GDT: Anaheim players at the World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Having NHL refs, on top of hamstringing team USA with team NA, creates an impression of deck-stacking on Canada's behalf that they don't really need.
They can't hear your impression with the big wads of cash stuffed in their ears.

Serious answer: honestly this is such a joke tournament in so many ways I can't bring myself to care about appearances. You could argue they aren't even trying to make this appear legit. Does it detract? Normally yes, but there isn't much to take away from anymore.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
They can't hear your impression with the big wads of cash stuffed in their ears.

Serious answer: honestly this is such a joke tournament in so many ways I can't bring myself to care about appearances. You could argue they aren't even trying to make this appear legit. Does it detract? Normally yes, but there isn't much to take away from anymore.

I just noticed that the finals are a best of 3 (maybe I noticed before but didn't pay attention). But it seems like that makes it that much harder for a team to beat Canada by punching above its weight class in a single elimination championship game. Honestly, they should have just called this the Canada Cup.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Eh, it wasn't the final I was hoping for but I'll definitely be watching this coming week. I'm actually okay if Canada loses considering the underdog status of Team Europe.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
For some reason when they say Tatar, it sounds to me like they are referring to Kopitar as "The Tar." Like the Hoff or the Fonz.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Getzlaf didn't. He took several "maintenance days" and reporters speculated he was dealing with an injury.

He also served up a couple Getzlaf specials with blind backhand passes including one tonight.

Agreed though that thankfully this stupid thing is over and we can have our guys back. They were already going to miss most of camp. Had this gone any longer they may not have gotten into more than one preseason game.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Finally the pre-pre-season tournament is over. Surprised how little interest I had in this. I didn't even get myself to watch any of the final games even though I was up last night. Bettman can hype this up all he wants, this didn't even come close to the Olympics for me. Couldn't even touch the '04 World Cup.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Finally the pre-pre-season tournament is over. Surprised how little interest I had in this. I didn't even get myself to watch any of the final games even though I was up last night. Bettman can hype this up all he wants, this didn't even come close to the Olympics for me. Couldn't even touch the '04 World Cup.

Similar for me. I wasn't really interested to begin with, but thought that I'd just run into a game as it goes along, but nothing.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Only thing this tournament did for me was convince how great Tatar is. I would do that Fowler trade for him in an instant.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Detroit is great at developing forwards and we are great at developing defensemen. There is a natural match there!

(put aside the natural ''hatred match'' in the 2000`s :sarcasm: )

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
@AnaheimDucks DYK: Corey Perry is just the second player in hockey history (Scott Niedermayer) to win six separate major internat… https://t.co/y0Brrz27DU

Link to Tweet: https://twitter.com/AnaheimDucks/status/781921536856862721

I laughed at "major".

Yeah the world cup is far from major. The trophy was basically going to Canada the whole way through, hardly a major tournament win. There are two teams that are remotely near them in terms of ability and one picked a poor roster and lost great players to a gimmick team and the other lost to the other gimmick team in the Semis due to their elite goalie not looking so elite anymore.

vavera4ka

Quack! Quack!
Dec 27, 2014
twitter.com
Yeah the world cup is far from major. The trophy was basically going to Canada the whole way through, hardly a major tournament win. There are two teams that are remotely near them in terms of ability and one picked a poor roster and lost great players to a gimmick team and the other lost to the other gimmick team in the Semis due to their elite goalie not looking so elite anymore.

I'm sorry, this excuse is BS. Just because team USA effed up with their roster doesn't diminish the fact that Canada is (and has been for a while) head and shoulders above everyone else.
Elite goalies have stinkers in Olympics as well as play offs, that's the nature of elimination games. Had there been team Slovakia (which team Europe essentially was) would you have had a problem with them winning? And highly doubt Sweden would have beaten Canada in best of 3.
I'll give you inability of USA to stack up their roster with under 23 talent but they were gazillion miles away from utilizing the pool they had to work with, do you really trust them putting together a truly best and most competitive team that would have challenged the juggernaut that Canada is?

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I'm sorry, this excuse is BS. Just because team USA effed up with their roster doesn't diminish the fact that Canada is (and has been for a while) head and shoulders above everyone else.
Elite goalies have stinkers in Olympics as well as play offs, that's the nature of elimination games. Had there been team Slovakia (which team Europe essentially was) would you have had a problem with them winning? And highly doubt Sweden would have beaten Canada in best of 3.
I'll give you inability of USA to stack up their roster with under 23 talent but they were gazillion miles away from utilizing the pool they had to work with, do you really trust them putting together a truly best and most competitive team that would have challenged the juggernaut that Canada is?

It's not an excuse, I agree Canada is head and shoulders above everyone else. I was saying there are only two teams that are close to them in terms of depth and ability and one messed up their roster and the other didn't make the final. I didn't say they would have won.

And yes I would have loved it Slovakia was in the tournament and won. That would have been awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad