Not open for further replies.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
So how I have been spending my Fridays:

This was the backline ignition, I was on the brushtruck for suppression:
View media item 1369
This is some of my handywork, doing spot ignition from the drag line into the middle of the stand:

View media item 1367
Hang on, this may also be a picture of the Sabres season. @joshjull
Coincidentally (or possibly not), I watched "Only the Brave", about the Granite Mountain Hotshots. It was an excellent movie. Very well made and very emotional.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So how I have been spending my Fridays:

This was the backline ignition, I was on the brushtruck for suppression:
View media item 1369
This is some of my handywork, doing spot ignition from the drag line into the middle of the stand:

View media item 1367
Hang on, this may also be a picture of the Sabres season. @joshjull

That looks pretty cool. Never had to deal with forest fires in my career thankfully. A few brush fires but that's it.

How is it kept under control with the scale you're working with?

I'd also ask what you're majoring in or your connection to this. I rarely come in this thread so I'm at at loss trying to comprehend why you're working with forest fires. :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That looks pretty cool. Never had to deal with forest fires in my career thankfully. A few brush fires but that's it.

How is it kept under control with the scale you're working with?

I'd also ask what you're majoring in or your connection to this. I rarely come in this thread so I'm at at loss trying to comprehend why you're working with forest fires. :laugh:

Wildland firefighting is part of forest management. I’m at the forestry school at the University of Florida. Control is mostly a matter of weather conditions and ignition. We laydown a back line at one of our fire breaks. In this instance we used spot fires on a grid pattern to make sure that we never had more than about 10 feet on fire at one time. And the specifications for the weather are fairly tightly controlled. Humidity, wind speeds, smoke mixing height, ambient temperature: They all play a part in determining if we can get the permit to burn.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Wildland firefighting is part of forest management. I’m at the forestry school at the University of Florida. Control is mostly a matter of weather conditions and ignition. We laydown a back line at one of our fire breaks. In this instance we used spot fires on a grid pattern to make sure that we never had more than about 10 feet on fire at one time. And the specifications for the weather are fairly tightly controlled. Humidity, wind speeds, smoke mixing height, ambient temperature: They all play a part in determining if we can get the permit to burn.

Forest management is quite the career switch. Sounds like a very interesting change of pace.

Those fire controls seem quite methodical.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Forest management is quite the career switched. Sounds like a very interesting change of pace.

Those fire controls seem quite methodical.

Officially I'm in "natural resource management" which is the bullshit program where I get to pick a majority of my classes. :biglaugh:

Best part of my week is fire ecology. We have a professor on staff who was a 10-year western wildland firefighter before she got into teaching. I could get into the why's and wherefore's of the whole thing, but suffice to say it's a hoot.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
So I know we have a lot of transplants around here. I'm thinking about maybe moving out of the Buffalo area because I don't like the housing market despite having a pretty decent paying job. I don't really have anything keeping me here, all my friends are married/moved away. It looks like down south is the way to go, Tennessee/Oklahoma and Texas (depending on the area) all seem to have pretty reasonable costs of living. I'm not too worried about finding a job as I have a skill set that should enable me to get a job anywhere. So based on experience where's a good place to move to? I'm open to anything.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So I know we have a lot of transplants around here. I'm thinking about maybe moving out of the Buffalo area because I don't like the housing market despite having a pretty decent paying job. I don't really have anything keeping me here, all my friends are married/moved away. It looks like down south is the way to go, Tennessee/Oklahoma and Texas (depending on the area) all seem to have pretty reasonable costs of living. I'm not too worried about finding a job as I have a skill set that should enable me to get a job anywhere. So based on experience where's a good place to move to? I'm open to anything.

Make a list of what is important to you and then start seeing what ticks the most boxes. Then work from that.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Officially I'm in "natural resource management" which is the bull**** program where I get to pick a majority of my classes. :biglaugh:

Best part of my week is fire ecology. We have a professor on staff who was a 10-year western wildland firefighter before she got into teaching. I could get into the why's and wherefore's of the whole thing, but suffice to say it's a hoot.
Work colleague of mine from years ago (we still keep in touch. He ran production I ran engineering for our Dept.) was ex-us army attaché for a general. Prior to that he was a fire jumper but I don’t recall why/how the military was involved in that, unless they support the USFS.
He definitely had a couple harrowing experiences where they had to get inside the foil tents and ride through a flashover or whatever it’s called. Scary “stuff”.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
AFAIK Texas has little to no income tax but high property tax. My sister is in Oklahoma. I’ve visited once since she’s been there. Love her to death but there is nothing about OK which appeals to me. I’d take high NYS taxes over the OK terrain any day.
Tennessee is nice. Haven’t lived there but have visited west/Memphis, central/Nashville, and east/Knoxville.
Texas is freaking huge. I’d advise a couple visits first if you contemplate living there, given the diversity of locales.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Work colleague of mine from years ago (we still keep in touch. He ran production I ran engineering for our Dept.) was ex-us army attaché for a general. Prior to that he was a fire jumper but I don’t recall why/how the military was involved in that, unless they support the USFS.
He definitely had a couple harrowing experiences where they had to get inside the foil tents and ride through a flashover or whatever it’s called.
Those tents actually work? That amazes me.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He definitely had a couple harrowing experiences where they had to get inside the foil tents and ride through a flashover or whatever it’s called. Scary “stuff”.

Not sure -- I know early smokejumpers were often ex-paratroopers since they already had the training and some had adrenaline junkie habits.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Speaking of smoke and fires and stuff, I quit cigarettes and am now living that vape life y'all, but like any non-bro type now I feel oddly self conscious.

Funny stuff. :laugh:

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Speaking of smoke and fires and stuff, I quit cigarettes and am now living that vape life y'all, but like any non-bro type now I feel oddly self conscious.

Funny stuff. :laugh:
I've vaped for a year and a half. I regret it. I cant even do much biking or playing in pick up because my lungs are just drenched in glycol. lol

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I've vaped for a year and a half. I regret it. I cant even do much biking or playing in pick up because my lungs are just drenched in glycol. lol
I'm vaping tobacco straight up, none of that weird nicotine liquid. It's been about a week and I have noticed massive improvements. The constant throat phlegm and congested ears have almost gone away completely, I feel like I am breathing easier, it tastes better, I don't smell like smoke, I do it way less than cigs, I save money, etc.

I didn't know that the glycol in ecigs had that effect over time. I'm glad I didn't go that route. I read it was harmless though. Are you sure you're just not out of shape? :laugh:

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I'm vaping tobacco straight up, none of that weird nicotine liquid. It's been about a week and I have noticed massive improvements. The constant throat phlegm and congested ears have almost gone away completely, I feel like I am breathing easier, it tastes better, I don't smell like smoke, I do it way less than cigs, I save money, etc.

I didn't know that the glycol in ecigs had that effect over time. I'm glad I didn't go that route. I read it was harmless though. Are you sure you're just not out of shape? :laugh:
Well to be honest, I workout everyday and I'm out of breath easily. I used to play numerous sports when I was younger but my cardio has always been bad. so theres that. But riding my bike in the spring has gotten harder ever since I started vaping, but that's just me.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Well to be honest, I workout everyday and I'm out of breath easily. I used to play numerous sports when I was younger but my cardio has always been bad. so theres that. But riding my bike in the spring has gotten harder ever since I started vaping, but that's just me.
I'll take your word for it then. Will report any long term effects if I can remember.

Reactions: Mittelstadt

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

I'm not a smoker / vaper, and I'm not a chemical expert, but not clear to me a food and cosmetic additive like propylene glycol would have an abundance of long-term inhalation data vs. the more likely available long-term ingestion data.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Awww yiss, only 2 years of waiting

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 2.28.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 2.28.34 PM.png
    114 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Chainshot

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I'm not a smoker / vaper, and I'm not a chemical expert, but not clear to me a food and cosmetic additive like propylene glycol would have an abundance of long-term inhalation data vs. the more likely available long-term ingestion data.
I read a little bit more about this after last night's game. The only studies that exist that I could find that involved humans was one involving people that worked around and with fog machines. There were no long-term negative health effects observed. This obviously isn't the best data though, since the glycol in ecigs is inhaled directly and at a higher level of concentration.

FDA approved for ingestion. Unknown as far as inhalation is concerned. I'm very curious as to what the science tells us in say, 20 years, about the safety of these substances. My intuition says they're ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad