Are the Leafs really that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
I'm asking because I have watched their last 2 games (as well as the opener) and I was not impressed at all.

Offensively, they have elite talent and are extremely potent but defensively, I don't see anything special there. Goaltending wise, they're rather shaky. They've allowed at least 3 goals in all but their opening game. It never feels like they control the pace game. They givre away lots of chances.

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
Last 2 games haven't been great, and yea there are still holes on defense and inconsistent goaltending. You have to establish what you mean by "that good" though.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
One of the best offenses in the league. Really weak defense. A solid goalie, however if someone even brushes his head he could be done for the year. I consider them a lock for the playoffs as long as Freddy stays healthy, beyond that it's a crapshoot. I'm not sure how they'll do in the playoffs when everything locks down and scoring dries up. It could go either way.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Pretty much look as I predicted thus far. Offensively insane enough to cover up defensive issues, but will struggle if an opposing team keeps them under 2/3 goals.

Basically will score lots but will be scored on lots.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Both the team's defense and Andersen were quite a bit better at the end of last year than they have been to start this year. The offense is even better. If the Leafs can get the goaltending we know Andersen is capable of and the defense can tighten up to where they were last year, we're in very good shape.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Last night was arguably their worst game.

They have a top 3 offence in the league, can score goals with ease. Yes their offence is that good, but of course their defence isn't amazing which shouldnt be surprising to anyone.

Andersen had a bad start last year, I expect him to turn it around.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I'm asking because I have watched their last 2 games (as well as the opener) and I was not impressed at all.

Offensively, they have elite talent and are extremely potent but defensively, I don't see anything special there. Goaltending wise, they're rather shaky. They've allowed at least 3 goals in all but their opening game. It never feels like they control the pace game. They givre away lots of chances.

Signs of a young team. They have good moments but consistency lacks. Offence is as good as anyone's, D is questionable and goaltending has been inconsistent but should level out.

They are entertaining in both aides of the puck but the last 2 games (particulary in Montreal) were boring to watch. Time will tell if they are actually good but I see them as a 7-9 team in the East. They should get in but somewhere near the bottom.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
They have outplayed all their opponents so far except in the Montreal game- where they didn't really get outplayed, more like outworked. The goaltending duel last night was a wash but all last night showed is how many game-breakers we have on our team. Our margin of error is larger than a team like Montreal, which lacks skill.....doesn't matter if they out-work us...we have our talent to fall-back on now (unlike previous iterations of the team). That is probably the main solace about this team as a Leafs fan.

I should say, we also got outworked by the Devils the game before- as to keep things consistent.

Now it's all about peaking with that talent because to be quite frank, we haven't really reached consistency (a point Babcock noted) yet.

I will say...our defenders aren't nearly as bad as advertised. Our defense needs work though. I really think its just a select few culprits. Mostly team defense (the Bozak line), the bottom pairing, and on the odd occasion, Gardiner or Rielly have an off night.

Andersen comes and goes. He's had a few solid games and a few barn burners. He hasn't stolen a single game yet.

Zaits and Hainsey have been rock solid for us for the most part.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's worth noting that last night was the first game where we didn't have a sizable territorial edge in our game, and even then we apparently had a big lead in expected goals? Saw something about that on twitter, but haven't checked myself yet.

Reactions: DriveFor9th

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Good enough to compete for the playoffs.

Any discussion of how far in the playoffs they could go is just silly.

We don't know trade deadline rosters, health or match ups.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
No, man. They suck.

They are scoring about 5 goals a game with sustainable underlying numbers, but who needs goals anyway.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Should be a playoff team. I'm not expecting them to contend this year, but I've seen crazier things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad