GDT: Anaheim players at the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
The Finnish fans tore Vatanen a new one in the comment sections all through this tournament, especially during tonight's game against the Russians.

Seem like every single duck has been underwhelming...at least so far.. :/

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, this could be the year that Getz and Perry both comee out healthy and flying, and the rest of the team stinks it up.

Last edited:

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
The Finnish fans tore Vatanen a new one in the comment sections all through this tournament, especially during tonight's game against the Russians.

I was saying he looked bad in the Sweden game, but I actually thought he looked a lot better in this game against Russia. A lot hungrier, and a lot better with the puck, especially in the offensive zone.

He just seemed much worse because his utilization wasn't the best. An offensive D-man is going to look atrocious if there's no offense and you get scored on. The PP units had no chemistry, and that made it look like he was giving more bad passes and being more selfish than he actually was. Vats has always had way more chemistry with Getz and Pears than he had with anyone in this unit. If he plays like this during the reg season, and RC has the presence of mind to use him as an offensive D-man as opposed to either the star producer or the defensively responsible guy to count on, he'll be more effective.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Guys this tournament aside, what do you think with Gibson first full year as a starter. Will he step up to those lofty expectations?

Oct 18, 2011

that finland team was a disaster, the GOAT finlander Laine looked awful, we have to remember it's a short tournament. remember how awful the ducks looked at the beginning of last year? it wasn't an accurate barometer of player ability

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
feel like vatz tried to do way to much....he will be fine...kesler has played well for the US to, dont feel like I have every watched a game in which he has play where I said "did kesler even play tonight?"...LOVE that him.

Win Jiggys Loft

Jun 16, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Guys this tournament aside, what do you think with Gibson first full year as a starter. Will he step up to those lofty expectations?

I'm not too optimistic. When he's on, he's on, but he seems to be out a decent time with injury every year, and I question his ability to handle the full workload. That being said, the best part of having low expectations, is that you can never be disappointed (too much).

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Not to be argumentative, but I felt freddy was injured as much as Gibson these last three years. I understand that Gibson usually has a prevalent groin injury, but Freddy was out vs la playoffs, concussion against Tampa, and out here and there this past year.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
He just seemed much worse because his utilization wasn't the best. An offensive D-man is going to look atrocious if there's no offense and you get scored on. The PP units had no chemistry, and that made it look like he was giving more bad passes and being more selfish than he actually was. Vats has always had way more chemistry with Getz and Pears than he had with anyone in this unit. If he plays like this during the reg season, and RC has the presence of mind to use him as an offensive D-man as opposed to either the star producer or the defensively responsible guy to count on, he'll be more effective.

Exactly. The Finnish roster was barren to start with, and the players appeared acutely aware of it. Vats was one of those guys who was trying to beat the odds and to lead the team out of the trough, but ended up overcommitting himself and grasping the stick just a bit too tightly over and again.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
But, it was also a useful reminder of how Vats is still no Erik Karlsson. He is a potent offensive D-man who punches way above his physical weight, but he is no bona fide #1 that you want to try and build your defensive foundation on. Brian Rafalski remains his most obvious role-model or development goal.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I was saying he looked bad in the Sweden game, but I actually thought he looked a lot better in this game against Russia. A lot hungrier, and a lot better with the puck, especially in the offensive zone.

I really don't think the passing issue is a new one. Maybe more noticeable, given how important it was on the PP from him to Laine, but if you watch Anaheim's PP this last season, you'll see a lot of instances where they look like they are trying to set up for a one-timer, and Sami is putting the pass a bit off from ideal places.

Getzlaf and Fowler, in my opinion, were better at setting that up. When Fowler was out and Theodore was in, I think that's why those plays often went through him too, instead of the more experienced Sami. Vatanen seemed better as a shot threat, when he could get the shot through. As the QB, he sees the ice well, but the execution isn't always there. He doesn't seem to have that soft touch on the one-time pass.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I don't think Getzlaf has been underwhelming at all.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
You guys must hate Tre Kronor, Rakell injured, Lindholm in the press-box and Silfverberg playing on painkillers.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
wait what. hes injured?

According to a Swedish newspaper, Aftonbladet, Silfverberg received treatment during the NA-Sweden game although he played the rest of the game, and today he was caught on camera by a photographer being given pills by the team medical staff, so he's in all probability playing on painkillers atm.
silfverberg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad