Player Discussion: Andrew Copp, the unsung hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I don't know how that can be said with any measure of certainty in the wake of the Blackhawks/Beach scandal and Chevy's implication. Memory is very short around here.

Chevy was assistant GM, and a low man on a totem pole, who had little to do with the handling of the incident. What's next? Should they fire the zamboni driver too while they are at it?

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Why wouldn't Copper want to sign here long term?
It sounds like Chevy had a chat with him about possibly being traded.

What I really liked was his comment about... since the Seattle game, we aren't sitting back on our lawnchairs letting them tee it up...

He would but the Jets did not step up to the plate to make that happen last off-season. The Jets decided to invest elsewhere to make a massive approach this season (which did not work).

Is there enough salary cap $ next season to sign Copp long-term? Is it a good use of our salary cap $?

Frankly, after this weekend, if we're still close to the playoff WC spot, we should keep Copp unless we can extract a 1st round pick from him. The reason I say this is if Helly gets his game back in time for the playoffs, they can be a very dangerous team.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Section 325

Nov 5, 2014
Calgary, AB
I think that Copp would be a good player to trade. He is a really hard worker but I feel that he lacks a finishing touch when it comes to scoring. We could probably get somebody that would fit a bit better with the style of play that the Jets are most successful with (speed and skill) instead of paying 4 million for an above average checking forward.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Didn't his current and previous contract both go to salary arbitration? I understand that the process of that leaves players feeling bitter afterwards.

His second to last contract went to arbitration where he had a hearing.... two-year, $2.28 million AAV arbitration award

His last contract was arbitration filed, but never went to a hearing... Jets signed him to one-year, $3.64MM contract before the hearing.

Statistically speaking, almost every player that goes thru the arbitration process to the point of having a hearing... gets traded or walks from the team that put them thru the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
He’s as good as gone IMO. Dubois contact will be large and he’s more important. Plus the D is still a mess and that’s another priority.
You aren’t going to add more money to the defense next year. We already have Schmidt playing on the 3rd pair making 6 mill. if the defense needs fixing it won’t be by adding more money to it. It will be moving someone out and either allowing a prospect in or money in for money out. I think it’s much more likely that they spend less on defense next year if they attempt to fix it than spend more.

Trade Schmitt for a 3rd (seems to be his going rate) and you can be looking at some mix of Stanley, Heinola, Samberg, Chisholm on the 3rd pair. You can then keep Copp who all these people who think he’s some sort of secondary player are really going to miss if he leaves.

Reactions: hn777

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
You aren’t going to add more money to the defense next year. We already have Schmidt playing on the 3rd pair making 6 mill. if the defense needs fixing it won’t be by adding more money to it. It will be moving someone out and either allowing a prospect in or money in for money out. I think it’s much more likely that they spend less on defense next year if they attempt to fix it than spend more.

Trade Schmitt for a 3rd (seems to be his going rate) and you can be looking at some mix of Stanley, Heinola, Samberg, Chisholm on the 3rd pair. You can then keep Copp who all these people who think he’s some sort of secondary player are really going to miss if he leaves.
It’s not just about next season. Copp will want 5-6 year deal and Dubois maybe even longer

Reactions: SCP Guy

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
If Copp was interested in giving us good value for AAV, he would be signed long-term already. He's an Overcharge client and not worth the premium. Our salary cap dollars are better used elsewhere.

I wonder what type of trade compensation Copp can command? Should he even be playing tonight?

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Appreciated all the Copper brought to the team
Always notice he patted everyone off the ice after the game and last one off after the game ended
Real team player
I think he can bring to the Jets more than what Ladd got at TD

Reactions: Hunter368

seancolorado

Oct 8, 2011
Avs fan coming in peace. What has Copp's concussion history been like prior to this year? If he theoretically stayed with the Jets in a different timeline would that be concerning moving forward a la Bowen Byram or is it impossible to tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad