La Liga 2023-24

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Barca takes an early lead, Christensen of all people, chested the ball into control nicely and then volleys it in.

But Girona strike back immediately from kick-off, Duvbnyk with his 20th of the season.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Tough for Barca, as Portu scores the equalizier about a minute after coming on. Dovbnyk with patience to wait until squaring the ball for the scorer.

And Gutierrez puts Girona ahead. Barca defence collapsing.

Edit: And with Portu scoring his 2nd to make it 4-2, looks like Girona will mathematically secure their CL spot with this win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turbonium

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Will RM party hard for 3 days or just shrug off the title celebrations with business as usual and be back training tomorrow.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I don't mind finishing behind Real and being eliminated by PSG, as we can't match those teams at this point in our history.

But finishing a whole season behind Girona is a historical disgrace.

Finishing behind Girona would be much worse than finishing behind Espanyol, who at least have previous good Spanish top flight history behind them with some 3rd place finishes.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Pretty frustrating to watch Valencia struggle so much due to a terrible owner. Their social media team tries to highlight the fact that they use their academy players more than almost any other top division team in Europe but it's only due to Lim refusing to spend any money.

Amunt!

Valencia should be proud of promoting from the cantera, but the club is definitely being mismanaged. It wouldn’t take a huge outlay to make them more competitive either if they scout well. Imagine if they’d only spent the 21 million it took for Sporting Lisbon to get a guy like Gyokeres. Sure they need more than just him, but a goalscorer like that for Valencia is probably the difference between mid table and a European place. Also, with the stadium and being in Europe the investment probably largely pays for itself.

I don't mind finishing behind Real and being eliminated by PSG, as we can't match those teams at this point in our history.

But finishing a whole season behind Girona is a historical disgrace.

So glad I prioritized birdwatching instead of the match today.

Actually, we have to give Girona some credit because irrespective of us they’re still having a very strong season. You’re still right though. It’d be OK if we didn’t have the talent, but we do. I’m not even a fan of some of our highest profile players, but we should still be performing better. I have a feeling we either won’t/can’t get rid of the players we should, but I hope we can at least bring in a couple of players we need.

Also, agreed on Xavi. Managerial merry-go-round has changed a bit in the last couple of weeks and now I’m definitely more in the camp of “take a chance and bring him in”. It’s not as though there aren’t still some interesting managers out there, though a couple of weeks ago it seemed as though there were destined for elsewhere. I think my biggest gripe are his selections and refusal to give guys minutes because they weren’t “his signings” even if they perform.

Reactions: Turbonium

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Barcelona get some unexpected help from hard working Alaves, who draw Girona in the 97th minute. Son for ex Barcelona player Hagi involved heavily in that final play.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Barcelona get some unexpected help from hard working Alaves, who draw Girona in the 97th minute. Son for ex Barcelona player Hagi involved heavily in that final play.

Sadly we still have to rely on ourselves which is something I’m not too confident in.

Reactions: luiginb

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Fran Garcia scores his first goal of the season and first for RM senior team (he has scored for other La Liga teams previous seasons). Brahim Diaz with an assist accross the box.

Before the goal, Guler had been the most industrious of Real Madrid players, but nothing to show for it. Courtois has made a good save or two.

Edit: Guler gets his reward with a goal, buildup by Brahim Diaz and Fran Garcia, the latter making the final pass. 2-0 at half-time.

Edit2: Brahim Diaz continues his good form. He turns with the ball at half-way line, goes past several Granada players and calmly places his shot to score in successive matches.

Some minutes later Brahim scores his second from inside the box with a quick turn after Modrid passed the ball to him.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Las Palmas lost their 8th in a row and haven’t won in 11 matches or two months. Real tale of two halves for them. They could actually go down mathematically, though they’d have to lose their remaining matches. Hopefully they stay up, but have to wonder how Pimienta survives for next season.

Hopefully the bottom three remain the bottom three. Celta could go down as well, but I think they’ll stay up. Wouldn’t be good going down in your centenary season, though might serve you right putting Benitez in charge.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Barca go ahead from a counter attack against Socieded.

Gundogan was too slow, so he would have been caught even with having a head start of 5 metres with the ball, but at least he was smart enough to pass to Yamal, who scored.

• Love
Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad