Olympics: American and Canadian refs when USA/CAN are playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Haha i bet Barack Obama (yes i know he is USA president and not Canadas) would scream loudest of them all:laugh:

But its funny not even in Champions Leauge its allowed with ref from the same countery as the clubteam who's playing

I'm getting a kick out of those "association football does it better" posts.

You mean that a sport where bribery and match-fixing are endemic, where even the sport's governing body admits referee corruption is a big problem, takes special measures to protect itself from the appearance of impropriety? Really? No kidding.

So hockey is bush-league because it doesn't have enough of a history of corruption to have to handle referreing with kid's gloves?

If Europeans have such problems trusting referees to do their job, maybe they should blame their own refs, and not ours.

I'd rather have an all-American crew for the final, if only to stem this constant whining, but I have no doubt about their professionalism. And yes, I'd trust 4 Swedish referees to do their job in the same circumstances.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Their careers? what would they risk to be nationall heros when Canada wins the gold:sarcasm:?

if they are so biased towards canada you think they will be welcomed back to the NHL with open arms and a wink?

They would be shown the door for making a mockery of our favorite sport

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Lol pathetic Forsberg making excuses already. Even Kronwall and Karlsson have no problem with it.

If anything the refs will be tougher on Canada to prove they are not biased.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
you cant possibly think that the refs would risk their careers and reputation for 1 game. I mean really???
This is the most important game of them all for most people and players.. A good/bad game from the refs here could make/break their career. This is probably the only thing I agree on whit the Candians in this thread. And this should cancel out the worst biased calls and none-calls from the refs, come game time

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
“It’s the biggest break (the Swedes) could have got,” said Cherry. “I guarantee you the first penalty (Sutherland) calls will be against a Canadian. Watch and see. And I’m never wrong.”

With all the hoopla, I wouldn't doubt that the whistle goes away on calls they would normally make. Quite sad actually, these are professionals in every sense of the word.

The best team will win tomorrow.

jp7

Aug 13, 2011
Lol pathetic Forsberg making excuses already. Even Kronwall and Karlsson have no problem with it.

I think people underestimate this.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
I'm getting a kick out of those "association football does it better" posts.

You mean that a sport where bribery and match-fixing are endemic, where even the sport's governing body admits referee corruption is a big problem, takes special measures to protect itself from the appearance of impropriety? Really? No kidding.

So hockey is bush-league because it doesn't have enough of a history of corruption to have to handle referreing with kid's gloves?

If Europeans have such problems trusting referees to do their job, maybe they should blame their own refs, and not ours.

I'd rather have an all-American crew for the final, if only to stem this constant whining, but I have no doubt about their professionalism. And yes, I'd trust 4 Swedish referees to do their job in the same circumstances.

Sure you would, so there is no coruption in american sports aswell?

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
With all the hoopla, I wouldn't doubt that the whistle goes away on calls they would normally make. Quite sad actually, these are professionals in every sense of the word.

The best team will win tomorrow.

I don't care about favours. I want a clean game. You understand, we want a fair fight, not some disadvantage and certainly not an unjust advantage.

It would've been a non-discussion if we just had a team of finns, ruskies, some other like slovakians, czechs and maybe an american. It's not like their leagues are bush-league and the referees there don't have experience with international play.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's not hard to explain. Soccer and Basketball are two very big sports. To have refs of the same nationality as the players, wouldn't be able to do, because of the worldwide interest in the sport.

With that said. European referees in Basketball gets do call every type of game. They are not better qualified than for example a ref from the KHL! Most sports really believe that not having biased refs, is vital to what we call "fair play". After all. They are human.

Hockey is an exclusive sport, that don't have a large fanbase. If Europe stopped playing hockey, the sport would still survive in Canada. Your market is huge when it comes to hockey. With that said, you don't have to listen to any criticism or suggestions from other parties.

I know it's hard to look at the world from your own bubble. But really. I have a brittish friend who asked me what's up with Canada and the favors they get in hockey. Nations that are use to global sports like soccer and basketball (90% of the world) looks at hockey, and see corruption. You don't. With that said, it doesen't matter if you explain to everyone that we need Canadians refs, because they are the best, because people will see through that explaination and point at basketball. Perhaps there isn't any corruption. But it's still really embarrassing from a global perspective.

So let me get this straight. Your point fundamentally boils down to "The best refs in the world, as evaluated by the highest governing body in the sport, shouldn't be allowed to ref the gold medal match if their country is in it because people, who don't follow the sport and aren't interested in listening to the actual explanation. will assume it's corrupt." Is that accurate?

Ralfduran

Jul 24, 2009
Stockholm, Sweden

It would be kind of stupid to complain about how NHL does things, when they pay your contract. Players always stays neutral to their employer!

Forsberg is pissed, because he has payed against Canada and their referees in a lot of important games. Not least this final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm3MxFAxnUM

Game misconduct? I think not!

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
Hopefully these refs aren't as hard on Sweden as the refs who were during the 2014 World Junior Final. Whoops.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I don't care about favours. I want a clean game. You understand, we want a fair fight, not some disadvantage and certainly not an unjust advantage.

It would've been a non-discussion if we just had a team of finns, ruskies, some other like slovakians, czechs and maybe an american. It's not like their leagues are bush-league and the referees there don't have experience with international play.

Why are you telling us? Go tell the NHL & NHLPA who both agreed to the terms. You may be on to something here! I don't think they've ever considered that, this is revolutionary information! :handclap:

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
The vast majority of hockey officials come from countries and cultures where they are expected to be honest and unbiased and work in a professional manner. It is pretty easy to check which the countries and cultures are that have big problems with corruption and I have to admit I would be a bit concerned in putting officials from those countries in a situation where they may be expected to cheat to help their home team. Since the NHL remains far and away the strongest league in the world I think it is the only place where an official can get the experience they need to referee best on best hockey. The NHL should do more to hire and train referees from outside of North America. If there were a better pool of qualified officials then I would have no problem with having a rule that refs can't work games where their home nation is playing. However given the current situation I think what they are doing is the best solution available to them and I'm not worried about bias with the refs they have chosen.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
Karlsson and Kronwall could have stayed silent on the matter. They were in no way obligated to come out in support of the decision.

EK65IsAGod

SensWerePrettyPesky
Jul 31, 2011
Maritimes
The vast majority of hockey officials come from countries and cultures where they are expected to be honest and unbiased and work in a professional manner. It is pretty easy to check which the countries and cultures are that have big problems with corruption and I have to admit I would be a bit concerned in putting officials from those countries in a situation where they may be expected to cheat to help their home team. Since the NHL remains far and away the strongest league in the world I think it is the only place where an official can get the experience they need to referee best on best hockey. The NHL should do more to hire and train referees from outside of North America. If there were a better pool of qualified officials then I would have no problem with having a rule that refs can't work games where their home nation is playing. However given the current situation I think what they are doing is the best solution available to them and I'm not worried about bias with the refs they have chosen.

This x 1000

headup

Apr 7, 2008
It would be kind of stupid to complain about how NHL does things, when they pay your contract. Players always stays neutral to their employer!

Forsberg is pissed, because he has payed against Canada and their referees in a lot of important games. Not least this final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm3MxFAxnUM

Game misconduct? I think not!
Lol chap shot maybe but kicking his head back really sold it.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
This comment says it best...

Maybe Forsberg would prefer the officials used when Sweden 'won' gold over Canada when he was still an amateur. One of the most poorly officiated games of all time -- including a brutal icing call with 1 minute left that directly led to a Swedish goal.

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln