Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The snow forecast is troublesome. On one hand, now that I'm downstate, I luckily don't have that avalanche in my immediate future. On the other hand, as I work from a remote home office for a department based in Chicago, if the Loop shuts down that'll mean that I'm going to have to essentially handle all emails and phones for the department for that day.

I'm in roughly the same boat. About 4o mins to in the morning and 45-50 mins back in the evening. We have an office location about 1/3 of that distance from my house and I put in a request to be able to switch. No word yet. Unlikely it's granted but had to try. Commute kind of sucks. Been doing it since October '16 and didn't bother me for a long time but it's started to since around last Fall. Not crazy about the mileage on my car, either. See what happens.

In other news, not at all looking forward to this snow. Over it. Watching closely how it looks for tomorrow evening. As if having to go to Detroit isn't ****ty enough, to do so in ****ty weather is all the more sucky.

I've typically always been around an hour each way to work. My issue is I refuse to pay top dollar for homes that don't fit my lifestyle. A house like mine 15 minutes away from my work would run 2-3 X.

Whats nice about my commute, generally speaking is I have several different routes I can take. So I can always check traffic and avoid 1 highway if there's an accident and it usually doesn't get to bad. Tomorrow is going to suck though.

A nice bonus of working in the IT world. Like NFS, I get to work from home on days like tomorrow. I don't have to worry about anything shutting down, though. ;)
I only have a 17 mile commute each way, which is normally about 25 mins or so in the morning(6:35am-7:00am) and then about 35 mins in the afternoon, (4:00pm-4:35pm), but I also have a unique situation in that I'm my own boss, and set my own hours, don't report to anyone directly at my office, etc. All I do is let the HR lady and office manager in my office know I'll be at home, forward my desk phone in the office tonight before I leave, and then hang out on the couch with my dogs while I take one or two calls, or answer a couple emails throughout the day. Working from home days are great. It's rarely much work. Haha.

I'm not looking forward to the snow due to having to trample through it dragging a sled full of gear for the annual charity Walk on Water ice fishing derby on Saturday. A sled full of gear in 12 inches of snow, being dragged by hand... absolutely blows.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
A nice bonus of working in the IT world. Like NFS, I get to work from home on days like tomorrow. I don't have to worry about anything shutting down, though. ;)
I only have a 17 mile commute each way, which is normally about 25 mins or so in the morning(6:30am-7:00am) and then about 35 mins in the afternoon, (4:00pm-4:35pm), but I also have a unique situation in that I'm my own boss, and set my own hours, don't report to anyone directly at my office, etc. All I do is let the HR lady and office manager in my office know I'll be at home, forward my desk phone in the office tonight before I leave, and then hang out on the couch with my dogs while I take one or two calls, or answer a couple emails throughout the day. Working from home days are great. It's rarely much work. Haha.

I'm not looking forward to the snow due to having to trample through it dragging a sled full of gear for the annual charity Walk on Water ice fishing derby. A sled full of gear in 12 inches of snow, being dragged by hand... absolutely blows.

oh man, i really hate to say this, but i am confuse here. i do not know if i can find my jacket ...... it suppose to be a high 70 and low 62...... brrr...... :biglaugh: :cool:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Many people at my company work remotely. I'm not set up for it. I'd like to be in the future for days like tomorrow. I'll be damned if I burn a PTO day for snow. Not happening. I'll get here when I get here. 4WD will come in handy.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
oh man, i really hate to say this, but i am confuse here. i do not know if i can find my jacket ...... it suppose to be a high 70 and low 62...... brrr...... :biglaugh: :cool:
f*** off. :laugh:
I wish it was gonna be 70 in Chicago tomorrow, and not dumping 12 inches of snow on us.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It’s 60 out here today. :madfire:

Would kill for more snow out here. The ski resorts are taking a beating here this year. Not only has it been way hot but very little says it’s snowed or even rained.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Like some other big dogs, they age fast and have relatively short lives, about 7-8 years. That can be tough for a pet owner to deal with.

IMHO that's better than having one pet live for 12+ years. We've had German shepherds in our family since I was 5 years old, my parents have two of them right now (if I knew how to upload pictures from my phone to HF I'd show you all). We love them to death, they're family, and they're spoiled rotten...

HOWEVER, at the end of the day they're still just dogs. They get sicker with age and they have to be put down. I know some people will go to any length to keep their pets alive but that's just something my family has never really been about. If the dog can get better with treatments and medicines then of course it'll get taken care of but as an example, our GS of 8 years ago had hip dysplasia. She was only 6 when she got it. The vet said that there were some treatments available but ultimately this'll never go away and most likely get worse. So as a family we decided it'd be best just to put her down. Our first German shepherd had tumors in her stomach. The options were either to put her down, or pay thousands of dollars for treatments that would keep her alive but still cause her endless discomfort and pain. It was an easy choice.

Dogs aren't people, I wouldn't want to subject my dog to 1-2 years of constant pain, suffering, or at best a lot of discomfort just to give her more time here. They're animals and ultimately, as harsh as it may sound, replaceable. So I think the pain of losing a dog that you've only had for 7-8 years might be less than a dog you've had for 12+. It's more cyclical that way and their very sad deaths can be a little more normalized.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a sociopath or anything. I love my dogs completely and have balled my eyes out every time they've had to go.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Was just told to stay home and "work" from there tomorrow.

(I added the quotes :naughty:)

Haha. Can't complain, right? My branch manager sent out an email a few hours ago telling everyone to work remote if they don't want to drive in the snow, or didn't feel safe doing so. I had every intention of doing it anyways, as she's not my boss. :)

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
IMHO that's better than having one pet live for 12+ years. We've had German shepherds in our family since I was 5 years old, my parents have two of them right now (if I knew how to upload pictures from my phone to HF I'd show you all). We love them to death, they're family, and they're spoiled rotten...

HOWEVER, at the end of the day they're still just dogs. They get sicker with age and they have to be put down. I know some people will go to any length to keep their pets alive but that's just something my family has never really been about. If the dog can get better with treatments and medicines then of course it'll get taken care of but as an example, our GS of 8 years ago had hip dysplasia. She was only 6 when she got it. The vet said that there were some treatments available but ultimately this'll never go away and most likely get worse. So as a family we decided it'd be best just to put her down. Our first German shepherd had tumors in her stomach. The options were either to put her down, or pay thousands of dollars for treatments that would keep her alive but still cause her endless discomfort and pain. It was an easy choice.

Dogs aren't people, I wouldn't want to subject my dog to 1-2 years of constant pain, suffering, or at best a lot of discomfort just to give her more time here. They're animals and ultimately, as harsh as it may sound, replaceable. So I think the pain of losing a dog that you've only had for 7-8 years might be less than a dog you've had for 12+. It's more cyclical that way and their very sad deaths can be a little more normalized.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a sociopath or anything. I love my dogs completely and have balled my eyes out every time they've had to go.

I don't think it's binary like that. I.e., many dogs will live a greater number of years without slowing down and with a higher quality of life. I had a black lab mix who lived past 16. She didn't really slow down at all until she was about 10, and had a high quality of life until about age 15, which is when things started going south quickly.

I miss her like crazy.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
@hawksrule of course not. Maybe it was just the breed but all of my family's dogs got sick enough to the point where their quality of life was going to take a huge dip.

But I do think it'd be harder to get over a dog that I've known for 53% of my life than one I've known for 28% of it.

Here are our two dogs. Lighter brown one is a 7 year old female, black one is a 1.5 year old male. He's like 95 pounds!

Attachments

• IMG_3162.JPG
    IMG_3162.JPG
    569.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2912.JPG
    IMG_2912.JPG
    481.9 KB · Views: 5

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Coming from the farm I used to see animals as things. the older I have gotten I have softened and regret some things I had to do while a kid on the farm. That is how it was I guess. This being said, I will not subject him to continued pain for my enjoyment if it comes to that. If there is a heaven we will meet there but he is not going to be miserable out of my selfishness. I do not behoove anyone for wanting to keep their beloved pet alive if they have the means and the outcome is pretty much a full recovery. Otherwise I feel it is a bit self serving. Just my opinion. Though Wrigley will only live to be 8 or so I am hoping his training for therapy work will leave a lasting impact. I guess if I had a pain in the ass dog for 12 years it might be different but he is our kid since we didn't have any. He has impacted me more than any pet we have had and I don't know how he did it.

That being said, right now he is dropping ass like a champ.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Wow..... I love streaming services and group sharing.

ATT Wireless - $102 for 6GB data
Dish Network - $100 for TV
NetFlix - $14
Spotify - $10
Total Monthly: $226

2017-2018:
Cricket - $52 for 10GB data
Sling TV - $27
NetFlix - $3.5
Spotify - $3
Total Monthly: $85.50

More money to put towards my Student Loans :D

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Wow..... I love streaming services and group sharing.

ATT Wireless - $102 for 6GB data
Dish Network - $100 for TV
NetFlix - $14
Spotify - $10
Total Monthly: $226

2017-2018:
Cricket - $52 for 10GB data
Sling TV - $27
NetFlix - $3.5
Spotify - $3
Total Monthly: $85.50

More money to put towards my Student Loans :D

It's the way to go, man.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
Coming from the farm I used to see animals as things. the older I have gotten I have softened and regret some things I had to do while a kid on the farm. That is how it was I guess. This being said, I will not subject him to continued pain for my enjoyment if it comes to that. If there is a heaven we will meet there but he is not going to be miserable out of my selfishness. I do not behoove anyone for wanting to keep their beloved pet alive if they have the means and the outcome is pretty much a full recovery. Otherwise I feel it is a bit self serving. Just my opinion. Though Wrigley will only live to be 8 or so I am hoping his training for therapy work will leave a lasting impact. I guess if I had a pain in the ass dog for 12 years it might be different but he is our kid since we didn't have any. He has impacted me more than any pet we have had and I don't know how he did it.

That being said, right now he is dropping ass like a champ.
Holy crap. Wrigley is the name of my Mastiff. He turned 9 in January. So I know his days are numbered. And I while I pamper him extensively, I've never thought of setting up a mister for him - course I don't live in Arizona either.

My previous two mastiffs lived to just under 12 years old. One of them was a therapy dog as well. Been around a bunch of Great Danes since those in the ring who deal with Mastiffs often deal with Great Danes. Wrigley's handler bred Danes and a good friend had a Dane rescue farm. Real good family dogs.

Reactions: Ted Lasso

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Feb.9th is National Pizza Day and National Bagel Day in both Canada and USA ...But why on tge same day? It is an outrage. ..Surely these 2 popular foods deserve their own separate day ..I mean. .tgat is a lot of bread if you down bagels for breakfast followed by at least 5 slices of pizza for lunch and diner
.a lit of bread for 1 day..Thwrexarec365 days ..So you mean to tell me they could not find another day to put 1 of the foods celebrated now on Feb 8th?Look if it was a fight to preserve Feb. 9th and neither bagels or pizza would agree to move if the other kept Feb. 9th,then surely they could have found 2 different days out of 35? AND then some other item could tale Feb. 9th as its own celebration day! But since somebody lacked common sense,we are stuck with both bagels and pizzas being honoured on February 9th...

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I am still on an iPhone 6S. At the rate my battery dies now I am about to the point of having to buy a X.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
Wife out of town for the weekend. I love her to death but I haven’t had a weekend to myself in a very, very long time. Just me, beer, the dog, beer, my skis, beer, and my bike. I couldn’t ask for more. :yo:

You should probably get out to the store and stock up on some beer for your solo weekend

Reactions: RayP

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Set up two Amazon echos I bought for Christmas today. Holy hell. Love them.

Wow. Ironic. I just set up my Amazon Echo yesterday. I got it for the wife for V Day but she was going to spoil the surprise so I gave it to her early. I already spent $50 on a dimmer switch for my lights .

Play some Jeopardy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad