Are the Leafs really that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Point is they would even out eventually. They were underperforming their xGF, at some point their actual GF would catch up to their expected. We're going to have to see after the game what their new xGF is but the Leafs have been unlucky far more often than they've been lucky this season.

I think this is pretty good evidence that these statistics are flawed.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
It’s a step in the right direction. I have no doubt that they will score less goals but at the same time i’m pretty sure they will tighten up defensively
I can say I would much rather be watching the Toronto offense than Chicago vs St. Louis on nbcsn.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think this is pretty good evidence that these statistics are flawed.

Can you point to what parts you think are flawed? Are Leaf shots from certain distances less likely to go in than another team's shots from the same distance?

The stat isn't really flawed, if they keep shooting at the volume and distance they're shooting from now, they're likely to see their goal/game totals go up. You could make an argument that they'll stop shooting at this volume and distance, but that doesn't mean the stat is flawed.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Can you point to what parts you think are flawed? Are Leaf shots from certain distances less likely to go in than another team's shots from the same distance?

The stat isn't really flawed, if they keep shooting at the volume and distance they're shooting from now, they're likely to see their goal/game totals go up. You could make an argument that they'll stop shooting at this volume and distance, but that doesn't mean the stat is flawed.

My mistake: His interpretation of the stat is flawed.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
My mistake: His interpretation of the stat is flawed.
I mean he is right about us being technically "unlucky" on the year, as ridiculous as that is when you're scoring 5 goals a game. That doesn't mean we're going to sustain this level obviously.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
They look great, Matthews is the real deal and they have amazing coaching from the best in the biz. It's early but they are clicking on all cylinders.

member 290103

Looking good again tonight...but I can't say anything good about the Leafs are their fans get upset and accuse me of trolling.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
As a result of an offense only system....

It isn't a bad thing, it works. I don't expect it to yield a Cup on its own is all.
No. As a result of talent. You're not giving the talent credit and trying trying to make an excuse. And the Leafs are a clear cup contender.
Matthews/Marner/Nylander/JVR/Kadri/Bozak/Brown/Marleau/Bozak. You really thinks those guy can hit 50 because of the system? Kapanen would be on a majority of NHL teams right now as well. The depth is the best in the NHL.

Last edited:

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
This team is amazing. Seriously, who can stop them?

I was expecting a 6/7th in the conference baby step. But we're gonna win the division if Tampa can just falter a bit.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Its a very hot start, but they do have a talented and entertaining team. I can't fault them. But hey look at edmonton, I doubt anyone thought they would look this bad this year. So they may continue to be good, but likely won't sustain it over the whole season. But it does take the pressure off come april.

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
We've seen the Leafs flatter to deceive befor. This feels different. They are excellent.
If only the outlying minority of Leafs fans with the chest thinking arrogance would lay off, us neutrals could appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad