Are the Leafs really that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
More like the team shut down any player who was injured after the beginning of March. They could have came back, but tanking and shady dealings prevented it.

I don't even know what you mean by your last statement. What roster are Nylander and Rielly being removed from?

Nylander only played 22 games at the end of that season. After players were shut down.

What point are you even trying to make?

What I am saying is that injuries can scuttle a season pretty hard.

Losing key players off your roster is going to affect your teams performance but some people seem to have the notion that that is not the case.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
You're arguing against a point that no one is making and I am the disillusion one?

I didn't sift through all of your posts, but you're usually the most vocal Jets fan that inexplicably comes into Leaf threads to tell us how much better your team is than ours. Or am I mistaken about that?...

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I didn't sift through all of your posts, but you're usually the most vocal Jets fan that inexplicably comes into Leaf threads to tell us how much better your team is than ours. Or am I mistaken about that?...

That doesn't sound like me. I get into it with Leaf fans from time to time but I am normally not the one to fire the first shot (so to say). The last Leafs thread I posted in outside of this one was the Matthews one where I called him a legit top-tier talent so....take that for what it's worth.

I am not crapping over the Leafs when I say that injuries will have an effect on a teams performance.
I am not crapping over the Leafs when I say that a coach plays a big part in team success.
I am not crapping over the Leafs when I say that the year they dealt with the same injuries we did last year, they were last in the league. This one sounds like I am crapping on them but I am putting our season last year into context.

I certainly don't go into Leafs threads and start spouting that our team is better. I think our teams are a lot closer talent wise than most people in these threads do but you're as good as your on ice success says you are. Right now the Leafs are at the top and we are trying to claw our way out of the same old crap that's held us down before.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
What happened the recent year that you guys were hit with a tonne of injuries?

Oh yeah you were the worst team in the league and got 1 shiny Auston Matthews out of the deal.

Remove Rielly and Nylander from your roster and tell me how great you think things would go.

No doubt injuries played a big part in the Jets being a middling team last season, at the same time I think the Leafs ran into an unlucky streak of losing out on additional points in OT/SO. The arguments in the summer mostly made assertions that an injury-riddled Jets team would be at the level of the Leafs had the former team stayed relatively healthy, but I think there's a bit of a difference between them, mostly coming down to the coaching staffs and goaltending. Jets are currently wasting away the ELC/cheap years of some of their best players because of those two facets.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
No doubt injuries played a big part in the Jets being a middling team last season, at the same time I think the Leafs ran into an unlucky streak of losing out on additional points in OT/SO. The arguments in the summer was that an injury-riddled Jets team would be at the level of the Leafs had the former team stayed relatively healthy, but I think there's a bit of a difference between them, mostly coming down to the coaching staffs and goaltending. Jets are currently wasting away the ELC/cheap years of some of their best players because of those two facets.

That's 100% fair.

Reactions: TheLeastOfTheBunch

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region
That doesn't sound like me. I get into it with Leaf fans from time to time but I am normally not the one to fire the first shot (so to say). The last Leafs thread I posted in outside of this one was the Matthews one where I called him a legit top-tier talent so....take that for what it's worth.

I am not crapping over the Leafs when I say that injuries will have an effect on a teams performance.
I am not crapping over the Leafs when I say that a coach plays a big part in team success.
I am not crapping over the Leafs when I say that the year they dealt with the same injuries we did last year, they were last in the league. This one sounds like I am crapping on them but I am putting our season last year into context.

I certainly don't go into Leafs threads and start spouting that our team is better. I think our teams are a lot closer talent wise than most people in these threads do but you're as good as your on ice success says you are. Right now the Leafs are at the top and we are trying to claw our way out of the same old crap that's held us down before.

Well if that's the case, then my apologies to you. Rival fans sometimes parrot the same bs towards the Leafs as a thinly veiled way to goof on them, just sick of the bias on here (from both sides I might add). And yes, I wholeheartedly agree that both the Jets and Leafs are very comparable in terms of on ice talent and are a great coach away from making alot of noise in the league. Only a fool would tell you otherwise. As a Leaf fan, I'm sure you know by now that Maurice isn't necessarily a bad coach, but he definitely has a shelf life. Until that happens, they may toil in purgatory a little longer so to speak. Hopefully not too long.

Best of luck to the Jets this season.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Well if that's the case, then my apologies to you. Rival fans sometimes parrot the same bs towards the Leafs as a thinly veiled way to goof on them, just sick of the bias on here (from both sides I might add). And yes, I wholeheartedly agree that both the Jets and Leafs are very comparable in terms of on ice talent and are a great coach away from making alot of noise in the league. Only a fool would tell you otherwise. As a Leaf fan, I'm sure you know by now that Maurice isn't necessarily a bad coach, but he definitely has a shelf life. Until that happens, they may toil in purgatory so to speak.

Best of luck to the Jets this season.

No worries at all. I am 100% guilty of confusing people myself. I agree with it all! There's certainly some animosity between Leafs and Jets fans AS A WHOLE. Not in most individual cases but it's impossible to go into one of these threads and not see some sort of vitriol spewed (of which....I sheepishly have been guilty of if I am in the wrong mood :|).

I think you nailed it with the shelf-life comment. I think he's lost the ear of the room. I could go on and on but this is a Leafs thread so I'll let it at this.

Best of luck to you guys too.....until we meet again...then I want revenge for the season opened :p

possesthepuck

Nov 23, 2013
Kenora Ontario
One thing that gets forgotten is just how rugged the leafs have become. Watching them against the caps they were clogging lanes like the best of them. Extremely tough team that gets away with alot of psychical stuff because the league is cracking down on slashing right now. Only thing holding them back is defensive lapses that occur regularily in young teams. Zaitsev is Voynov good too.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No worries at all. I am 100% guilty of confusing people myself. I agree with it all! There's certainly some animosity between Leafs and Jets fans AS A WHOLE. Not in most individual cases but it's impossible to go into one of these threads and not see some sort of vitriol spewed (of which....I sheepishly have been guilty of if I am in the wrong mood :|).

I think you nailed it with the shelf-life comment. I think he's lost the ear of the room. I could go on and on but this is a Leafs thread so I'll let it at this.

Best of luck to you guys too.....until we meet again...then I want revenge for the season opened :p

I didn’t think it was much with jets fans. Hope that is all over now that the Calder garbage is done. I like the personnel on the Jets. They can put it together and be a nightmare. Canadian teams with big talent in different conferences. What’s not to like???

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

Pocket Hercules

Jun 19, 2008
York Region

I also agree with the "blind animosity" towards Jets and Leafs fan and taking bait from another fan in form of a petty jab. This is also something that I am guilty as charged with as well. I'm kinda suprised that Chevy didn't at least inquire about Claude Julien or even Gerald Gallant's availability when he had the chance. But yes, I have a feeling that we're going to be fierce rivals (in a good, competitive way) in the very near future. Again, best of luck! :)

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I don't think there is any question that they are the favorites to come out of the East. They should compete for the cup annually now for the next decade. I think if we look back 10 years from now and the Leafs don't have at least 4 cups, we'll have to rate it as disappointing.

I'm glad you're not setting yourself up for disappointment. Only 4 cups in 10 years.. I say go for at least six!

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I didn’t think it was much with jets fans. Hope that is all over now that the Calder garbage is done. I like the personnel on the Jets. They can put it together and be a nightmare. Canadian teams with big talent in different conferences. What’s not to like???

Same with the Leafs. I just wished we played you guys more than twice a year so we could get a REAL strong rivalry going. Guess we will just have to meet in the finals ;)

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I also agree with the "blind animosity" towards Jets and Leafs fan and taking bait from another fan in form of a petty jab. This is also something that I am guilty as charged with as well. I'm kinda suprised that Chevy didn't at least inquire about Claude Julien or even Gerald Gallant's availability when he had the chance. But yes, I have a feeling that we're going to be fierce rivals (in a good, competitive way) in the very near future. Again, best of luck! :)

Bah it's all good. It's the internet. No one is allowed to have feelings on the internet lol.

I still don't want to turn this into a Jets thread but I had to reply to this:

"I'm kinda suprised that Chevy didn't at least inquire about Claude Julien or even Gerald Gallant's availability when he had the chance."

YOU AND ME BOTH!

I don't mind Maurice but we need a top tier coach ASAP.

Okay Okay I am done. Peace!

Reactions: Pocket Hercules

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It hurts to say but Yes the Leafs may be that good ie actual stanley cup contenders.

The offense is terrific

The coaching is terrific

The defense is better than non leaf fans like to credit them for

Anderson is a legit #1 goalie

And Matthews is even better than advertised. He may be a top 5 player in the league. He is so good.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
What happened the recent year that you guys were hit with a tonne of injuries?

Oh yeah you were the worst team in the league and got 1 shiny Auston Matthews out of the deal.

Remove Rielly and Nylander from your roster and tell me how great you think things would go.

The Leafs had the worst roster in the entire NHL. injuries had nothing to do with it. Did you see that roster?

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
What I am saying is that injuries can scuttle a season pretty hard.

Losing key players off your roster is going to affect your teams performance but some people seem to have the notion that that is not the case.

Well yeah, we did see that last year. Rielly sprained his ankle, and Andersen missed training camp. Neither were out long-term, but still had a big effect. The standings last year were and understatement of the talent the team did have, even if slightly.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The injury issue is overplayed for the Jets and the lack of injuries for the Leafs is vastly overplayed.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Matthews and Babcock have turned the team around. Don't know which is a bigger impact, probably Matthews.

We'll see if this holds but the metrics suggest the Leafs success is sustainable. Toronto being good is good for the league tbh, everyone hates them so the fact that they're good means eyeballs on the t.v. screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad