Are the Leafs stupid not to get a 1D

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
We have a gaping whole in the lineup, yeah I love Rielly but our blueline is still thin given Tanev, Karlsson, OEL and McDonagh are to some degree out there this deadline and up coming draft should it be imperative to land one?

Is this the kind of window you look back on and question why didn't you pull the trigger.

Even take a run at John Carlson as a UFA or a Trouba deal in July

To that end I'm ok with flipping JVR and/or Bozak for picks as ammo for a July deal.

-edit- Liljegren is off the table IMO, I'm a fanboy for Ryan Merkley so this thread is me questioning my blind faith in the draft, by all means bash my opinion looking for diverse hot takes and such.

Last edited:

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
We have a gaping whole in the lineup, yeah I love Rielly but our blueline is still thin given Tanev, Karlsson, OEL and McDonagh are to some degree out there this deadline and up coming draft should it be imperative to land one?

Is this the kind of window you look back on and question why didn't you pull the trigger.

Even take a run at John Carlson as a UFA or a Trouba deal in July

To that end I'm ok with flipping JVR and/or Bozak for picks as ammo for a July deal.

Exactly what ive been saying all along. This year is not the year. Tampa/boston way too good this year to pass the 1st round. They would be considerable underdogs to win round 1

Reactions: connormcmuffin

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
it's crazy funny that people put Tanev in the same sentence as Karlsson/McDonagh/OEL.

and we do have a #1 dman.

That being said, yes, we should go out and get another #1 dman.
They have availability that's what puts them in the same sentence.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The Leafs defence will improve markedly when the Leaf forwards stop blowing the zone early, start paying closer attention to their assignments, not get caught deep, support the D properly on pinches and when the D challenges the opposition forwards on zone entries, and can win a board battle or 2. Not to mention being on the right side of the puck more often.

None of that is on the D, and you could get the 6 best D-men in the league playing for the Leafs, but the issues will remain the same.

It may not be the sexy answer, but it is the one that will bring the most success at the cheapest price.

Last edited:

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Tavares yes on a short term deal - something that is impossible... my thing with JT is that hes too slow and will only slow down further - league is getting faster by the year

think of it this way. With Matthews banged up, we wouldn't lose a step. Imagine one of those two not being the focus of every team in the league if they are on the same team.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
The Leafs defence will improve markedly when the Leaf forwards stop blowing the zone early, start paying closer attention to their assignments, not get caught deep, support the D properly on pinches and when the D challenges the opposition forwards on zone entries, and can win a board battle or 2. Not to mention often being on the wrong side of the puck.

None of that is on the D, and you could get the 6 best D-men in the league playing for the Leafs, but the issues will remain the same.

It may not be the sexy answer, but it is the one that will bring the most success at the cheapest price.

Totally agree. I think its about giving it time and more playoff experiences to grow into this type of team. We dont need a 'number 1' we can have several 3-4s instead

Reactions: kb

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Exactly what ive been saying all along. This year is not the year. Tampa/boston way too good this year to pass the 1st round. They would be considerable underdogs to win round 1

the leafs are 5th in the NHL....its not like Tampa/Boston arent gonna be good next year. we have to get by them at some point.

this team is on pace to have the best regular season in leafs history...but this year is not the year? c'mon man!

Reactions: 2legit2quit

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Leafs defense is one of the worst for any team in the playoffs. We need to add more than just a #1D

12th/31 thus far in GA/gm.

Pens,caps,wild,flames heck even the devils have been worse. I think the leafs have been around top 5 since november after a horrid october

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
the leafs are 5th in the NHL....its not like Tampa/Boston arent gonna be good next year. we have to get by them at some point.

this team is on pace to have the best regular season in leafs history...but this year is not the year? c'mon man!

I totally expect Leafs to make considerable upgrades tbis deadline - but im of the minority that we wait just ine more year, trade what we can, and go in full throttle next year - this is regular season. They are still too inexperiences to go deep

And now with Matthews out for extended period..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->