Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
So all in all we got 14 inches this weekend. My back is pretty sore from shoveling. Do you guys have snow blowers? Is it worth it? Seems like a decent chunk of change for something you use a couple times a year.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
So all in all we got 14 inches this weekend. My back is pretty sore from shoveling. Do you guys have snow blowers? Is it worth it? Seems like a decent chunk of change for something you use a couple times a year.

I have two. One for the smaller stuff. One for the bigger stuff.

Go on Craigslist and buy one. Absolutely no point in buying one brand new. You can get one for $50-100 that will handle pretty much any of the snow that we typically get here in Chicago. I bought one a week ago on Craigslist for $60 that was less than 10 mins from my house. Here are a few that took 5 mins to find.

Snowblower Yard Machines 2 cycle new carb electric start

TORO SNOWBLOWER

SNOWBLOWER JUST SERVICED WORKS GREAT READY TO USE

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Really would like the market to start going back up here... Any time now... I really dislike losing money...

I'm pretty much 100% in VTSAX, not touching my money for like 25 years, but it still hurts to see the market tumble

My wife's company has access to VPMAX so I have been shuffling money to that.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'm pretty much 100% in VTSAX, not touching my money for like 25 years, but it still hurts to see the market tumble

My wife's company has access to VPMAX so I have been shuffling money to that.

I have a 401k that I manage on my own through Principal, and it's spread out into some low risk stuff, some higher risk stuff, and quite a bit of some middle of the pack stuff. But it's losing money, and I hate losing money, specifically when it's not even me causing the losing. If I go sit at the blackjack table and lose, at least I'm having fun. :laugh:

Just standing here watching money disappear for no reason of my own doing absolutely blows, though. My rate of return on it was 22% last year. So far this year I'm at -2%... I don't even need the 22% at this point. I'd be happy with a 10% return.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Really would like the market to start going back up here... Any time now... I really dislike losing money...

It's unsettling, but it's more or less just giving back the crazy gains that were at the start of the year. Dow opened the year ~24,700 and is now at ~24,400. It's just wild that it got up to 26,500 and then gave it all back in short order.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's unsettling, but it's more or less just giving back the crazy gains that were at the start of the year. Dow opened the year ~24,700 and is now at ~24,400. It's just wild that it got up to 26,500 and then gave it all back in short order.

Oh, I know. I just don't like losing money. Everything that was earned on it last year is gone with the recent tank, basically, and now I'm losing my own money that I'm putting into it. That's a shitty feeling.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I have a 401k that I manage on my own through Principal, and it's spread out into some low risk stuff, some higher risk stuff, and quite a bit of some middle of the pack stuff. But it's losing money, and I hate losing money, specifically when it's not even me causing the losing. If I go sit at the blackjack table and lose, at least I'm having fun. :laugh:

Just standing here watching money disappear for no reason of my own doing absolutely blows, though. My rate of return on it was 22% last year. So far this year I'm at -2%... I don't even need the 22% at this point. I'd be happy with a 10% return.

Wow... I didn't realize the last year was so good, you are right though... Last 52 weeks, I am +25.6%

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The death of Reg E Cathey makes me want to watch the 3 HBO projects he was on (But my on-demand isn't working and I need Comcast to come fix it when I have time to have them come)

The Corner
Oz (I hated Martin Querns character ,, Such a POS)
The Wire

All great TV

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Me after reading the hockey related threads around here today:

eyewash.gif

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Just got my notification for Pearl Jam Fan Club presage tix. 2 nights in Seattle and one in Missoula. We are making a vacation out of it.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Used to love Pearl Jam but after Binaural the quality of their music dropped

I hated Riot Act and the last few albums when I tried to listen to them were too hit or miss (More misses then hits)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I actually got roped into watching a TV show. It’s called Black Mirror and it is on Netflix. It takes place in the future and projects society out from where it is currently headed. What is interesting about this show is that each episode is on its own with its own story and characters. There is nothing tied from one episode to another. You can browse through all the seasons and pick which ones you want to watch and skip the ones you don’t. Nosedive is the one I selected. This episode looked at what social media will be like in the future. Everyone has a rating from 1 to 5 and your number is digitally visible next to your head when you encounter someone. Your number effects everything, where you can live, how much rent you pay, obviously how people judge you, etc. Your social media profile and how you are perceived on there is the most critical element to your rating. Everyone also uses their phones to rate you in real life too. So if you flip someone off on the freeway, you’re getting a 1 from them and possibly others. Take a picture of your latte and post it on social media, you’re getting a ton of 5’s to more than make up for it. Essentially, everyone with a high rating was extremely popular, had zero personality, had mental issues and constantly shit on anyone who didn’t care about what other people thought of themselves. It was very interesting and pretty much illustrates where we are at right now with social media. I’ll definitely watch some more, not sure when, but I at least recommend “Nosedive”, this episode that I watched. This series has almost unheard of ratings across the board so it must be very popular. If any of you have seen it, please recommend episodes you liked.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I actually got roped into watching a TV show. It’s called Black Mirror and it is on Netflix. It takes place in the future and projects society out from where it is currently headed. What is interesting about this show is that each episode is on its own with its own story and characters. There is nothing tied from one episode to another. You can browse through all the seasons and pick which ones you want to watch and skip the ones you don’t. Nosedive is the one I selected. This episode looked at what social media will be like in the future. Everyone has a rating from 1 to 5 and your number is digitally visible next to your head when you encounter someone. Your number effects everything, where you can live, how much rent you pay, obviously how people judge you, etc. Your social media profile and how you are perceived on there is the most critical element to your rating. Everyone also uses their phones to rate you in real life too. So if you flip someone off on the freeway, you’re getting a 1 from them and possibly others. Take a picture of your latte and post it on social media, you’re getting a ton of 5’s to more than make up for it. Essentially, everyone with a high rating was extremely popular, had zero personality, had mental issues and constantly **** on anyone who didn’t care about what other people thought of themselves. It was very interesting and pretty much illustrates where we are at right now with social media. I’ll definitely watch some more, not sure when, but I at least recommend “Nosedive”, this episode that I watched. This series has almost unheard of ratings across the board so it must be very popular. If any of you have seen it, please recommend episodes you liked.

Your a bit late, but welcome to the club.

My personal favorites are The Entire History of You, White Bear, White Christmas, Shut up and Dance. Honestly, I'd recommend watching them all. There's a few duds, but all in all they are very well done.

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
No Code and Binaural are my two under the radar discs. Breakerfall, Nothing as it Seems, Thin Air, and my personal favorite Sleight of Hand. That is just off Binaural. I am a fan so it is all good. They have really slowed down on new stuff and the last couple I am also not a fan. But it sure hasn’t hurt the quality of their shows.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
PJ has always fallen in the category of very good but never great to me. I generally like almost all of their stuff, but I was never crazy about any of it, if that makes sense. I've only seen them live once and it was a very good show.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yeah terrible to hear and shocking

You don't expect something like that to occur in that area downtown especially with all the police officers in area (Got State Police , County Police , Chicago Police , etc within short area around Thompson center and inside building)

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Your a bit late, but welcome to the club.

My personal favorites are The Entire History of You, White Bear, White Christmas, Shut up and Dance. Honestly, I'd recommend watching them all. There's a few duds, but all in all they are very well done.
I actually got roped into watching a TV show. It’s called Black Mirror and it is on Netflix. It takes place in the future and projects society out from where it is currently headed. What is interesting about this show is that each episode is on its own with its own story and characters. There is nothing tied from one episode to another. You can browse through all the seasons and pick which ones you want to watch and skip the ones you don’t. Nosedive is the one I selected. This episode looked at what social media will be like in the future. Everyone has a rating from 1 to 5 and your number is digitally visible next to your head when you encounter someone. Your number effects everything, where you can live, how much rent you pay, obviously how people judge you, etc. Your social media profile and how you are perceived on there is the most critical element to your rating. Everyone also uses their phones to rate you in real life too. So if you flip someone off on the freeway, you’re getting a 1 from them and possibly others. Take a picture of your latte and post it on social media, you’re getting a ton of 5’s to more than make up for it. Essentially, everyone with a high rating was extremely popular, had zero personality, had mental issues and constantly **** on anyone who didn’t care about what other people thought of themselves. It was very interesting and pretty much illustrates where we are at right now with social media. I’ll definitely watch some more, not sure when, but I at least recommend “Nosedive”, this episode that I watched. This series has almost unheard of ratings across the board so it must be very popular. If any of you have seen it, please recommend episodes you liked.

White Christmas is probably my favorite by a wide margin .

Entire History of You
Shut up and Dance
USS Callister
Black Museum

Both the uplifting episode were well done, San Junipero and Hang the DJ.

Few duds for sure... Worth the watch and it's in 4K on Netflix .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad