Olympics: American and Canadian refs when USA/CAN are playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
To hell with Team Canada for being good is basically what you're insinuating here.
I dident say that but yeah you guys are a bit overrated tbh:laugh:

to say that hockey is the "dirty" sport out of all the major leagues is beyond ridiculous even IIHL

Bla bla im a butthurted canadian:sarcasm: yes IIHF is a corrupted **** organization, when they decided Edlers suspension correct me if im wrong but wasent it a Canadian who decided how long he would get suspended:sarcasm:? But when your guys doing the same **** there is not even a match penalty:laugh:

modofan

Oct 9, 2009
at this point we will be able to zamboni the ice purely with the tears of Swiss fans in this thread - yea we control the zamboni guy too

They are neutral so perhaps they can solve the problem... :laugh: I haven't seen a lot of them in the thread though...

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
There you have it folks, the NHL & NHLPA have a condition of participating to use their own refs, conspiracy theorists unite! Must suck that even the NHLPA agreed to it, but the fans cannot.

And that's the problem, no other league in any sport has that same influence over an international tournament that is supposed to be for everyone. We are talking about the Olympic Games but yet NHL can set the conditions, they can even decide that they want their referees in the finals because obviously that seem to be very important to them.

It's unheard of in any other sport, it's a ****ing joke!

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
And.. you are saying therefore the CAN refs should have this ref sweep and ref CAN cause there has been three podium sweeps by nations?? Seems logical:sarcasm:

Your whole argument was that this is the Olympics, nations compete against each other blah blah blah, should be the same for the refs. Like I said it's also a competition among individuals from the same nation. Netherlands dominate speed skating and often find a number of competitors at the top of the standing for specific events. 7 of those Canadian referees were thought of as the best of 8 for the job by the IIHF.

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Never knew Sweden was such a cry baby nation. I guarantee if Canadians were so upset by something like this we wouldn't act like spoiled little brats we would simply say oh well let's kick some ass inspite of it.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Has there been any game in this tournament where the referee's have shown Canada bias? Every American and non-Canadian fan that saw the women's Gold Medal Game this year and wanted it to be refereed more professionally. Now we're getting the best professional's in the game yet the Swedes are all pissed off including some of the other non-Canadians. Do we really want some lower level part-time amateur referee that can't keep up with the game calling phantom penalties and ruining the flow of the game?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
In a worst case scenario I prefer an unbiased lesser skilled referee ahead of an biased high skilled ref. The skill of the referee is part of the game.

Can't think of any other sport where this could happen (outside NA that is). It's really strange...

Enough said, hope the game tomorrow will be a memorable one (even with 8 Canadians on the ice...)

You can bold all you want but there is absolutely NOTHING to indicate any official will be biased. In fact, while Canadian refs worked Canadian games during the Olympics, they had the least amount of PPs. While I was just checking to see if Canadian refs worked Canadian games before this, I just noticed that during the US-Canada game in the semi finals, there was a Canadian and US ref working the game with another Canadian linesman. The US was given 3 PPs to Canada's 2. I had absolutely no idea that what their nationalities were before, during or after the game. It was a great game and I'm glad they picked good officials instead of lesser skilled ones because picking sub-par is what ruins games

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Has there been any game in this tournament where the referee's have shown Canada bias? Every American and non-Canadian fan that saw the women's Gold Medal Game this year and wanted it to be refereed more professionally. Now we're getting the best professional's in the game yet the Swedes are all pissed off including some of the other non-Canadians. Do we really want some lower level part-time amateur referee that can't keep up with the game calling phantom penalties and ruining the flow of the game?

Haha the russians wasent that happy about it was an American ref when they jugd the Russian vs USA game:sarcasm:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
And that's the problem, no other league in any sport has that same influence over an international tournament that is supposed to be for everyone. We are talking about the Olympic Games but yet NHL can set the conditions, they can even decide that they want their referees in the finals because obviously that seem to be very important to them.

That's because the NHL wants the games to be called tight. They don't want players to be running around, and getting their players injured, they've openly said that.

Additionally, why is it if a referee is born in a specific country, he's automatically bias in favour of that country? Isn't it possible that a referee can be bias against a country even if he's born in it? There were Canadians openly cheering for USA, so why is that not considered? Maybe on their resume, they should post what their favourite team was when refereeing in the NHL in, and their favourite country when refereeing in International tournaments? :sarcasm:

The game is on the biggest stage there is, if a referee is openly bias, it will definitely show, and then we can discuss it. If there's no bad calls all-game, why are we even debating this? I feel like Sweden is already looking for excuses because they're expecting to lose... If they win, then are the referee's bias? This thread is a joke...

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Your whole argument was that this is the Olympics, nations compete against each other blah blah blah, should be the same for the refs. Like I said it's also a competition among individuals from the same nation. Netherlands dominate speed skating and often find a number of competitors at the top of the standing for specific events. 7 of those Canadian referees were thought of as the best of 8 for the job by the IIHF.
Not in hockey, its a team sport. Only one team per country.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Since this discussion has gone nowhere today I'm just going to write what I wrote earlier.

Of course the players won't say anything about it. They can't allow something like that to make them lose focus. But you can bet your ass there will be a ****storm if Canada wins because of a bad call, which is the entire point of this discussion. It's stupid and unheard of to make that a possibility.
The difference in officiating is not as big as you make it out to be, something we've clearly seen in this tournament. We could go with the US/CAN refs from SWE-FIN game or with Rönn and no one would bat an eye. It's IIHF-rules.
Again: Most of us don't belive the refs will be biased, we just think it's stupid to make a "they had biased refs"-controversy a possibility when it could have been easily avoided. We're not expecting a change, we're just trying to explain to you why it's weird and unprofessional and we don't wish to see it again in the future.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

NHL and NHLPA (50% non-North American) want NHL refs, because they are the best. They don't want to participate in a total gong show. NHL is not run by Canada either, far from it. If there was an advantage to be had, it would go to the US.

I would prefer to have American NHL refs in the final game, for the optics of it, but the refs will not have a biased impact.

There is an issue here of PR, and many are highlighting that. Others are going full-on conspiracy nut-job, and it's comical.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Not in hockey, its a team sport. Only one team per country.

Yes, I established that previously. I'm speaking of the Olympics since you wanted to bring up what the Olympics are abut. Four man bobsled is also a team sport.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I dident say that but yeah you guys are a bit overrated tbh:laugh:

Bla bla im a butthurted canadian:sarcasm: yes IIHF is a corrupted **** organization, when they decided Edlers suspension correct me if im wrong but wasent it a Canadian who decided how long he would get suspended:sarcasm:? But when your guys doing the same **** there is not even a match penalty:laugh:

Yes, I'm sure Canada is terrified of Edler. Should have found a way to take out Alfredsson, Ericsson and Kruger too, those guys sure are superstars. Terrifying.

I assume you have evidence that Canadian refs will help Canada. Once again a challenge: go find evidence, from the 2002, 2010 gold medal games of the Canadian refs helping Canada. Better yet go through this tournament and find evidence of the Canadian refs helping Canada. Please. I'm sure there are loads of instances since you are all so confident.

WeeBey

Aug 7, 2009
montreal
Do you honestly believe that hockey is the better sport (no match-fixing, no doping, no riots) and hockey fans are just all-around better people (generally no low-class fans like in football, right?)? Do you think liking hockey makes you a good person? Or being a good person compelled you to like hockey?

Of course hockey has low class fans. My own team has some of the worst hockey fans in the world.

But yes, I believe that the culture surrounding hockey is much cleaner than that of football. You can point to a couple riots that have happened over the years but nothing like what we see with football hooliganism. And if you could point me to any instance of match fixing in the NHL I'll gladly shut my mouth.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site

No, the NHL wants their refs included in the officials pool for the Olympics. The selection of the officials for the medal games has been posted many times. They were graded and scored by 7 people from the IIHF and the NHL (4 from the IIHF and 3 from the NHL) and those who scored the best, got this game. This happened to be Canadian and American officials.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Yes, I established that previously. I'm speaking of the Olympics since you wanted to bring up what the Olympics are abut. Four man bobsled is also a team sport.
Your point is? A team of eight Canadian refs should be able to ref Team Canada whitout fuzz?

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
2002 Gold medal game. 4 penalties for Canada, 3 for the USA

2010 Gold medal game. 2 penalties for Canada, 2 for the USA

Soooooooo biased OMG corrupt cheating Canada!!!!!!!

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne

No, NHL has a deal with IIHF to have NHL-referees in the big games. It's part of the deal that they were going to allow the players to represent their countries.

Bla, bla, bla, the problem with you americans is that you can't seem to grasp the idea of nations competing with each other on friendly yet emotional basis. You see, most nations in Europe has been at war with each other and against each other, so us competing on a friendly basis actually means a lot to the people even though some doesn't want to admit it. So that's why we want to keep things as clean as possible and this is a time where the game has gotten a dirty stain, it's called "jäv" in swedish and if it were a court-room even though they would be the best there is always a trust-issue which would evolve into that the court would be unjust just because maybe the judges know the family or are involved in the company of some sort.

And this is exactly the case here aswell. And that's the problem, i just want a fair fight without any doubt that something shady has happened. That's why i can't seem to enjoy the 2006 Olympic Gold Medal, because they went away from the thought of the ideals of sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad