Are the Leafs stupid not to get a 1D

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
Boy would Trouba be an incredible piece to have.

Winnipeg parts with him shortly after Hell freezes over, but damn..... he would fit this team like a glove.
To sell or not to sell our UFA's, the return is the question.
To buy or not to buy, the price is the question.
Yes, we should go after Trouba if indeed he is available and if the price is right. I'd offer a 2nd round pick and Leivo for him. Not good enough, says Everydayoff? Hey, the guy is on IR, so he is not much good for us this year. OK, to sweeten the pot I'd throw in Polak .... reluctantly.

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
MORGAN RIELLY = #1D

Name 20 better defensemen in the league, than Mo. Rielly.

Most users on HF Boards do not know jack $h*t about hockey. Rielly is an elite 2-WAY D.

Rielly is amazing defensively (positionally, stick checks, rarely turns the puckover) ....

Rielly is a top 10 "Mobile Defensemen" in the NHL, Passes are ELITE, Shot for a D-MAN is ELITE. wtf DO YOU WANT MORE FROM RIELLY.

Yes no shiz, Rielly is no Karlsson, but he is a #1D, and HOW TF is McDounagh better than Rielly // Please watch hockey before commenting/

Reactions: Critical
Sep 18, 2009
MORGAN RIELLY = #1D

Most users on HF Boards do not know jack $h*t about hockey. Rielly is an elite 2-WAY D.

Rielly is amazing defensively (positionally, stick checks, rarely turns the puckover) ....

Rielly is a top 10 "Mobile Defensemen" in the NHL, Passes are ELITE, Shot for a D-MAN is ELITE. wtf DO YOU WANT MORE FROM RIELLY.

Yes no shiz, Rielly is no Karlsson, but he is a #1D, and HOW TF is McDounagh better than Rielly // Please watch hockey before commenting/

Rielly has been skaky since coming back from injury
Dumb plays all around
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

2legit2quit

Oct 27, 2017
Rielly has been skaky since coming back from injury
Dumb plays all around
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Yeah, he might have a couple games here and there off. But for the most part, he plays like a #1D.

HELL, even Karlsson/ PK Subban look dumb some nights ..

Remember Leafs vs Sens or Leafs vs Preds??

BOTH Subban and Karlsson made stupid plays which led to leafs goals .

Yet Subban/Karlsson are still top #1Ds

Typical Leaf fans, 2-3 bad games .... " OH MY GOD, TRADE RIELLY, TANK, TANK WE WONT GET ANYWHERE!!! "

This is exactly why Leaf fans are a joke. Learn to appreciate.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I believe if the Leafs were in a position to ship 3-4 assets out it would be for a guy like OEL I'm not going to argue about what it would take but my belief it would be our first this year, our first last year, so the young swede dman, probably a guy like Bracco and one of Brown/Kapanen. Trouba would take a lot but not as much but he is a quality defender.

After watching Dermott play for a while here, I think the Leafs should wait. I think we have a really special player there. His skating is phenomenal, his agility, he reminds me so much of Duncan Keith. It would never hurt to churn the bottom of the roster but we have some quality dmen here already.

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
Do we need one to win? No. Obviously if the price is right it would certainly help but with our forward group and goaltending we can live without one and still win. I do think they need to add another top 4 to the mix but not neccessarily a 1D. We need another stabilizer like Hainsey, but ideally younger.

Willie Oree

Nov 30, 2010
6-8-5-13
How available are 1D's? Karlsson is fantastic but would never be traded to Toronto... I really think the way to acquire defensemen is by cultivating from within unless of course there is a scenario like McDonagh where his team is in tank mode.

What would it cost to acquire him for a yr and a half? if it means going for broke I will be visited with trepidation.

B prospects and a high pick is as far as I am willing to go.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So some fans are upset if the Leafs even give up a second rounder (The worst of 2 second rounders they have). Others want to sell the farm for a slow defensive DMan.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
MORGAN RIELLY = #1D

HAHAHAHA you so funny ! wait your serious ? figure it out bud you boy is mediocre at best , Gets walked more than my neighbors incontinent dog , never wins a puck battle in the corner , stands around watching the play around him in our end , heck most nights they ought to give him a chair and a box of popcorn when he goes over the boards leaves his man in front of the net , the list goes on and on , yeah he can skate but thats it .
You want a list of 20 better in the league I'll give ya two on our team Jake Gardiner and Ron Hainsey -figure it out bud !

Oh and to answer the OP yes ! and we should fix it by tricking Melnyk into trading us Karlsson for Reilly as quick as we can .

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
HAHAHAHA you so funny ! wait your serious ? figure it out bud you boy is mediocre at best , Gets walked more than my neighbors incontinent dog , never wins a puck battle in the corner , stands around watching the play around him in our end , heck most nights they ought to give him a chair and a box of popcorn when he goes over the boards leaves his man in front of the net , the list goes on and on , yeah he can skate but thats it .
You want a list of 20 better in the league I'll give ya two on our team Jake Gardiner and Ron Hainsey -figure it out bud !

Oh and to answer the OP yes ! and we should fix it by tricking Melnyk into trading us Karlsson for Reilly as quick as we can .
Rielly is a #1 Dman. Not in the same tier as Doughty, Karlsson, Josi, Subban, or Weber. But id put him up there with OEL or McDonagh

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

All of the advanced stats say you are wrong. Rielly is a clear-cut #1.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
BTW, for anyone who thinks we should have traded our UFAs and not gone for anything this year, did you see how the Blues mailed it in after the Stastny trade and were destroyed? You can't do that to a team that's top 5 in the NHL.

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Our LD looks pretty good with Rielly Gardiner Dermott and Borgman.

We have top 4 dmen in Zaitsev and Hainsey.

We need just of our bottom 6 dmen to step up: Polak Carrick Holl Liljegren

We're not doing too bad for the second year. We are one top 4 dman away from perennial contendership.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Look at the great Calgary defence......Hamilton, Brodie, Giardino, Stone, Hamonic, that 24m and likely out of the playoffs. Teams achieve success or lack of it differently. Leaf shouldn't be concerned about this meaningless # 1 Dmen. Just have your top six/seven play as well as they can. Admitting Carrick/Polak should be replaced next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->