Are the Leafs really that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
They have....issues but at the same time, they could win the conference. The first bonus is that the East is open because both the Caps and the Pens (who I thought were the only good teams in it last season) are both weaker. The Bolts are probably the only notably improved team.

Their three issues for me are:

-Really bad at limiting zone entries. I haven't checked the stats on this but it just looks like the neutral zone is wide open for the other team to walk through, they aren't trapping well and it's letting teams like Mtl counter or a team like Wsh use their speed. Their breakout from the defence hasn't been that great but when you have guys like Nylander/Matthews/Kadri, you can just get them to carry the puck in at times.
-Offensive black-holes. Komarov seems to have lost his offensive touch, Martin is a waste of minutes since he doesn't even seem to be hitting or fighting much, Hyman might forecheck but so does Brown and Hyman doesn't make plays, and one of JVR/Bozak will have a good game but the other one will suck in that game. Their PP's numbers are good but it's because of the kids, the dmen really struggle on it.
-Babcock's team selection....this is his one weakness as a coach imo, he's too rigid in his lineups and with giving young players a chance unless they're other-worldly or out of necessity. There's guys not in the lineup that are better than some of what is in the lineup and he's also very slow to adjust lines.
The last team you have to worry about that is the Leafs. Their forward group is so deep and the best in the NHL.

member 290103

I don't think there is any question that they are the favorites to come out of the East. They should compete for the cup annually now for the next decade. I think if we look back 10 years from now and the Leafs don't have at least 4 cups, we'll have to rate it as disappointing.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't think there is any question that they are the favorites to come out of the East. They should compete for the cup annually now for the next decade. I think if we look back 10 years from now and the Leafs don't have at least 4 cups, we'll have to rate it as disappointing.

Don't get ahead of yourselves just yet. Being the best team in the regular season doesn't always imply playoff success. I have high hopes for the Leafs, but pump the brakes a little bit until you see it unfold in the playoffs.

As a Caps fan, we got ahead of ourselves far too many times, crowning ourselves as the favourites to come out of the East, but it never happened. Temper your expectations, and hope for the best.

It could save you a lot of heartbreak if things don't turn out well :)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Don't get ahead of yourselves just yet. Being the best team in the regular season doesn't always imply playoff success. I have high hopes for the Leafs, but pump the brakes a little bit until you see it unfold in the playoffs.

As a Caps fan, we got ahead of ourselves far too many times, crowning ourselves as the favourites to come out of the East, but it never happened. Temper your expectations, and hope for the best.

he's a guy who likes using hyperbole to troll

member 290103

I hear you, but this Leafs team is a special group. The Caps never had a player like Matthews. Their talent was never really made for the playoffs. Relying on a player like Ovechkin is never really going to amount to a great deal of post season success.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I hear you, but this Leafs team is a special group. The Caps never had a player like Matthews. Their talent was never really made for the playoffs. Relying on a player like Ovechkin is never really going to amount to a great deal of post season success.

Well, I hope the Leafs succeed where the Caps failed.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leaf fans are use to heartbreak. We can take it. I am old enough to have lived through the Ballard years. Ya kids should look him up.

Reactions: bionic

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

Great post.

Most of the celebrating is coming from a place of retribution. Many Leaf fans remember how we were treated when the team was not very good. It's certainly hard for some to temper their excitement in the presence of many who gleefully trashed the Leafs not so long ago.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Great post.

Most of the celebrating is coming from a place of retribution. Many Leaf fans remember how we were treated when the team was not very good. It's certainly hard for some to temper their excitement in the presence of many who gleefully trashed the Leafs not so long ago.

I understand this feeling. I have this same feeling when people trash Ovechkin and he inevitably "roars back" to win the scoring race, and all the critics go silent (at least for the duration of his hot streaks). Retribution or vengeance feels great.

The Leafs were hated when they were a bad team, but be prepared to receive even more hate when they establish themselves as one of the best teams.

Look, everyone was hating on Pittsburgh (especially me :laugh:). But before that, everybody was hating on Chicago.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I can't believe he turned up the heat for that Beatles concert in July and tripled the price of drinks.

I can. Ballard was a piece of shit and is the reason why most older Leaf fans carry no hope anymore.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I understand this feeling. I have this same feeling when people trash Ovechkin and he inevitably "roars back" to win the scoring race, and all the critics go silent (at least for the duration of his hot streaks). Retribution or vengeance feels great.

The Leafs were hated when they were a bad team, but be prepared to receive even more hate when they establish themselves as one of the best teams.

Look, everyone was hating on Pittsburgh (especially me :laugh:). But before that, everybody was hating on Chicago.

Oh I can tell you right now, the hate if the Leafs win will be the most delicious thing I have ever tasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad