Are the Leafs really that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Don't get ahead of yourselves just yet. Being the best team in the regular season doesn't always imply playoff success. I have high hopes for the Leafs, but pump the brakes a little bit until you see it unfold in the playoffs.

As a Caps fan, we got ahead of ourselves far too many times, crowning ourselves as the favourites to come out of the East, but it never happened. Temper your expectations, and hope for the best.

It could save you a lot of heartbreak if things don't turn out well :)

Good advice. Not sure if that guy is really a fan or just trying to get a reaction. Can't imagine anyone being serious that less than 4 of the next 10 cups is a disappointment

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Yes they are that good. And yes this thread is unbareablr as a Leaf fan. Just went through 4 pages of 4 poster is a Leafs circle jerk going back and forth saying how good they are and making little quips about how others call us a bubble team and eat crow.

I really see no reason this should be a thread on the main boards, just a bunch of children talking shit.

Reactions: BVG

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't think there is any question that they are the favorites to come out of the East. They should compete for the cup annually now for the next decade. I think if we look back 10 years from now and the Leafs don't have at least 4 cups, we'll have to rate it as disappointing.

Wat8.jpg

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
HeavensGate.png
The real hurdle for many fans, leafs fans and non leaf fans alike, will be admitting that this is a very good defense corps the leafs have.

once we admit that, it'll all start to make more sense.
You sound like a cult leader. Just believe what I tell you that isn't true and everything in your life will fall in place!

Leafs finally have a very good team. No clue why some fans can't just be happy with that they have without being full of crap about other aspects.

At first glance it looks like Reggie Dunlop but it's actually Marshall Applewhite.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
It pains me so to see Winnipeg and Edmonton struggle. After a summer of being told how good they were and how bad we were it is hard to understand the standings.
I was perplexed about Jets' D in the last game. All the goals were purely on them being asleep. But it doesn't help that their offense is struggling too.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Defensive Stats per 60min

#7 54.7 corsi against
#7 41.2 fenwick against
#14 31.0 shots against
#11 2.89 expected goals against
#19 3.13 goals against
#19 .899 save percentage

At Even Strength only:

#4 51.6 corsi against
#7 38.8 fenwick against
#9 28.1 shots against
#19 2.56 expected goals against
#23 2.86 goals against
#26 .898 save percentage

Penalty Kill only

#8 96.2 corsi against
#10 71.9 fenwick against
#10 55.2 shots against
#7 5.73 expected goals against
#9 6.41 goals against
#15 .884 save percentage

it's a good defensive team, and as andy's even strength save percentage gets back to normal the goals against number will continue to look better.

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
Leafs look great so far, but I think it's a tad hubristic to crown them champions after six games. Still, they look like the real deal which, given last season's results, their offseason moves and their expected internal improvement doesn't seem particularly shocking. I'm curious to see if Edmonton's early struggles turn out to be small sample noise / missing Draisaitl or if there are deeper issues ...

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Some of the Odds makers have them as the cup favorite right now.

http://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/odds/futures

Haha come on. Leafs win the October cup I guess. Has laughing at the Habs falling apart after a hot start a few years in a row, and the years of Leaf teams collapsing in March not taught us anything?

This team is a cup favorite when they are in the finals. Before that, it's blowing hot air to get clicks.

Reactions: BVG

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The problem still remains that this team is far too laid back up a few goals. Holtby was huge tonight. It easily could have been 2 or 3-0 after the first. After that, hypothetically, the Leafs get lazy and leave Andersen out to dry. It was a good effort tonight but until this team can prove that they can shut down the opponent, they're just a good team, not an elite one.

This early in the season, most teams still go through their shaky moments. I think the Leafs last night were as close as you can expect to "tight defensively" at this stage of the season.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Haha come on. Leafs win the October cup I guess. Has laughing at the Habs falling apart after a hot start a few years in a row, and the years of Leaf teams collapsing in March not taught us anything?

This team is a cup favorite when they are in the finals. Before that, it's blowing hot air to get clicks.

While I agree, I wouldn't put them as the favorites yet, Odd's makers don't set the numbers based on clicks. They do it based on winning money, they wouldn't lower another teams odds and raise the Leafs to make money. Having the Leafs at a better payout would increase betting.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Leafs look good but the playoffs are all about matchups. How do they do against the Pens and Caps?

Won't know until the end of the season of course but as far as match ups go, I'm not too worried about either of those teams. I'm certainly not saying the Leafs would beat them but they have lots of depth and play hard. The Leafs should be able to keep up with either of those teams whether it's now or playoff time.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
The injury excuse surrounding the Jets was always rich, it's still early in the season mind you. Still not sure why they handed Maurice that extension

What happened the recent year that you guys were hit with a tonne of injuries?

Oh yeah you were the worst team in the league and got 1 shiny Auston Matthews out of the deal.

Remove Rielly and Nylander from your roster and tell me how great you think things would go.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I don't think anyone doubts that Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev are good defensemen, it's that the Leafs don't have that superstar defenseman and that the bottom three are average at best. Hopefully Borgman and Rosen can develop well into the season. I think the Leafs defensive strength is going to come from the coaching staff.

Zaitsev has looked pretty damn good so far though.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You're a good guy. If there were more like you around here, I wouldn't have to work so hard. ;)
Denial is too tough.
Most of you TO guys are alright.
Now if we could only get a coaching change sooner than later ...........................
Until then we are .500 bound for the 7th season

Reactions: The Missing Piece

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
What happened the recent year that you guys were hit with a tonne of injuries?

Oh yeah you were the worst team in the league and got 1 shiny Auston Matthews out of the deal.

Remove Rielly and Nylander from your roster and tell me how great you think things would go.

More like the team shut down any player who was injured after the beginning of March. They could have came back, but tanking and shady dealings prevented it.

I don't even know what you mean by your last statement. What roster are Nylander and Rielly being removed from?

Nylander only played 22 games at the end of that season. After players were shut down.

What point are you even trying to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad