Olympics: American and Canadian refs when USA/CAN are playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
I agree. Your countrymen reffing you doesn't belong to the Olympic Games, which should all be about transparency and good sportsmanship.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I'm pretty sure a Canadian or American Referee calls every game of these Olympics regardless of who is playing.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I don't think bias is the issue, but the style and criteria of reffing is.

NA players won't be used to some calls EU refs make, and vice-versa.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
As an American, I have no problem with 4 Canadian NHL officials in a USA-Canada match. Even if its a gold medal game.

If I didn't trust NHL officials to be able to put their biases aside and ref a fair game I wouldn't watch hockey. I complain about bad calls all the time, but I've never believed it to be deliberate.

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
I seem to recall a long time ago, that NHL refs were a requirement by the NHL or NHLPA or even both for NHL to participate in the tournament. Did I dream it up?

Anyway, I have no problem with this arrangement. Best refs, please.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
I don't think bias is the issue, but the style and criteria of reffing is.

NA players won't be used to some calls EU refs make, and vice-versa.

Most of the European players on the good teams are very used to North American reffing

I'd rather have two American refs when playing against the US than two of what I've seen the IIHF provide in the past

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Its pretty hard to not have a North American Referee on every crew in these games when they make up 60 % of the officiating crew.

EmeticDonut

Oct 7, 2006
Not bothered. Refs are professional and it didn't matter last Olympics either. No reason it should this time.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Not bothered. Refs are professional and it didn't matter last Olympics either. No reason it should this time.

Last, no.

There were however some games that were called questionably over the years. It happens, unfortunately.
From the top of my head, USA-Russia semi in Salt Lake was one.

premadonna

Oct 5, 2012
We don't even have professional referees in Finland and I guess this is the case in most European countries. As much as people whine about the level of officiating in the NHL, those guys are the best in the business; they are experienced professionals and used to dealing with top players and the pressure. There's a good chance European amateurs would be overwhelmed by the occasion.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I trust their professionalism and experience. I'd gladly take 2 American NHL officials to ref a medal game between the U.S. and Canada over anything else the IIHF can dig up.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
I seem to recall a long time ago, that NHL refs were a requirement by the NHL or NHLPA or even both for NHL to participate in the tournament. Did I dream it up?
Quickly browsing couldn't find a game that did not have a single Canadian or American ref. Seems like almost like a requirement.

What I don't get that is why don't they use refs from USA if Canada plays and the other way around? It's like there is not even an attempt to be theoretically unbiased. And if both plays, 50/50 split the nationalities.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Quickly browsing couldn't find a game that did not have a single Canadian or American ref. Seems like almost like a requirement.

What I don't get that is why don't they use refs from USA if Canada plays and the other way around? It's like there is not even an attempt to be theoretically unbiased. And if both plays, 50/50 split the nationalities.

This is what I would like to see them make an effort to do. It's more about perception than anything. I certainly am not worried about any officials being intentionally biased, though there exists in all people a subconscious bias which from time to time finds ways to bubble out.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
We don't even have professional referees in Finland and I guess this is the case in most European countries. As much as people whine about the level of officiating in the NHL, those guys are the best in the business; they are experienced professionals and used to dealing with top players and the pressure. There's a good chance European amateurs would be overwhelmed by the occasion.

The refs in KHL are professional but that doesn't make them automatically better. We've seen the quality of Russian refs in international games over the years and they manage to make Finnish league refs look good. Not really surprised they were stupid enough to pay Jyri Rönn to officiate in Russia. :laugh: He's a perfect fit there considering how inconsistent he was back here.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
It's plain wrong, there is no other arguments. If I insist team Finland games should have referee from Finland, do you think it is right?

Why to favour Canadians in tomorrows game.. If Canada wins, it will be shadowed by home referee very likely, unless he doesn't call anything. And you cant blame people for blaming referees.. They should just make that home-ref madness impossible to happen.

If I was the ref in Finland - Sweden Final, I would be biased.. I would play against the possibility to prove it, which would make it pretty even for both teams. Borderline calls would go in Favor of my team. I get some Canadian refs might actually not do anything like that on purpose, but I'm 100% certain it will happen unconscious in some fast borderline situations..

Last edited:

Noutaja

Aug 29, 2004
Are you serious?

That was an amazingly officiated game.

I trust NHL officials, if they aren't biased for teams they cheer for they should be fine in international play.

And remember refs have pride in wanting to be good enough all tournament to ref the final.

Well, I don´t trust them. At the very least there should be only US refs in Canada games and vice versa.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I pretty much trust their professionalism and try to see plays and calls unbiased, but I can't help myself doubting them.

I mean, should they make mistakes that benefits canadians more than us, questions of bias will rise.

Even tho I prefer canadian NHL ref over any finnish ref, I'd much rather have american refs against CAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille