Blue Jays/MLB 2024

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I’ve been more focused on the NHL playoffs the last couple weeks and in that time haven’t watched the Jays as much as I normally do. I am watching today and I’m surprised to not only see Monoah has been called up but that he’s today’s starter. How did that happen? I know his starts in Buffalo didn’t go well. For those still following closely, why did the team call him up? Every decision involving this guy makes less and less sense. I’d love to know the real story here.
His last start was dominant down there and they are short a pitcher right now so they needed him to start. The nationals are also pretty bad so it’s a good landing spot for him. After a couple of walks in the first he has looked pretty good so far. He has lost a lot of weight, still seems to get in some funks with control from what I can see

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
And he’s the same guy, doesn’t have command. When he makes good pitches they are elite but he’s just too unpredictable

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
His last start was dominant down there and they are short a pitcher right now so they needed him to start. The nationals are also pretty bad so it’s a good landing spot for him. After a couple of walks in the first he has looked pretty good so far. He has lost a lot of weight, still seems to get in some funks with control from what I can see
I didn’t know about his last start in Buffalo. Even still, after everything that’s happened with this guy I’d have hoped they’d have set a higher standard of consistency and performance for him before recalling him. He’s a guy that needs to earn his way back. Gifting him a spot didn’t help him last year.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I didn’t know about his last start in Buffalo. Even still, after everything that’s happened with this guy I’d have hoped they’d have set a higher standard of consistency and performance for him before recalling him. He’s a guy that needs to earn his way back. Gifting him a spot didn’t help him last year.
Agree and I’d imagine this outing will set him back again. This is a lost year for the jays now anyways. Bo, vlad and Springer are below replacement level, and showing no sign of coming out of it.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Have to think that Schneider is about one weeks worth of mostly losses away from being unemployed. Especially if they keep getting blown out.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Because they’re sucking?
Atkins has hired Montoyo and Schneider, two off the board picks nobody else had any interest in hiring as manager. After having seen 8+ seasons of how Atkins runs his team there is no reason to think the next one will be any different. This season is lost. Let this group ride out what they have until ownership flushes out the entire organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordy Elbows

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Unlike the Leafs, the Jays don’t have a sold out stadium….they have to strive to get bums in the seats. Especially after upgrading / renovating the park. And charging more for seats.
This trend of failed seasons isn’t helping the cause and they need to adjust things.
Atkins has no natural advantage here and neither does Schneider. Changes can and will be made….soon.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Atkins has hired Montoyo and Schneider, two off the board picks nobody else had any interest in hiring as manager. After having seen 8+ seasons of how Atkins runs his team there is no reason to think the next one will be any different. This season is lost. Let this group ride out what they have until ownership flushes out the entire organization.
As a Yankee fan, I encourage them to leave things as is.:D

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Quite a life. RIP Sean Burroughs Ex-MLB IF, Little League star Burroughs dies at 43

I remember this guy in the Little League World Series as a second generation baseball player who seemed destined for an MLB career. Absolute domination at that age. HIs Dad was a giant human being who hit home runs that might still be orbiting the earth. Surprised to read about the troubled life he led and now dead at 43.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
@Stoneman89

I think I was right about Atkins.

Also Turner is hitting .250 now with a .732 OPS.

;)
Turner has been a great addition so far, I dont know why you keep picking on that one. I can get being upset at them not adding more impact players, but on its own, the JT signing has been a solid one. Even at .250 he's still out doing half the roster, and was easily their best hitter for the first month of the season.

Atkins has lots of dealings to pick apart, but this ain't one of them.

Vladdy is finally coming around, but Bo looks terrible. Most of the role players have been doing an excellent job. Clement, Schneider, IKF. Jansen has been solid since returning from injury, and sorely missed. Kirk, Springer, Bo, Varsho, Keirmaier, and Vladdy for the first month, have really done nothing to help the team so far outside of a few days here or there. Rocking f***ing Vogelbach while they have Orelvis and Barger? Giant WTF.

The bullpen has been absolute ass outside of Yimi too, the complete opposite of how dominant it was last year. I disagree with the above poster saying the season is lost. There's 122 games to play. But they do need to do something instead of letting it slide and truly pissing away the season. You are right about Atkins. He absolutely has to go and not get another coach. Has there been a team recently that fired a GM and Coach during the first quarter of a season? A team expected to compete anyways?

Feel like Schneider would be the one to take the heat while the season is going, and Atkins getting it when it's over. But hey, I'd gamble at this point.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Turner has been a great addition so far, I dont know why you keep picking on that one. I can get being upset at them not adding more impact players, but on its own, the JT signing has been a solid one. Even at .250 he's still out doing half the roster, and was easily their best hitter for the first month of the season.

Atkins has lots of dealings to pick apart, but this ain't one of them.

Vladdy is finally coming around, but Bo looks terrible. Most of the role players have been doing an excellent job. Clement, Schneider, IKF. Jansen has been solid since returning from injury, and sorely missed. Kirk, Springer, Bo, Varsho, Keirmaier, and Vladdy for the first month, have really done nothing to help the team so far outside of a few days here or there. Rocking f***ing Vogelbach while they have Orelvis and Barger? Giant WTF.

The bullpen has been absolute ass outside of Yimi too, the complete opposite of how dominant it was last year. I disagree with the above poster saying the season is lost. There's 122 games to play. But they do need to do something instead of letting it slide and truly pissing away the season. You are right about Atkins. He absolutely has to go and not get another coach. Has there been a team recently that fired a GM and Coach during the first quarter of a season? A team expected to compete anyways?

Feel like Schneider would be the one to take the heat while the season is going, and Atkins getting it when it's over. But hey, I'd gamble at this point.
The poster I mentioned was arguing with me that Atkins’ signing of Turner was somehow remotely comparable to Cashman trading for Soto. That’s the only reason I brought it up.

Atkins is on his final two weeks as Jays GM, hopefully. Finishing May at 6-7 games below .500 should be the end of his tenure.

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The poster I mentioned was arguing with me that Atkins’ signing of Turner was somehow remotely comparable to Cashman trading for Soto. That’s the only reason I brought it up.

Atkins is on his final two weeks as Jays GM, hopefully. Finishing May at 6-7 games below .500 should be the end of his tenure.
Haha well if that was the case I'll see myself out. As you were :thumbu:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I can’t see this happening. If Shapiro was going to fire Atkins he’d have done it by now. It’s going to take Roger’s to flush everybody including Shapiro and that’s not going to happen during the season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I can’t see this happening. If Shapiro was going to fire Atkins he’d have done it by now. It’s going to take Roger’s to flush everybody including Shapiro and that’s not going to happen during the season.
It’ll happen. Crowds will dry up and it won’t be a good look to have a bunch of empty seats in the newly renovated stadium.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Bullshit and lies from you as usual. I never said Turner was the same as Soto. I said Turner was a very good signing from the beginning. You were trashing him after 3 games for his batting average.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Bullshit and lies from you as usual. I never said Turner was the same as Soto. I said Turner was a very good signing from the beginning. You were trashing him after 3 games for his batting average.
I compared Atkins and Cashman making moves this offseason and used the numbers between Soto and Turner to make a point. You kept bringing up Turner in multiple follow up posts.

Obviously I’m gonna throw it back in your face now that Soto is maintaining his elite hitting numbers whereas Turner has trailed off into average numbers.

The good news is once Atkins gets fired I won’t have to argue that my team’s GM is worse than yours. ;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Haha well if that was the case I'll see myself out. As you were :thumbu:
I compared Atkins and Cashman making moves this offseason and used the numbers between Soto and Turner to make a point. You kept bringing up Turner in multiple follow up posts.

Obviously I’m gonna throw it back in your face now that Soto is maintaining his elite hitting numbers whereas Turner has trailed off into average numbers.

The good news is once Atkins gets fired I won’t have to argue that my team’s GM is worse than yours. ;)
You were the one that started off things by quoting stats after THREE games. Anyone that follows baseball and knows it's a 162 game schedule would be ridiculing someone that does that. As others on here have said as well, Turner has been a value signing for this team to date. No one expected him to hit .300 and 35 homers, but he will provide value for what he makes and has a winning pedigree. Soto makes many times what Turner makes and should be expected to produce much more. Any fool can see that except for you. And to add potential salt, both of them will be free agents at the end of this season. The Jays lost no one in acquiring Turner, so no big deal if he walks or retires. But Soto will be hot commodity around the league and the Yankees traded 5 players for him, including a very good starter in Michael King.

Reactions: GOilers88

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You were the one that started off things by quoting stats after THREE games. Anyone that follows baseball and knows it's a 162 game schedule would be ridiculing someone that does that. As others on here have said as well, Turner has been a value signing for this team to date. No one expected him to hit .300 and 35 homers, but he will provide value for what he makes and has a winning pedigree. Soto makes many times what Turner makes and should be expected to produce much more. Any fool can see that except for you. And to add potential salt, both of them will be free agents at the end of this season. The Jays lost no one in acquiring Turner, so no big deal if he walks or retires. But Soto will be hot commodity around the league and the Yankees traded 5 players for him, including a very good starter in Michael King.
I started quoting stats after three games because I knew it was likely that one player would be good for 162 games and the other one wouldn’t be as good for 162 games. I also qualified it by saying it was a SSS.

And yeah, the Jays lost no one but they’re also last in the division and can’t hit for shit while your team is well on their way to a great season and a chance at a championship. Anyone could see that Atkins traded away or lost too much offense over the last three years and replaced it with literally only Turner. You wouldn’t believe me when I said Atkins isn’t a good GM but the results don’t lie.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I started quoting stats after three games because I knew it was likely that one player would be good for 162 games and the other one wouldn’t be as good for 162 games. I also qualified it by saying it was a SSS.

And yeah, the Jays lost no one but they’re also last in the division and can’t hit for shit while your team is well on their way to a great season and a chance at a championship. Anyone could see that Atkins traded away or lost too much offense over the last three years and replaced it with literally only Turner. You wouldn’t believe me when I said Atkins isn’t a good GM but the results don’t lie.
So yes, now you admit YOU were the one that started the comparison of the players, not me. To even bring it up after 3 games in a 162 game season, regardless of the projections, is beyond stupid.
And I NEVER said or implied that Turner would be the stick that got the Jays a championship or propelled them to a great season. Only that I thought he was a solid signing. And I never said Atkins was a great, or even a competent GM. Only that Cashman has been trash given the resources he has had at hand and the length of time since the Yankees even made to the World Series, let alone win it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So yes, now you admit YOU were the one that started the comparison of the players, not me. To even bring it up after 3 games in a 162 game season, regardless of the projections, is beyond stupid.
And I NEVER said or implied that Turner would be the stick that got the Jays a championship or propelled them to a great season. Only that I thought he was a solid signing. And I never said Atkins was a great, or even a competent GM. Only that Cashman has been trash given the resources he has had at hand and the length of time since the Yankees even made to the World Series, let alone win it.
I never said you started the comparison, I said you kept bringing it up in follow up posts. So I’ll bring it up now when the numbers suit my narrative. ;)

You didn’t believe me either when I said Cashman was better than Atkins. Now you know. Or would you still take Atkins over Cashman?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I never said you started the comparison, I said you kept bringing it up in follow up posts. So I’ll bring it up now when the numbers suit my narrative. ;)

You didn’t believe me either when I said Cashman was better than Atkins. Now you know. Or would you still take Atkins over Cashman?
I have no idea why you brought up a comparison after 3 games in the first place. As I've said, beyond stupid.
And as I actually have stated, Cashman has had about 80 million more in payroll to work with, so the expectation should be much higher. Again, beyond stupid.

By the way, since you're bringing up their current standing. Who made the playoffs last year and who finished in last place?;)

Reactions: Barrsy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad