Player Discussion: Andrew Copp, the unsung hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Disclaimer:
(All text written before the preseason game today against Minny haha)

Yeah, I am pretty high on Andrew Copp, I think he is very underrated, and I would like him tried in the top-6 as our 2nd line center.
I understand he's not a sexy player. He was not a high draft pick, nor is he scoring highlight-reel goals, but it is difficult to argue with his on ice results on even strength as a two-way player.

Over the last three seasons he has the third best GF% (forwards) in the league on a top 15 that goes (GF%):

Oshie 60.9
Craig Smith 60.4
Andrew Copp 59.8
Panarin 59.2
Kucherov 59.1
Zucker 59.0
Schwartz 59.0
Radulov 58.8
Pastrnak 58.7
Point 58.7
Bergeron 58.6
Backstrom 58.6
Connolly 58.6
Josh Anderson 58.5
Marchand 58.4

And just last season, Copp was third to only Crosby and Teravainen.

If we look at GF% Rel, over the last three seasons Copp is the 12th best in the league on a top 15 that goes:

Mark Stone, Zetterberg, Palmieri, Hall, Couturier, Mackinnon, McDavid, Mantha, Teravainen, Barkov, Aho, Copp, Rantanen, Zucker, Landeskog

Just last season, Copp was second to only Radulov in GF% Rel.

(all stats from naturalstattrick.com)

As seen, Copp is in great company with a lot of solid two-way players.

Looking on the Jets alone, Copp is the clear leader in those stats at 5v5.

Copp has more DZ starts than OZ starts (52.7% over the last three regular seasons), and as we know, he has faced tough competition on the CLT line with great results, so I can't see, why he shouldn't be able to succeed playing with more offensively skilled guys against tough competition.

Looking back on his draft pages on HFJets, I noticed University of Michigan hockey fans all telling, how Copp excelled when given increased opportunity, and showed quite a bit of offensive potential.

He does it by having high hockey IQ and compete level, and always being in the right position causing him and his line to have a high percentage of HDCF (best on the Jets over the last three seasons with a HDCF% Rel of 7.41).

Looking at more "advanced stats", the picture is the same.

Copp has a (slightly) positive impact on the offence and a clear beneficial impact on the defence (data from 2017-19).

Copp Isolated impact 2017-19_979A6401_46A5_4F08_9D2B_883B21F5C81A.jpeg

or according to evolving hockeys RAPM model (data from 2016-19), a positive impact at even strength, just don't play him on the PP:

Copp RAPM 16-19_download (2).png

He is among the best Jets in Evolving Hockeys GAR model (2018-19 data) (if you take away impact from PP, he looks to be the best at even strength).

GAR WPG 18-19 from evolving-hockey.com_download.png

He compares quite well to Scheifele, a legit top center in the league, Scheifele being better rated offensively according to Evolving Hockeys GAR model (data from 2016-19), but Copp better defensively.

Copp vs Scheifele EV RAPM 2016-19 from Evolving-hockey.com_download (3).png

He has shown it consistently on the Jets; CLT - the "Lowry line", may after all have been the "Copp line", as the two others did not get nearly as good results, after Copp was moved. Centering Lemieux/Appleton and Ehlers/Laine, those lines have also outplayed and outscored the opposition.

I think he is underplayed 5v5 (incomprehensible that his TOI was down last season compared with the previous), and I would like to see him centering Ehlers (RW) and Connor (LW). Connor is one of the few, who can keep up with Ehlers' speed, and Copp is quite mobile himself. Defensively, Copp being clearly above-average should be able to make up for Connor being below average, and Ehlers somewhat average (I see Ehlers as a shooter and a goal scorer, and he prefers (or used to?) to play the off wing, so why not put him in a position to succeed).

Those Jets fans claiming Copp, will never be more than a bottom-6 guy, I would like to know why? I have seen no objective data suggest, he can't get good results in a top-6 role. Again, I define top-6 based on achieved results (and accordingly TOI), not sexyness/60.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
No question he's a great bottom-sixer, but those stats are inflated due to sheltering and limited minutes
His ceiling isn't high enough to be a permanent top-sixer IMO

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
No question he's a great bottom-sixer, but those stats are inflated due to sheltering and limited minutes
Again, sheltering? He has been playing mostly on a checking line against strong competition and a lot of DZ starts.
And, ceiling? In what? He gets the job done. He is a player you win with, IMHO.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

Why would limited minutes affect your goals for %?

Also, he hasn't really been sheltered all that much; he was used in 2017-18 on a shutdown line VS league's other top lines.

Hard to argue with these results IMO. Would love to see him tried with more opportunity. It would also open up a ton of options.

Connor - Copp - Roslovic
Perreault - Copp - Laine

Reactions: Mbraunm and hn777

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Why would limited minutes affect your goals for %?

Also, he hasn't really been sheltered all that much; he was used in 2017-18 on a shutdown line VS league's other top lines.

Hard to argue with these results IMO. Would love to see him tried with more opportunity. It would also open up a ton of options.

Connor - Copp - Roslovic
Perreault - Copp - Laine

I wouldn't put Laine with those two guys, he needs to get tons of playing time IMO

I wouldn't mind seeing that other line, something like:
Laine - Scheif - Ehlers
Vesalainen? - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Copp - Roslovic

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I feel like, while I like Copp, this post enlightened me more about these stats than about Copp.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
This Copp love is beyond ridiculous, anyone who understands hockey clearly should realize that a certain level of skill both puck and stick skill is essential for a top 6 role neither of which Copp possesses!

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
This Copp love is beyond ridiculous, anyone who understands hockey clearly should realize that a certain level of skill both puck and stick skill is essential for a top 6 role neither of which Copp possesses!
Haha Sip, so you prefer some intangible "skills" to results.
Why?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sorry for being hard on you;), but this is an example of the *dogma* IMO, that I am opposing. What makes him a bottom-sixer? If he gets the job done, and some of the best on-ice results at 5v5, he should see more ice time (and that should define "Top-6"/"Bottom-6" IMO)

So then Laine should be in the bottom 6?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Based on last season, yes, but not based on the last three seasons.
What is your opinion?

I like what we did today with Copp-Lowry-Wheeler. They can switch off on faceoffs and you even saw them switch off on forechecking. That line has a lot of versatility and may get Wheeler back to playing a 200 foot game.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, it was promising. I just think Copp is a natural center, and has more offensive potential than Lowry.

Lowry is the better faceoff man but that doesnt mean that Copp cant take faceoffs or even lead down the middle of the ice. Wheeler also acts like a center in the offensive zone. Copp also likely gets a lot more shots off with Wheeler on his line. That line could do some damage on the cycle and would be damn hard for any team to play against.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I would definitely love to see Ehlers-Copp-Laine -line again. They were great for all the 5(?) games they were together 17-18. Maurice downplayed Copp's role on that success in public stating that their success was just due to Ehlers&Laine being excited from the change (they were playing ELL prior to that).

Connor-Copp-Laine would do as well, so if Fefe&Blake remain hip-jointed on the season, Ehlers should play with them to make them net positive.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
He plays like poor man’s Crosby imo. But how poor is the question? Rich enough to pot 20 goals and 50 points getting second line and second PP icetime? If so, do it!
Thats exactly, what I have noticed as well (but don't tell anyone;))

Reactions: mazmin

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I wouldn't put Laine with those two guys, he needs to get tons of playing time IMO

I wouldn't mind seeing that other line, something like:
Laine - Scheif - Ehlers
Vesalainen? - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Copp - Roslovic

MP - Scheif - Laine (17 minutes)
KV - Little - Wheeler (16 minutes)
Connor - Roslovic - Ehlers (14 minutes)
Copp - Lowry - Apples (13 minutes)
Chibisov

JMo - Niku (26 minutes)
Kuli - Pionk (20 minutes)
Heinola/Beaulieu - Poolman (14 minutes)
Heinola gets at least 8 games

Helle (55 games) LB (27 games)

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Copp having insanely good advanced stats while looking like a grinder who can't stick handle is the ultimate battle of the eye test vs analytics.

If he turns into a top 6 player, I'll be pleasantly surprised but I'll also never trust myself to evaluate players again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad