Player Discussion: Andrew Copp, the unsung hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Yep and not by us. Although he shows a lot of skill, more than I thought he had (as @MrBoJangelz71 also bumped my post from april where I said he's a 'meh' player), I still think he's a support piece with good talent and not a line driver like a team will probably end up paying him to be. Maybe it's because I never been really high on him, I just don't see him putting up great numbers without playing with high level talent. Saying that, how he played yesterday is the exact opposite of that, he looks like the line driver and not the support guy.
Clicked the last page and swore you just posted that. Sorry about that. Deleted it

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
don't get to watch the jets as often as i'd like. is copp better on the wing or in the middle?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
don't get to watch the jets as often as i'd like. is copp better on the wing or in the middle?

Although he has mostly been deployed on the wing I think he is effective in both positions. He is the only forward on our team that was part of a very dominant shut down line (Lowry, Copp, Tanev), that is also capable of playing well on scoring lines in our top 6.

Andrew is a rounded talent that should land a good contract this summer. I’m happy for him, he has been a great soldier for us.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Top 6 he's played wing.
Usually C in the bottom 6.

Production better on the wing. But is adept at playing c still. But hasn't really Played much c with top 6-9 calibre linemates in a few seasons now.

Reactions: neelynugs

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Copp looking at a potential 5th concussion. Coach said he would be evaluated once back in town.

I forgot that he has had 4 previous concussions.

Hopefully he is good to go, either for us or another team as a result of a trade. The worst would be he's hurt, and he can't play for us, and he can't be traded either.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Copp looking at a potential 5th concussion. Coach said he would be evaluated once back in town.

I forgot that he has had 4 previous concussions.

Hopefully he is good to go, either for us or another team as a result of a trade. The worst would be he's hurt, and he can't play for us, and he can't be traded either.
I have an unpleasant feeling that your worst-case scenario is likely (not certain) to play out. Hopefully he is able to heal up and play again but we may be looking at a third for Stats in terms of our TDL haul -- unless we look to move 3rd-pairing Schmidt.

Reactions: hn777

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think they have to shut Copp down for the rest of the season. This is about a man's health and future, not the Jets playoff chances or what we can get for him in a trade.

Reactions: ps241 and hn777

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I think they have to shut Copp down for the rest of the season. This is about a man's health and future, not the Jets playoff chances or what we can get for him in a trade.
Agree -- and to be fair, they could have brought up Gus and shut him down already. Copp in or out was never going to be the difference in making the POs or not.

Reactions: Jet

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Copp is a bit of a swiss army knife. Not really great at anything, but gets by at a lot of stuff in a pinch.

At this point in time, I just hope that he gets and remains healthy even if that means that NHL Hockey is not in his future.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Sucks to him get hurt, especially in a contract year and his first crack in FA. hopefully he recovers quickly and no long term issues.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Sucks to him get hurt, especially in a contract year and his first crack in FA. hopefully he recovers quickly and no long term issues.
5 concussions - I hope someone in his life is pushing for him to retire. That is so scary. I have friends with multiple concussions and they just keep playing, even though they aren't getting paid or really have a shot at pro hockey. Young people think they are invincible.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
5 concussions - I hope someone in his life is pushing for him to retire. That is so scary. I have friends with multiple concussions and they just keep playing, even though they aren't getting paid or really have a shot at pro hockey. Young people think they are invincible.
Its gotta be tough... he's on the verge of making $5 maybe six million a year for 5,6,7 years... I would not retire regardless of the consequences

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He's couple months away from the biggest pay day of his life, and probably set his family and future family with lifelong wealth. I doubt he is going tor rtire.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Its gotta be tough... he's on the verge of making $5 maybe six million a year for 5,6,7 years... I would not retire regardless of the consequences
It's so crazy because your feeling on this matches the vast majority of pro athletes - not just about the money, but about being able to play in the best league in the world and getting the rush from that.

However, when your life post career (we're talking about young men here, in their mid 30's and early 40's devolves into depression, chronic pain, alchohol and drug abuse, dementia and oftentimes suicide - I'd bet those guys would give that money back for their health.

I for one wouldn't take 50 million dollars now in exchange for my health in 10 years.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It's so crazy because your feeling on this matches the vast majority of pro athletes - not just about the money, but about being able to play in the best league in the world and getting the rush from that.

However, when your life post career (we're talking about young men here, in their mid 30's and early 40's devolves into depression, chronic pain, alchohol and drug abuse, dementia and oftentimes suicide - I'd bet those guys would give that money back for their health.

I for one wouldn't take 50 million dollars now in exchange for my health in 10 years.
My feeling on this matches my experience as a small business owner - I had a bad concussion/head injury who's effects lasted for two years and still linger to this day - I can relate to many of those symptoms you list. Its fkn problematic - but healing properly meant shutting down my business and that was just not an option.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I disagree but that's ok, different strokes for different folks.
Think if an individual saw a $50m in cash sitting in a room and someone said this could be yours you just have play a sport, and whie you play you have access to the best doctors, physical therapy, other modalities etc it'll change some minds. 50m if used correctly means your parents, kids, family etc don't have to worry about a thing rest of their lives. People get hurt on jobs every day (perhaps the alternative career for Copp isn't one where he gets hurt badly though, i'm not sure) and they aren't making generational type wealth.

Reactions: WolfHouse

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
He's couple months away from the biggest pay day of his life, and probably set his family and future family with lifelong wealth. I doubt he is going tor rtire.

He's only going to get that pay day if someone is willing to pay him. He's an UFA that will benefit any team he ends up on, but, every team is also going to be aware of him having multiple concussions. I'm sure someone will take the risk of signing him for bigger money and term, but it is a risk.

Reactions: surixon

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I disagree but that's ok, different strokes for different folks.
Think if an individual saw a $50m in cash sitting in a room and someone said this could be yours you just have play a sport, and whie you play you have access to the best doctors, physical therapy, other modalities etc it'll change some minds. 50m if used correctly means your parents, kids, family etc don't have to worry about a thing rest of their lives. People get hurt on jobs every day (perhaps the alternative career for Copp isn't one where he gets hurt badly though, i'm not sure) and they aren't making generational type wealth.
I wouldn't argue too much with this. If I was in Copp's shoes I'd probably do the same thing

Reactions: hockeyarena

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Really hope Andrew is ok. He has always been one of my favourite Jets players. For me it’s all about his health first. If he is ok then I will get back to talking about TD options but for now I will cheer for his health now and in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia