Confirmed Trade: [ARI/LAK] Sean Durzi to the Coyotes for MTL's 2nd round pick in the 2024 draft

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Arizona has 4 fairly good offensivish D- Moser, Valimaki, Durzi and Soderstrom. I'd probably call Valimaki and Soda a touch bit more "2-way", maybe Moser too. They could use a big, mobile defensive D.
Moser is the 2-way. He’s a rock back there. Soderstrom is trash. For an “offensive” guy, he hasn’t done much in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
clarke slots in easily at $850k or whatever so there's $850k realistic savings and 5D covered. bjornfot or spence cover 6/7D depending on their choices there. kupari probably gets a contract but he doesn't command much i don't think

$8M for vilardi and a goalie is manageable i think

Yeah, I don't see Kupari getting all that much. Vilardi probably $3.5m?

If the 3 D average $900k, that's $2.7m. Leaves about $2.5m-$2.8m for a goalie depending on how much cap space they want to have to start the season for injuries and to accrue in season.

Reactions: tny760

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Durzi is a nice add for ARZ. Gives them a second young OFD after Moser. 2nd for MTL should be around the early 40s range. Another good win-win trade. LAK didn't have a spot for Durzi anymore on their PP1 with Clarke coming in and possibly Spence (with Doughty as well).

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Moser is the 2-way. He’s a rock back there. Soderstrom is trash. For an “offensive” guy. He hasn’t done much in the AHL, let alone the NHL.
ES Pts/60 last year: Valimaki .87, Moser .87, Soda .83

Yeah those .04 pts less makes someone trash.

Reactions: Kaizen

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
My fav Durzi moment

In the finals minutes of a one goal game 7 winner takes all

The very next game he played, game 1 this season, he spent a good 30 seconds running out the clock then sent a breakout pass to a double-covered Kings player - which allowed Vegas to come back and score the winning goal (and no, he didn't help defensively in the transition).

Very skilled inside the opponent's blueline. And he won fans over the first NHL season when he punched above his weight class and showed fight/emotion.

Last season, that emotion just seemed absent all season. And he's incredibly sloppy and borderline brainless in his own zone.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Wow - different modus operandi than we're used to seeing from AZ. Apparently they were serious about being out of the cap dump for assets game.

Good, hopefully the Hawks can fill that role the next couple years.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Kings were probably hoping to get a 2nd this year in return, as that was his approximate value. Whether they flip that for a goalie now, remains to be seen. They have more cash to deal with, which was the main goal.

Arizona did well with this. He’s never going to be anything special but he’ll be a solid role player for years to come.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The very next game he played, game 1 this season, he spent a good 30 seconds running out the clock then sent a breakout pass to a double-covered Kings player - which allowed Vegas to come back and score the winning goal (and no, he didn't help defensively in the transition).

Very skilled inside the opponent's blueline. And he won fans over the first NHL season when he punched above his weight class and showed fight/emotion.

Last season, that emotion just seemed absent all season. And he's incredibly sloppy and borderline brainless in his own zone.
Forgot that was game 1 this year. What a memory.

Reactions: King'sPawn

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Decent return for LA. It’s been discussed a ton. LA needed to move a RD and a 2nd was seen as the ceiling of a return for Durzi. Arizona did good. They have a ton of draft picks and need competent guys to fill out the roster. Good for both teams. LA gains a little more cap flexibility and are expected to be aggressive in the trade market. Figure a high end goalie is topping the list

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
It was pretty clear Durzi would be traded, but this feels very underwhelming. I thought he'd have more value in a package to get a player like Dubois or Wilson or Ullmark

Could still workout. The pick could be used in a trade and maybe a different player included to make the cap situation more favourable to a deal being completed.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Could still workout. The pick could be used in a trade and maybe a different player included to make the cap situation more favourable to a deal being completed.
It very well could, but I would've also thought Durzi at his $1.5m AAV for another year would have more value to a team that isn't Arizona

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The real benefit of the trade, Blake just Billy Beane'd TM, stopping him from going back over and over to his suicidal safety blanket of Durzi on the left and on the PK...most baffling usage of all time and that's saying something coming from the master of pointing the shotgun the wrong direction

Durzi is fine playing within his means, deploy him properly and he's Colin Miller-lite. He took a beating here because the coaching staff insisted on playing him like he was a true #3 which exposes his foot speed and defense.

With all those RHD out the door this offseason, Kings D looks stronger, Doughty - Anderson / Gavrikov - Clarke / Bjornfot-Roy-Spence combo thus far

I could compain about the year and the team, and that it's probably depreciated value from last year (a recurring theme), but that would be splitting hairs. It's a good trade otherwise. You would just like to think that contract had better value, too.

But has that 'afterthought' feeling of a precursor trade, this should be a foreshock to either a Vilardi signing or a bigger move

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
So it ends up as: Grundstrom + 1st rounder + high 2nd rounder for Muzzin lol

Reactions: funky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad