Olympics: American and Canadian refs when USA/CAN are playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccato

Nov 4, 2013
I trust the refs and I'm from Sweden. Let's enjoy the game and may the best team win.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Ok let me translate the word "principle" in a way I hope even you can understand; "Normative rule or code of conduct". Yeah, it's definitely worth getting "riled up about".

If you don't think it will affect the outcome then why does it matter?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

This video is something else. A complication of calls going against Russia and missed calls against Canada, because there were no calls against Canada and missed calls against Russia.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
2002 Gold medal game. 4 penalties for Canada, 3 for the USA

2010 Gold medal game. 2 penalties for Canada, 2 for the USA

Soooooooo biased OMG corrupt cheating Canada!!!!!!!
I said it before its not all about penalties. Its about none-calls, icings, puck drops, penalty shots, talking to captains, offsides, socializing whit coaches etc. refs does alot of things

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Think you are on to something there.. They probably want/like Canada to win, NHL pressuring IIHF. Canada wins, Canada happy and will continue to send NHLers. Canada looses , uncertainty if the NHLers will patricipate 2018, not good for the interest, not good for IIHF . Canadian refs= greater probability for Canadian success

Nah. That makes no sense. The NHL isn't interested in growing the game in Canada because they know they don't need to. They would be pressuring them to throw games for the US if anything, since that's the market they're more concerned with.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
No, NHL has a deal with IIHF to have NHL-referees in the big games. It's part of the deal that they were going to allow the players to represent their countries.

Bla, bla, bla, the problem with you americans is that you can't seem to grasp the idea of nations competing with each other on friendly yet emotional basis. You see, most nations in Europe has been at war with each other and against each other, so us competing on a friendly basis actually means a lot to the people even though some doesn't want to admit it. So that's why we want to keep things as clean as possible and this is a time where the game has gotten a dirty stain, it's called "jäv" in swedish and if it were a court-room even though they would be the best there is always a trust-issue which would evolve into that the court would be unjust just because maybe the judges know the family or are involved in the company of some sort.

And this is exactly the case here aswell. And that's the problem, i just want a fair fight without any doubt that something shady has happened. That's why i can't seem to enjoy the 2006 Olympic Gold Medal, because they went away from the thought of the ideals of sports.

Oh yeah you guys are so noble...that's why all the scandals seem to happen in friggin soccer. I can't think of any proven officiating scandal in NA sports.

Maybe we have it right over here where people from the same country as those playing can ref a match because we gave a little more trust and honesty. I guarantee you no one in Canada wants to win with help from a ref. Disgusting thought.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
I said it before its not all about penalties. Its about none-calls, icings, puck drops, penalty shots, talking to captains, offsides, socializing whit coaches etc. refs does alot of things

If this was such a problem in any of those games where are all the Americans that should be up in arms?

Like I said, this whole thread is just one big preemptive excuse thread. Grow up.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
This video is something else. A complication of calls going against Russia and missed calls against Canada, because there were no calls against Canada and missed calls against Russia.

Haha havent change that much during the year for team Canada:laugh:

You guys are famouse for playing dirty hockey.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013

And were there complaints about any of this in those games? You are like talking to a brick wall.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Should have brought in a couple of KHL refs or the woman who did the Canada-USA women's' game; she apparently refs occasionally in the British professional league. My problem is that Canadian refs, given our cultural inferiority complex, will be aware of the criticism heaped upon their selection and will go out of their way to ensure Canada does not get any breaks by bad calls. Forsberg was actually doing the Swedes a favour, IMO, by publicizing this (as he well knows).

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

1. That was way, way, way before the interference crackdown in North America so a lot were legitimate plays and checks which were allowed at the time.

2. That video showed diving for both sides. However, the diving that some Russians did was pretty extreme. It looked like they were shot by a sniper.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
No, NHL has a deal with IIHF to have NHL-referees in the big games. It's part of the deal that they were going to allow the players to represent their countries.

Bla, bla, bla, the problem with you americans is that you can't seem to grasp the idea of nations competing with each other on friendly yet emotional basis. You see, most nations in Europe has been at war with each other and against each other, so us competing on a friendly basis actually means a lot to the people even though some doesn't want to admit it. So that's why we want to keep things as clean as possible and this is a time where the game has gotten a dirty stain, it's called "jäv" in swedish and if it were a court-room even though they would be the best there is always a trust-issue which would evolve into that the court would be unjust just because maybe the judges know the family or are involved in the company of some sort.

And this is exactly the case here aswell. And that's the problem, i just want a fair fight without any doubt that something shady has happened. That's why i can't seem to enjoy the 2006 Olympic Gold Medal, because they went away from the thought of the ideals of sports.

So basically what you're saying is that Europeans have trust issues and aren't mature enough to get over it?

EDIT: If that's the case then that's your problem and you'll need to get over it.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
Should have brought in a couple of KHL refs or the woman who did the Canada-USA women's' game; she apparently refs occasionally in the British professional league. My problem is that Canadian refs, given our cultural inferiority complex, will be aware of the criticism heaped upon their selection and will go out of their way to ensure Canada does not get any breaks by bad calls. Forsberg was actually doing the Swedes a favour, IMO, by publicizing this (as he well knows).

I see envision this happening as well. Like I said earlier, I'll bet someone that Canada ends up being penalized more. There's a little word called integrity that some people here should learn. I wish it was purely Scandinavian refs so there would be less *****ing here... but I would rather have games reffed by officials that come from the hardest league in the world. Don't get me wrong, I understand why some Swedes are upset, but the defeatist attitude from some of you already before the puck has even dropped... jesus, you sound like Oiler fans

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Oh yeah you guys are so noble...that's why all the scandals seem to happen in friggin soccer. I can't think of any proven officiating scandal in NA sports.

Maybe we have it right over here where people from the same country as those playing can ref a match because we gave a little more trust and honesty. I guarantee you no one in Canada wants to win with help from a ref. Disgusting thought.

Wasn't there an NBA official that was charged with being corrupted through gambling?

It happens everywhere

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
As an American, I have no problem with 4 Canadian NHL officials in a USA-Canada match. Even if its a gold medal game.

If I didn't trust NHL officials to be able to put their biases aside and ref a fair game I wouldn't watch hockey. I complain about bad calls all the time, but I've never believed it to be deliberate.

What a well constructed and delivered post.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
1. That was way, way, way before the interference crackdown in North America so a lot were legitimate plays and checks which were allowed at the time.

2. That video showed diving for both sides. However, the diving that some Russians did was pretty extreme. It looked like they were shot by a sniper.

ofc they were:laugh:

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
If you don't think it will affect the outcome then why does it matter?

Nobody can give a 100% guarantee that the chosen Canadian refs aren't biased. They are most likely not, but to avoid ANY suspicions at all, you pick refs from a neutral country. EVERY other sport who wants to be taken seriously would do so. It's the principle for all international competition. It's not something we are making up here. What the IIHF pulled here is the exception to what any other sport would do. That's why people are upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00