Speculation: Armchair GM/Rumors Thread v.18.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
IMO, if Gaudreau "accpets" a bridge deal, it's to keep his UFA options open.

The closer a player gets to UFA, the more likely he reaches it, as the risk of injury pre-contract decreases as the time gets shorter.

If Calgary thinks Johnny is "the real deal", they will never get him cheaper for his UFA years than right now.

Forcing him into a bridge deal when he doesn't what it (though we don't know what he actually wants of long vs. short term) will just increase how hard the negotiations will be when the 2year bridge contract is up and UFA looms that much closer.

Like in all of these situations, time will tell.

Aug 21, 2014
I don't know who Michael Downing and Joe Wegwerth are, but that Florida deal would be astoundingly good for Calgary. Not sure on the CBJ deal; not the biggest fan of Hartnell's contract.

Downing's an aggressive defender. Like maybe too aggressive. Treliving/Burkie had some interest in Wegwerth. (At least in 2014). Downing probably has top 4 potential Wegwerth probably has Bollig 2.0 potential. Just two mean kids. IMO you can never have too many mean kids...

Hartnell's contract is 1 year longer and about 1.5m more per season. Flames still get a great vet but get an increase in grit and production. While Columbus gets rid of Hartnell's contract and saves about 1.5m/season.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
IMO, if Gaudreau "accpets" a bridge deal, it's to keep his UFA options open.

The closer a player gets to UFA, the more likely he reaches it, as the risk of injury pre-contract decreases as the time gets shorter.

If Calgary thinks Johnny is "the real deal", they will never get him cheaper for his UFA years than right now.

Forcing him into a bridge deal when he doesn't what it (though we don't know what he actually wants of long vs. short term) will just increase how hard the negotiations will be when the 2year bridge contract is up and UFA looms that much closer.

Like in all of these situations, time will tell.

If Gaudreau is offered an 8 year 60 million dollar deal and he doesn't take it he's a nut. NHL contracts are guaranteed. Turning down 30 million guaranteed dollars to take a 4 year deal would be a pretty hard pill to swallow if he ever had a career ending injury. He would be 30 at the end of his next deal and would be looking at another 6-7 year big money deal then too.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Ugh, reading the goalie thread made me realize.. The 3 things this team desperately needs, were our 3 biggest assets for years. Top line physical RW, top 3/4 physical, solid defensive Dman, and a legit #1 goalie..

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Leafs scouting Flames hard - link

Wonder if that could be regarding
Bernier (1M retained)
+ tweener on expiring contract

For
Smid
Granlund
5th

Based on comments made it sounds like Smid is a contract that doesn't look good to management the Toronto goalies while nhl caliber aren't looking like true starters and would be hard pressed to grab a 2nd on their own. Flames did have reported interest in Bernier back in December so do the leafs take on a extra year contract to get the price they want for an under performing goalie ?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Bernier/Reimer

For
Smid
2nd+5th

Based on comments made it sounds like Smid is a contract that doesn't look good to management the Toronto goalies while nhl caliber aren't looking like true starters and would be hard pressed to grab a 2nd on their own. Flames did have reported interest in Bernier back in December so do the leafs take on a extra year contract to get the price they want for an under performing goalie ?

Bernier and Remier have very, very, very different values.

Bernier we could probably get for Smid/Raymond and maybe a small, small add.

Reimer if they are taking a Smid/Raymond then we are adding more overall for sure, probably closer to your initial offer.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Bernier and Remier have very, very, very different values.

Bernier we could probably get for Smid/Raymond and maybe a small, small add.

Reimer if they are taking a Smid/Raymond then we are adding more overall for sure, probably closer to your initial offer.

Sorry mixed my offer up as if they are scouting it's probably a player on the team they want for the future but doesn't fit into our plans, enter Markus 'only plays centre' Granlund being a piece that might go this deadline despite all he's done

I'd be more willing to take Bernier between the 2 as I think there is some potential there with both the athleticism and control (but doesn't have a great head for it and may admittedly not be the right choice for a team that allows big chances) Reimer is too deep in his net every time I watch him and I can't see that getting any better.

Last edited:

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
Bernier (1M retained)

For
Smid
Granlund
5th

Smid's upper body injury last night actually might prompt retirement, i think.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Smid's upper body injury last night actually might prompt retirement, i think.

As awful as it is to say that as I really liked Smid when I met him at an event, it would be a boon for us moving forward.

Sorry mixed my offer up as if they are scouting it's probably a player on the team they want for the future but doesn't fit into our plans, enter Markus 'only plays centre' Granlund being a piece that might go this deadline despite all he's done

I think I would be happier giving up Granlund more than a 2nd for what it is worth. I'm not sure he's going to stick with the Flames (or the NHL for that matter) long term. He just reminds me of some of those tweeners we've seen over the years (Lundmark, Boyd, etc).

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
Haven't heard anything but looked to be an arm injury. I guess your speculating a neck problem again?

neck or head, but if just an arm, that would be good news. I think though one more injury to the head and he will call it a career

*i have not heard anything either way as well

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
RIPperoni Roman Numerals. We hardly knew ye....

also, at this point, we have to pay Johnny this year. He's a star 22 yr old playing on a bad team, and has put up amazing numbers in his 2 seasons.
If we could get him for 6.5 it'd be a steal but I'm guessing more around 7-7.5 which I'd be okay with.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
If Gaudreau is offered an 8 year 60 million dollar deal and he doesn't take it he's a nut. NHL contracts are guaranteed. Turning down 30 million guaranteed dollars to take a 4 year deal would be a pretty hard pill to swallow if he ever had a career ending injury. He would be 30 at the end of his next deal and would be looking at another 6-7 year big money deal then too.

I agree.

Though Johnny would be 31 at the end of his 8 year deal, which isn't the best time to be a UFA.

It wouldn't shock me if they settled on a 6 year deal for $42M.

A little less AAV for allowing Johnny to become a UFA at age 29.

I really don't think the Flames will force him to go "bridge contract". The contract will be 6 or 8 years.

The shorter the contract, the lower the AAV. It's the UFA years tacked on that make it more exspensive.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
:laugh: To perfect. I would do terrible things to get prime Kipper back on this team.

By terrible, do you mean the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe?! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

Aug 21, 2014
By terrible, do you mean the encounter could create a time paradox, the results of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space time continuum, and destroy the entire universe?! Granted, that's a worse case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

Well If we win a Stanley cup I think it's worth it.

May 27, 2012
Earth

Star-Lord will save us.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Man I'd do worse, I'd let Trump be supreme emperor to get Kipper back. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->