+positive+influence/11305476/story.html

Yakupov somehow isn't clicking with any of the kid C. I wonder if it's because the kids C don't really have much structure or preferences yet vs Roy wanted Yakupov to do very specific things which Yakupov likes.

IMO, this reminds me of the Olli Jokinen article where he said a coach that kicked his butt (Keenan) was the one he needed the most to transition his game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/3dukwm/a_misunderstood_chiefs_diary_olli_jokinen_talks/

(not comparing anything Jokinen and Yakupov except my theory that Yakupov needs that super structure to transition into a proper NHLer)

CALVAG

Jan 19, 2016
The only proof I have is watching them play. Yak was a passenger on that line in every game I watched. I guess the other proof would be how bad his numbers have dropped off since being split up while McDavid is still cruising at over a PPG without him.

I definitely think the Oilers made his issues somewhat worse by not addressing them but Yak's ceiling was always a one dimensional 2nd line guy and it would have taken a lot of work to get him to that level. I think with most teams he would have ended up the guy he is now a player with supposed potential but frustrating reality waiting for him to "get it."

Mostly agree. And there's no shame in that. He is still only 22 yo.

Just out of curiosity...would you have drafted him 1 OV? I hear a lot of talk (mostly from the hilariously biased MSM in the east) that the Oilers made a mistake. While it definitely didn't work out, and in a re-draft he would definitely not go 1 OV, but at the time who else would have actually covered the bet?

Murray hasn't done much and neither has Galchenyuk (plus he didn't really play his draft year). I've heard the likes of Trouba and Reilly, but that is extreme hindsight.

Still early, but weak draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad