OT: An OT thread unlike any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Did you never complain about almost dying when you were younger?

I don't think I would have even thought to complain in such a situation when I was younger, to be honest. I guess I have more self-respect than I used to, heh.

It's either that or I just like to complain more now. Who knows. I can't tell. I try not to complain in general, but I'll sure as heck complain about almost getting hit by a car.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, the head coach and the assistant coach both got an added game tacked onto their one game suspensions.

The head coach got the extra game for dropping F bombs on teh ref after he was tossed and the assistant coach got the added game for not leaving the building when he was kicked off the bench.

We will be fine when we have a rematch with the team this all happened against. But, the following game will be tricky as I will be on my way to sunny FLA and that will mean that we only have one coach to run the bench as the goalie coach will be in the penalty box.

And my work life became a lot more interesting today...

Photocopier maker slashes 10,000 jobs

Time will tell how this plays out.

I am more optimistic about this than Icahn's sabre rattling of late.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Good luck Jim. I'm not sure how I dodged the axe for 5 years in my former life.

We had a couple of different comms meetings last year.

I am optimistic about things should the merger go through. One concern is the unpredictable nature of the current administration and the fact that this would be a foreign entity getting majority control of a Fortune 500 company.

So.....

But, I would be a lot more worried if Carl Icahn got his way.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Q2 grades are in.

My struggling 10th grader is still struggling.

My excelling 8th grader is still excelling and got even closer to the high honor roll.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
@joshjull and @littletonhockeycoach

My son just turn 7 and plays U8 mites, sometimes they pull him up to squirts. Good skater for his age. Having trouble lifting the puck on shots, and slows down dramatically when he gets the puck. I've got limited ice time with my job and where we live. Thinking that I just need to take him into the garage and have him shoot pucks. Also, we do have time and area for roller blading, so I'm thinking of sticking handling drills on inline skates with a puck or tennis ball.

He wants to get better and is asking to do stuff. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

My son just turn 7 and plays U8 mites, sometimes they pull him up to squirts. Good skater for his age. Having trouble lifting the puck on shots, and slows down dramatically when he gets the puck. I've got limited ice time with my job and where we live. Thinking that I just need to take him into the garage and have him shoot pucks. Also, we do have time and area for roller blading, so I'm thinking of sticking handling drills on inline skates with a puck or tennis ball.

I have a bunch of ideas. I'll PM them to you later.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

My response is attached to Josh's conversation in the PM

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

One challenge with lifting pucks can be partially that U8 uses the lighter blue pucks and Squirts use the heavier black pucks.

One thing that can help shooting is if you have a shooting station at home, doing something like the 10,000 puck challenge:

10,000 Pucks Contest powered by HockeyShare.com

As far as slowing down with the puck goes, some of that is natural and it just takes time to develop the ability to play at as close to full speed as possible with the puck.

That is a little bit harder to develop off the ice. But, you can do stuff with stickhandling balls off the ice and training stickhandling with the head up and that can transfer to the ice.

Another option there could be talking to his coach and seeing if they can push him to play faster with the puck in practice.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well, the kids responded well to two of their coaches being suspended.

I told them to go out there with the mindset to win 100-0 and to skate away when the other team starts getting stupid and cheapshotting them.

The head coach had told them on Thursday that he wanted 13 goals.

Well, they started slow, but ended up winning 13-0. And they did a good job of staying away from talking penalties once the other team started losing their heads anytime our team took the body in the third period.

My son had two goals and felt that the refs missed a third goal going in. The refs blew the whistle with the puck under the goalie. When the goalie got up, the puck was over the goalline. But, the refs didn't give him the goal.

Oh well.

He'll have to settle for getting to wear the A that another assistant coach gave him after the game. I'll never give him anything like that because I don't want his teammates to think that he got it because he's my kid.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I really wish I didn't have to go to work today.

Yesterday was extremely frustrating and we leave for Florida early tomorrow morning and I still have a lot of packing to do and I need sleep....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia