Andrei Vasilevskiy's insane season

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I wouldn't call any goalie generational based on any one season, especially if wins is the main stat that stands out as wins is really a team stat.

Having said that, he's having an incredible season and it's worth noticing and pointing that out.

I'm with you... to me a "generational" goalie is one who embodies the best traits of a goaltender... and one of the most important traits in goaltending is "consistency", another one is "money in the big games". I grant that Vasi was phenomenal in world juniors, but how can any goalie possibly demonstrate "generational" before they've even completed a full season as the go-to starter?

That said, I'm a big fan... I just don't see what separates the best from the 2nd best or top 5 these days unless it is a demonstrated ability to keep coming back and proving it nightly... I'm a goalie myself and I know that any goalie can go all-worldly for a period... but it's the mental game that leads to consistency and is valued by teammates (well... not MY teammates, hahah)

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Yeah, he's likely going to end up with a .923 save percentage or so and still be comfortably in the running for the Vezina. He isn't a .930+ goalie, just as Stamkos and Kooch aren't 120 point players.
Wouldn't mind @DominicBoltsFan piping in on this issue though, he's generally quite cogent on Lightning issues.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'm with you... to me a "generational" goalie is one who embodies the best traits of a goaltender... and one of the most important traits in goaltending is "consistency", another one is "money in the big games". I grant that Vasi was phenomenal in world juniors, but how can any goalie possibly demonstrate "generational" before they've even completed a full season as the go-to starter?

That said, I'm a big fan... I just don't see what separates the best from the 2nd best or top 5 these days unless it is a demonstrated ability to keep coming back and proving it nightly... I'm a goalie myself and I know that any goalie can go all-worldly for a period... but it's the mental game that leads to consistency and is valued by teammates (well... not MY teammates, hahah)
Imo "generational" or "the best" goalies are guys who play at a very high level year after year after year. We've seen a ton of goalies have a great year or two only to burn out and become average or less shortly after. I don't think Vas will do that, but he has to keep it up for a while before it's proven.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Yeah, he's likely going to end up with a .923 save percentage or so and still be comfortably in the running for the Vezina. He isn't a .930+ goalie, just as Stamkos and Kooch aren't 120 point players.
Wouldn't mind @DominicBoltsFan piping in on this issue though, he's generally quite cogent on Lightning issues.
hi

vasi isn't generational but he could very well finish this season with a .925

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think it's way too early to say anything. He's been playing out of his mind, but the entire team is running on another level right now. If he's still putting up these numbers in 2-3 seasons, then I think this can be a discussion.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
assuming he wins the Vezina, last 23 yr old to do it was Patrick Roy in 1988-89

Roy is a generational goaltender
hash

youngest was Jim Carey at 21

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This might be a discussion when he wins a Hart trophy. Until then, it is hard to be a generational player unless you are deemed the absolute best player in the league for a sustained period of time. The only goalie to do that in recent history is Hasek who won 2 harts and was in the top 3 three other times.

There isn't a different standard based on position. You either have a strong case for being the best player of your generation reflected through Harts or Pearson/Lindsay's or you don't.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Vasi gave up 8 goals in his first two games of the season and looked like an all-star at the same time as he was left out to dry. I knew he was going to have a great season then, and provided our defense doesn't revert back to the way it was to start the season his stats are definitely sustainable.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
with that logic Mario Lemieux isn' generational because he and Gretzky played at the same time
Brodeur was never voted the best player in the league by either his peers or the writers in charge of covering the sport (he has two 3rd place finishes and two 4th place finishes). Now, these people aren't perfect, but if someone was so blatantly the best player in the league they should win a couple of these.

The only goalie with a solid claim at being a generational player is Dominick Hasek. Guys like Glen Hall, Roy, Brodeur, Sawchuk, Plante, etc are all-time greats and clear first-ballot Hall of Famers but I don't think they were ever viewed as the absolute best player in the league at any point they played in the league. I'd say that is probably a requirement to be viewed as generational.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He was a generational goaltending prospect. We don't yet know if he'll be a generational goaltender. That has to be earned. He's well on his way to getting there tho.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Win at a high level year after year, pick up lots of hardware, and win multiple cups, then you're in the conversation of generational.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad