Andrei Vasilevskiy's insane season

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Is it true that he was considered as a prospect to have the potential to be the Russian equal of Carey Price?
Yikes not that much. He was just regarded as the #1 goalie prospect in the world at the time and it was generally accepted that he would retain that title for what was an indeterminable amount of time until someone else came along. Carey Price talk would've been taking it way too far. We Lightning fans just wanted him to not totally suck.

He was just regarded as a franchise goalie with a very high probability of reaching his ceiling

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I still want to see Vasilevskiy maintain this level of play through the season and, most of all, into the playoffs. Even so, I admit he's been much better than I expected. Sure, he has a good team in front of him, but as we saw last year with Tampa (and most teams), without solid goaltending even a good team won't win. It's not a coincidence that most of the top teams also have the top goalies. Vasilevskiy is a big reason Tampa's doing so well.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Vasilevsky has been amazing. I wish I had kept him in my fantasy hockey pool. I went with Jake Allen who has been good, but Vas has been better.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I read somewhere Quick only faced 35+ Shots 16 times between 2014 and 2017.

People still do not get it how little quality chances the Kings have been giving up the last years. Top 3 every season since 2010 in shots against per game. His extremely low GAA is a result of that but it also affects his SV%.

I just do not get it why people keep refering to his SV% as being low. There is more to the picture. Brodeur had + .920% only three times in his career. Kings and those Devils teams played very similar.

I think Crawford deserves some praise. Never thought I would say this.

Totally agree, he's really shining, showing people why he's thought highly of rather than just being an expendable part on a near-dynasty team.

Frankly I don't think there's much separation in the top-5ish right now but I'd think for the Vezina right now it has to be Vas, Quick, Crawford. I think Quick deserves a shout out for facing so many high danger shots/chances too.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Totally agree, he's really shining, showing people why he's thought highly of rather than just being an expendable part on a near-dynasty team.

Frankly I don't think there's much separation in the top-5ish right now but I'd think for the Vezina right now it has to be Vas, Quick, Crawford. I think Quick deserves a shout out for facing so many high danger shots/chances too.

As I said, all teams both generate and allow between 9 and 13 HD chances per 60 minutes. All 31 teams are separated by only 4 HD chances per 60 minutes.

What typically separates the strong defensive teams from weaker ones isn't the quality, but the quantity. This year this really hasn't been the case as all teams are allowing 29 shots or more per game, but in years past the strongest defensive teams would allow 25-26 shots per game.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As I said, all teams both generate and allow between 9 and 13 HD chances per 60 minutes. All 31 teams are separated by only 4 HD chances per 60 minutes.

What typically separates the strong defensive teams from weaker ones isn't the quality, but the quantity. This year this really hasn't been the case as all teams are allowing 29 shots or more per game, but in years past the strongest defensive teams would allow 25-26 shots per game.

I don't really disagree, I've been on board with you that the proportions of CA to high danger rarely get considered. I'm just pointing out--because I've seen the 'system goalie' thing a few times this year--that Chicago and LA are at 318 and 310 HDCA, near the bottom of the league. If anything, that supports what you're saying--the workload has gone up and so have Crawford and Quick's stats (rather than crumbling as has long been the suggestion).

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
This opinion wont be popular but I liked Vasy way more in his junior years. He seems less aggressive and slower than he was back then. Thats just the matter of hockey taste, i believe but that the impression i get from him these days. He was quicker with the glove and more Hasek-like overall.

Reactions: Hint1k

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I don't really disagree, I've been on board with you that the proportions of CA to high danger rarely get considered. I'm just pointing out--because I've seen the 'system goalie' thing a few times this year--that Chicago and LA are at 318 and 310 HDCA, near the bottom of the league. If anything, that supports what you're saying--the workload has gone up and so have Crawford and Quick's stats (rather than crumbling as has long been the suggestion).

I wasn't trying to argue, I was just trying to add on to your point. What really grinds my gears though is when people say that shot mapping isn't the same as determining HD chances. Yes it can be true that a shot in close is not a high quality scoring chance. However it is imo never a good idea to ever let an opposing player shoot from in close no matter how well you have it defended.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This opinion wont be popular but I liked Vasy way more in his junior years. He seems less aggressive and slower than he was back then. Thats just the matter of hockey taste, i believe but that the impression i get from him these days. He was quicker with the glove and more Hasek-like overall.
That's just him getting better positionally. Fewer reflex saves but he's still got the athleticism when a play breaks down.

And it really shows in shootouts.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yikes not that much. He was just regarded as the #1 goalie prospect in the world at the time and it was generally accepted that he would retain that title for what was an indeterminable amount of time until someone else came along. Carey Price talk would've been taking it way too far. We Lightning fans just wanted him to not totally suck.

He was just regarded as a franchise goalie with a very high probability of reaching his ceiling

He didn't have the hype of Price, but certainly the talent.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Why has he got two different last names that what interests me right now...
I am not sure to which name you made a reference, but his actual last name is Vasilevsky. That's how I spell his last name in English. While his first name is Andrey. Also he has a patronymic as all Russians do - Andreevich. Basically it means that his father first name is Andrey too.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
He's only 23 (2012 drafted like Matt Murray), which is very young for a starting goaltender. And he's currently leading the league in save %, and wins. Since last season I believe amongst all young goaltenders that he's the best, or at least tied with Matt Murray.

He's also got the pedigree of an elite goaltender
- .950 stellar WJC u20 performance
- drafted in the 1st round
- World Championships gold medal
- World Championships best goaltender
- consistent career elite #s
d90b161ee2215862ee951392a9fb15cf.png

Do you see him beating out someone like Bobrovsky and winning the award?

Oh yeah, Peter Budaj's #s in Tampa is .867 and 3.75 GAA (almost 2 more). Far cry from his LAK .917 and 2.12 GAA
Why is your title in Russian? This is English-only forum.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I am not sure to which name you made a reference, but his actual last name is Vasilevsky. That's how I spell his last name in English. While his first name is Andrey. Also he has a patronymic as all Russians do - Andreevich. Basically it means that his father first name is Andrey too.
Well, to me, Vasilevsky isn’t like Vezinevskiy at all :laugh: is it just translation?

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
That's just him getting better positionally. Fewer reflex saves but he's still got the athleticism when a play breaks down.

And it really shows in shootouts.

Visually, freaky athleticism vasy was fun to watch. As a bolts fan, it was not enjoyable. He is looking more positional, which isn’t as fun to watch, but it is him becoming a more complete goalie. He can’t just be the freak athlete with crazy reflexes to be the best in the world. He still pulls it out when he needs to be bailed out, but it is way less common these days.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

He is as quick, flexible, etc as before... Just has gotten incredibly good with his positioning and does not need to flop half of the chances as before. But will do so if needed. Not sure we will see another Hasek soon the way the Game is played.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's got all the tools and apparently the mental game as well, and on top of that he's on an elite team. I can see amazing things and wouldn't put it past him to be a generational guy; but he's still gotta get there. In this era, you need more than a stellar year or two to be considered generational, the goaltending pool is insanely deep. Only guy that's really separated himself right now in my eyes is Lundqvist (maybe Luongo too?) and that's due to longevity more than it is peak.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He's got all the tools and apparently the mental game as well, and on top of that he's on an elite team. I can see amazing things and wouldn't put it past him to be a generational guy; but he's still gotta get there. In this era, you need more than a stellar year or two to be considered generational, the goaltending pool is insanely deep. Only guy that's really separated himself right now in my eyes is Lundqvist (maybe Luongo too?) and that's due to longevity more than it is peak.

Lundqvist would be my poster boy for best goaltender too. He has dropped off since 2 seasons ago though but even without a cup he's a hall of famer

Price had one of the most dominant seasons with his Hart victory

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I wouldn't call any goalie generational based on any one season, especially if wins is the main stat that stands out as wins is really a team stat.

Having said that, he's having an incredible season and it's worth noticing and pointing that out.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1