Anything Goes 30: Topicality Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Yeah. About an hour and a half from my home. We used to party with kids from that school all the time. Pretty frustrating. I don’t have kids, but if I did it definitely makes me think about public school. And I told my parents I would never go to private school.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Yeah. About an hour and a half from my home. We used to party with kids from that school all the time. Pretty frustrating. I don’t have kids, but if I did it definitely makes me think about public school. And I told my parents I would never go to private school.

Has absolutely nothing to do with "public school". Parkland is a "public school" where the average home price is $600,000. I'd say it's an affluent area. My daughter goes to a public high school that is US Blue Ribbon school for exemplary high performance. It's one of only 342 in the entire country. That's one half of one percent of the nation's schools. I'm sorry, nothing against you, but that's an absolutely terrible take; as if public schools are the only place things like this happen. :shakehead It's a pretty damn offensive statement to make.

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Rizzo is heading back there today, I read. He played football for the assistant coach who died shielding those kids. Brutal all around.

"He died the same way he lived -- he put himself second," she said. "He was a very kind soul, a very nice man. He died a hero." Colton Haab, a 17-year-old junior who had a close relationship with Feis, told CNN he saw the coach running toward the sounds of gunshots.

What a hero. Sad to see this shit happen.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Has absolutely nothing to do with "public school". Parkland is a "public school" where the average home price is $600,000. I'd say it's an affluent area. My daughter goes to a public high school that is US Blue Ribbon school for exemplary high performance. It's one of only 342 in the entire country. That's one half of one percent of the nation's schools. I'm sorry, nothing against you, but that's an absolutely terrible take; as if public schools are the only place things like this happen. :shakehead It's a pretty damn offensive statement to make.

I talk out of my *** from time to time too but you are on point.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Public vs Private, which is a slippery slope of a conversation. I think it is the next closest thing to talking Politics.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I talk out of my *** from time to time too but you are on point.

Has absolutely nothing to do with Public vs Private, which is a slippery slope of a conversation. I think it is the next closest thing to talking Politics.

And I went to another illinois public high school, a different one from my daughter, that was also a blue ribbon school when I was there.

It's definitely a really bad take.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I know where Coral Springs/Parkland is. I’ve been there plenty of times. We used to party with friends from college there over the summer. Be upset with my comment if you want. My take about public vs private has nothing to do with your daughters awesome school. How is that even offensive? I went to public school. Everybody in my family went to public school. Almost all the mass violence that has occurred within the school systems has been at public schools. Almost all of it.

Private you’re talking fewer kids per staff member, which can be more secure. There’s many things behind my comment, the sample size isn’t large enough (thank god) to make a case one way or the other but I’m curious to know how that is offensive.

What does blue ribbon have anything to do with anything that I’m talking about. I’m not talking about quality of education even. I’m literally talking about safety.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I know where Coral Springs/Parkland is. I’ve been there plenty of times. We used to party with friends from college there over the summer. Be upset with my comment if you want. My take about public vs private has nothing to do with your daughters awesome school. How is that even offensive? I went to public school. Everybody in my family went to public school. Almost all the mass violence that has occurred within the school systems has been at public schools. Almost all of it.

Private you’re talking fewer kids per staff member, which can be more secure. There’s many things behind my comment, the sample size isn’t large enough (thank god) to make a case one way or the other but I’m curious to know how that is offensive.

What does blue ribbon have anything to do with anything that I’m talking about. I’m not talking about quality of education even. I’m literally talking about safety.

Care to back that up with some type of evidence? If you look at statistics, yes, many school shootings happen in public schools, but the general idea of "violence" etc. is so close it's not even worth debating. I won't debate this more than that on here, as it's a slippery slope in regards to political discussion.

The point was that public vs private has nothing to do with the fact that a school shooting can happen anywhere at any time. Your post seemed to imply that you were better off sending your kids to a private school over a public school when public vs private has nothing to do with the fact that you have no idea where it might occur.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Anyone here try and learn a foreign language as an adult? I tried once before 5-6 years ago and it was awful and gave up.

Wife and I are giving it another crack with Rosetta Stone to try and learn Hindi that we started last night.

Anyone have any tips?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Anyone here try and learn a foreign language as an adult? I tried once before 5-6 years ago and it was awful and gave up.

Wife and I are giving it another crack with Rosetta Stone to try and learn Hindi that we started last night.

Anyone have any tips?
yeah i tried to learn spanish as an adult. the problem was i and where i grew up, well lets say i didn't want to learn spanish. my mother being hispanic. but not i, i was my father son and i refuse to learn spanish.

what a freaking idiot i was growing up.

i think the Rosetta Stone may be a good way of learning.

Reactions: RayP

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I want to eventually learn German as I really want to visit Bavaria and the Low Countries, but I'm sure I'm too lazy to ever do either, tbqh.

In non-lazy news, painted two rooms in our house this past weekend. Actually turned out well.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I actually enjoy it, once the trim work's done. Just satisfying to see progress on work and a clear end goal getting closer and closer. Listened to some Hardcore History during it too, so went by quick. Only real downside was that the original off-white paint that was on the walls was more off than white apparently, so both rooms needed a second coat.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Care to back that up with some type of evidence? If you look at statistics, yes, many school shootings happen in public schools, but the general idea of "violence" etc. is so close it's not even worth debating. I won't debate this more than that on here, as it's a slippery slope in regards to political discussion.

The point was that public vs private has nothing to do with the fact that a school shooting can happen anywhere at any time. Your post seemed to imply that you were better off sending your kids to a private school over a public school when public vs private has nothing to do with the fact that you have no idea where it might occur.

I have no idea on how the numbers shake out, but I wouldn’t be surprised if private schools are statistically safer because they are generally better funded then public schools, and may have more resources devoted to security. Also, since private schools tend to be smaller and therefore less sprawling, logic would dictate there are fewer entry points.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I have no idea on how the numbers shake out, but I wouldn’t be surprised if private schools are statistically safer because they are generally better funded then public schools, and may have more resources devoted to security. Also, since private schools tend to be smaller and therefore less sprawling, logic would dictate there are fewer entry points.

I was looking at numbers earlier. On purely a school shooting scale the numbers are skewed towards public, but not as big a difference as you would expect. Looking at overall violence in general, the schools are within a couple percentage points of each other, though. The way he said it just came off offensive to me is all. It seems like public schools always get slammed like they're the only schools that there are problems, and that's not remotely close to the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad