OT: An OT thread unlike any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'm having hockey withdrawal after yesterday's binge.

We played the jamboree at Wake Forest University yesterday. All the teams and coaches got free tickets to the Carolina Thunderbirds game. The kids got to skate with the Thunderbirds after. Was a pretty sweet hockey day. Sabres game wasn't even a thing. :laugh:

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My son's team successfully took the last place team out behind the woodshed today.

The most entertaining part was one of our players who received a cheap shot drew an unsportsmanlike for clapping at the player sarcastically. His dad, who is also an assistant coach, lost his mind and got thrown out. And then the sensitive ref heard our coach talking to a player when he was by our bench, thought our coach was talking about the refs, and threw him out, too. The head coach, who hates refs, said he wasn't talking about the refs.

I just hope that neither of them are suspended beyond next game as I will be on a cruise with my wife and we will have issues running the bench if that is the case.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
What's everyone's craziest hockey fantasy?

Here mine: Antipin is actually FSB trying to bring the North American game down with Kremlin kompromat tactics to further destabilize the west. Well documented by my posting history, but c'est la vie.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
happy new year to all you late fellas :P
Hz3pEal.jpg
I'm surprised Sam Reinhart isn't in this picture to be honest.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
For those that do the VPN thing ....

I'm researching which one i should go with. Totally ignorant about them so i'm slowly learning.
I'm mainly going to be using it for Torrents.

Here are a few I'm thinking about. Just by googling "best VPN".

ExpressVPN
IPVanish
PureVPN

In case others are considering getting into VPN, which one do you use and why?
What (if any) settings or preferences do you set?

If any of this needs to be taken to a PM, then contact me.

Thanks!

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
My son's team successfully took the last place team out behind the woodshed today.

The most entertaining part was one of our players who received a cheap shot drew an unsportsmanlike for clapping at the player sarcastically. His dad, who is also an assistant coach, lost his mind and got thrown out. And then the sensitive ref heard our coach talking to a player when he was by our bench, thought our coach was talking about the refs, and threw him out, too. The head coach, who hates refs, said he wasn't talking about the refs.

I just hope that neither of them are suspended beyond next game as I will be on a cruise with my wife and we will have issues running the bench if that is the case.
Ooooh hockey stories in the OT thread. Oh no!

We had a game a few weeks ago with this ref that is just awful.

Guy on the other team gets a breakaway. He takes a shot and our goalie saves it. While taking the shot he loses his footing, falls and slides right into our goalie, knocking our goalie *partially into the net*. This also causes the puck to come lose and go into the net.

The mother f***ing ref calls is a good call. Here's the conversation that immediately followed.
Ref: *makes good call signal*
Goalie: Wait, what? That's a goal?
Ref: It's a good goal
Me: Uh... the guy ran into the goalie, how is it a good call?
Ref: It wasn't deliberate
Goalie: That doesn't make sense, can you explain to--
Ref: ENOUGH, THAT'S MY CALL.

Ref was red in the face and looked like he wanted to take someones head off. He refused to give an explanation. Other ref basically shrugged and said there's nothing he could do.

I understand beer league refs deal with a lot of shit, but the division we play in is pretty damn tame and there isn't a lot of BS to deal with aside from the usual complaining about calls. Ref obviously has issues he needs to deal with.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What's everyone's craziest hockey fantasy?

Here mine: Antipin is actually FSB trying to bring the North American game down with Kremlin kompromat tactics to further destabilize the west. Well documented by my posting history, but c'est la vie.

I have a lot less fantasy... or perhaps a lot more:

Buffalo drafts and develops well, becoming a perennial powerhouse and example of both how to build and maintain a roster in a cap world. Cup parades dance in my fever dream.

Yeah... a lot more. :biglaugh:

Reactions: valet and sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My fantasy: Howard Baldwin gets together a ragtag group of mercenaries and stages a successful coup against the NHL, complete with Bettman ending up like Mussolini hanging off the top of league headquarters. Baldwin then awards himself an expansion team that will be the reborn Hartford Whalers, which causes hockey fans throughout the world to erupt in unbridled joy and jubilation.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I almost got run over by a couple of Ontarians with a carload of clothes today. Talking about snowbirds...

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I was walking down Elmwood (yeah) earlier, and a maybe 16/17 year old girl almost hit me in her car when I had the light, very noticeably. I had to run out of the way.

She was turning, didn't even think to stop.

I threw my arms up in the air and yelled at the car. I felt older than I am. IDK, is this what getting older feels like?

Reactions: Chainshot

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Also made my 3 yearly appearance at goodbar and had a go at the pool table against some coked up 23 year olds. So aggressive.

The testosterone...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Snow birds.......

My wife earned it through her direct sales business.

If it were up to me, it would be in April. After hockey season and before baseball/soccer season.

I am really looking forward to the first real vacation with my wife. I'm not looking forward to missing my son's last three regular season hockey games.

Especially since the coaching staff may be shorthanded after some unfortunate drama during our last game.

The coaching staff has been asked to appear at the associations board meeting tomorrow.

Another assistant was kicked off the bench after his son got an unsportsmanlike call for sarcastically clapping after a kid cheapshotted him and got called for a penalty.

Then he continued to yell from the stands and he got tossed from the rink.

After the kid got out of the box, the head coach was trying to talk to him about how he can't take penalties (he's close to the two game suspension for going over 50 PIMs) even if the refs aren't doing their job and he has to keep his head.

Well, the ref heard that and tossed the head coach saying he was disrespecting the refs.

Someone called the league and our association and said the head coach got tossed twice. He didn't. But, the refs only put on the scoresheet about the head coach getting tossed and nothing about the assistant coach getting tossed.

I had to rearranged my CF coaching schedule to be free for the hearing tomorrow night.

Not thrilled.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So, had the meeting last night.

The assistant coach is suspended for our next game by the association because he got tossed, even if the refs didn't put it in the report.

The head coach is suspended for our next game and the association may add more beyond that. We are supposed to find out today.

And the whole coaching staff is on probation for the remainder of the season.

As long as the head coach doesn't get something crazy beyond his one game, it's fair.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
For those that do the VPN thing ....

I'm researching which one i should go with. Totally ignorant about them so i'm slowly learning.
I'm mainly going to be using it for Torrents.

Here are a few I'm thinking about. Just by googling "best VPN".

ExpressVPN
IPVanish
PureVPN
PIA

In case others are considering getting into VPN, which one do you use and why?
What (if any) settings or preferences do you set?

If any of this needs to be taken to a PM, then contact me.

Thanks!

Anyone, anyone?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was walking down Elmwood (yeah) earlier, and a maybe 16/17 year old girl almost hit me in her car when I had the light, very noticeably. I had to run out of the way.

She was turning, didn't even think to stop.

I threw my arms up in the air and yelled at the car. I felt older than I am. IDK, is this what getting older feels like?

Did you never complain about almost dying when you were younger?

Been working out for over a month. I haven't worked out on a consistent basis since 2013.. I'm noticing muscle memory take its form on me.

Feels good bros

I had to kick off some rust at the start of the year, but things are starting to improve and I'm beginning to see results. The best thing is though, my daughter is my new workout partner -- she's up and wants to go to the gym by 6:30 a.m. every morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad