Are the Leafs stupid not to get a 1D

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
OEL has had one "bad" season in his entire career, and that one season (last year) was still better than most defenseman have in their career.

+/- is a joke, and when people see him play they'll get over it.
OEL has been bad this year as well.
Agreed 100%-+/_ is a horrific stat. But boy, would it suddebly become relevant on the leafs.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
OEL has been bad this year as well.
Agreed 100%-+/_ is a horrific stat. But boy, would it suddebly become relevant on the leafs.

No he's actually been fantastic this year, especially relative to his garbage team.

Lol we gotta shut out da haterz. I find it hard to believe people won't immediately see a top-10 defensive defenseman in hockey when they actually watch the guy play.

Reactions: weems

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No, they aren't stupid.

Acquiring a 1D

and

Acquiring a 1D right now, are 2 different things.

I'm not quite sure what the urgency here is. A part of the reason why this rebuild has worked, is because the Leafs (and fans) have been prepared to be patient. We get just a wiff of success, and people are ready to forget being patient and be reckless?

The right deal isn't currently out there, and I'm not convinced that the time is now for the Leafs to add - I think that comes once the kids contracts kick in.

Plus, there's a real chance that Karlsson / Doughty / McDonaugh reach free agency after next season. The smart play is to wait, see what you can get then, see what you have in Liljegren, and then readjust from there.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No he's actually been fantastic this year, especially relative to his garbage team.

Lol we gotta shut out da haterz. I find it hard to believe people won't immediately see a top-10 defensive defenseman in hockey when they actually watch the guy play.
Based on what exactly?

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Personally, leading up to the deadline i'm trying to deal JVR for a 1st+ decent prospect.

Im then going to pair this 1st+prospect+anybody but Lil from the system including Dermott for EK. (Provided an extension is worked out beforehand, which was the case prior to the Andy trade). If it needs more i'd add more within reason.

We have a core, we have a very good prospect pool and a capable scouting staff who SHOULD be able to draft well in the latter half of each round.

EK is a generational defender, regardless of his defensive short comings, so the fact hes on the market and has (as well as Mellnyk) pretty much forced Dorian's hand is too good an opportunity to miss.

We are currently a playoff team, with this move we become a cup contender. Its worth weakening the team this season in order to strengthen the team for the next 10 years.

Reactions: connormcmuffin

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Based on what exactly?

Of the 181 defenseman that have played over 500 minutes this season:

Rel.CA60: -6.35 (6th)
Rel.CF%: +4.15 (22nd)
Rel.xGF%: +4.17 (27th)
iCF60: 11.99 (42nd)
ixGF60: 0.27 (T-21st)

This guy has been an absolute defensive stud, and well above average offensively this season. You try putting up 30 points and a positive +/- as a defenseman on Arizona.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
That will only change when Babcock leaves.

They blow the zone because that's what they're supposed to be doing otherwise Babcock would have changed that.

he did change it.

Problem was, as soon as he did we stopped scoring and more importantly winning.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's not exactly 'easy' to get a #1 D.

And besides, we have a pretty good on in Rielly. What we don't have is very good depth.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I totally expect Leafs to make considerable upgrades tbis deadline - but im of the minority that we wait just ine more year, trade what we can, and go in full throttle next year - this is regular season. They are still too inexperiences to go deep

And now with Matthews out for extended period..

I agree in general, as this is logical and ultimately inevitable. More draft talent coming up + Older Vets gone + Young stars/rookies with more experience = Punching harder next year

But to not go for it this year is missing on the opportunity this year presents ;

Atlantic Division is weak besides TB and Bos. The pressure of 1 or 2 teams behind you by a couple points affects a teams psyche, and the leafs going through learning slumps this season surely benefited of knowing they were sitting with a cushion for points to alleviate 'Monkey on back' syndrome

Freddy is reliable, but who knows how he is next season. You never know when a goalie is gonna pull a Price, or be injured.

Aside from the nagging Matthews Injury, Zaits and Reilly's, Leafs have been pretty healthy. God forbid an injury that actually affects the team. AKA We were OK with Matthews gone the first IR stint, but felt his absence in the second stint.

A forum Favorite : Babcock might go back to his classic babcockian logic lineups that kill chemistry and scoring chances, like Komorov with Nylander and Matthews.

Each year is different, and we seem to able to handle the Bolts,Bruins,Pens, OK, and can hang/skate faster with Preds

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Are you trying to say Rielly is not a #1D but Chris Tanev is? Good lord Tanev is overrated on here. He can't stay health and has no offensive abilities.

Yep, I'm saying Tanev is a Norris trophy candidate and Rielly should be in the ECHL, I'm not in interested in discussing how the Leafs improve their blueline, you saw through my crypto-Canuck fanhood.

I am humbled by this astute criticism.

Fabs

Dec 19, 2005
Nevermind a #1 D. Team would be be better off not spending the assets on one and just going after a guy who can play with Gardiner and cover up for his mistakes. He's never going to get it together in the Leafs end and Zaitsev isn't helping. That pairing is just monstrous this season in a very bad way.

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Personally, leading up to the deadline i'm trying to deal JVR for a 1st+ decent prospect.

Im then going to pair this 1st+prospect+anybody but Lil from the system including Dermott for EK. (Provided an extension is worked out beforehand, which was the case prior to the Andy trade). If it needs more i'd add more within reason.

We have a core, we have a very good prospect pool and a capable scouting staff who SHOULD be able to draft well in the latter half of each round.

EK is a generational defender, regardless of his defensive short comings, so the fact hes on the market and has (as well as Mellnyk) pretty much forced Dorian's hand is too good an opportunity to miss.

We are currently a playoff team, with this move we become a cup contender. Its worth weakening the team this season in order to strengthen the team for the next 10 years.
Exactly what I'm thinking but OEL.

People talk in this false dichotomy that if we trade for one then we have no farm team but turning Bozak and/or JVR into picks at the deadline for ammo on the summer trade market softens the blow.

Let's say JVR can bring in a 1st and 3rd, Bozak a late 1st or 2nd then we add our first, one of our seconds and Zaitsev (that roster player that GMs moan about).

Zaitsev, 2 or 3 firsts, 1 or 2 seconds, 3rd and Zaitsev if the kind of package that works in reality.

It's like asking would give up some expiring contracts/own rentals for one of the league's best defenseman.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
It's tough trading for a #1D in the cap world

Drafting a #1D costs 1 pick and you get long term cost control.
Trading for a prospect/young player that might become one (Sergachev, etc) costs some assets + you get some cost control.
Trading for a #1D outright costs a boatload of assets + lots of $$$ shortly after, or they walk.

I'd stand pat. I don't see a trade that wouldn't gut the team.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I'd rather take a more holistic approach to things.

I would pursue any players at any position if the price were right and it made sense for our franchise.

Do I want Tavares for 11M a year? No, but if he wants to take a hometown 8M welcome aboard.

If Tanev is available for a 2nd + Nielsen and OEL is available for Nylander, I would take the Tanev deal.

There should be no hard and fast rules about what we need or do, that is how you end up with Hall for Larsson trades. We should be open minded and seek moves that represent what we feel is good value to our franchise.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
We have Rielly, we will have chances at impactful top 4 dmen with Liligren and Dermott they would be stupid to think this is as big of a need as fans/media do. I don't buy into this "were still rebuilding" insistence as much as others because the team is already very good but patience on the blueline is required even the best teams in the league have holes on par with our current roster's with two very promising young dmen already in the pipeline and supposedly the best scouts in the business this is just hand wringing for the sake of hand wringing.

While I wouldn't mind adding Tanev or someone of his ilk there is no need to overpay for him which is likely what it would take. Reading about Karlsson or Doughty just makes me sad for you guys, the era of envying everyone else's star players is over this team is going to make the playoffs every year for the next decade and if we don't panic they'll be a consistent cup threat, we have our stars we don't need anyone else's.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
So, these # 1D are that important? Kings finished out of the playoffs last year with Doughty and might miss again this year. Tampa has been inconsistent throughout the years even with Hedman. OEL (who isn't an # 1, but I'll play along) has led Arizona to what? Karlsson, three playoff rounds win in seven years. Weber, little playoff success in his career.
So tell me, what the magic of having this mystical # 1 and how he leads a team to instant success?

Reactions: mulefarm

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leaf fans really are clueless at evaluating defenseman. Read this and learn that Rielly is a bonafide #1D.

Morgan Rielly’s Evolution into a #1 Defenceman

“Rielly’s team has significantly outshot the opposition when he’s on the ice.
To give you an idea of just how difficult that is, here’s a list of defencemen who face elite competition (90th percentile or higher), have a positive shot differential relative to their teammates, and are on pace for over 50 points this season:
  • Drew Doughty
  • Victor Hedman
  • Morgan Rielly
That’s it.”

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
imo, thinking they HAVE to get a #1 D man before the deadline is stupid, acquiring one before next season would be another foundational block to the rebuild. Hold Fast Lou...........

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I would love OEL. Offer liljegren a first .... how many times has this been posted.

But seriously if we can get oel we’re looking good.

Chayka would prob want liljegren 1st 2nd kapanen/leivo to start and rightly so.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00