Olympics: American and Canadian refs when USA/CAN are playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

EK65IsAGod

SensWerePrettyPesky
Jul 31, 2011
Maritimes
******** and you know it... why dont let american refs ref this game then?:sarcasm:

Or is everyone in NHL from Canada?

Not even in Football this **** would be allowed and i dont think high about Fifa... but IIHF is the worst corupted **** ever

What the **** ever man, there's even been a press release to explain the choices. The officials were deemed to be the best in the tournament, the players don't have any issues with the officials. This is blown out of proportion and just seems like an excuse for a loss that hasn't even happened.

HABS win CUPS*

******** and you know it... why dont let american refs ref this game then?:sarcasm:

Or is everyone in NHL from Canada?

Not even in Football this **** would be allowed and i dont think high about Fifa... but IIHF is the worst corupted **** ever

now IIHL is the most corrupt sports association ever lmao

hockey is about the least corrupted of ALL the majors sports

try to get a grip

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Let me be the first to apologize that not only do Canada have the most talent when it comes to players, they also have the most talent when it comes to referees.

People are acting like Hockey Canada selected the referees. Oh well.
Whit that logic howcome the teams in the finals arent CAN1 vs. CAN2? Reffed whit refs from CAN.. Once again, This is the olympics. Nations compete against eachother No matter how many more talents or pros one country have over the other. Goes for refs too

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
You mean Canadian hockey culture? :help:

I don't see that big a difference between Swedish football and hockey culture.

seriously do you compare Swedish football vs Swedish hockey? last time i went to Aik Djurgården on Football there was 36k on Råsunda i don't think all the teams in SHL togheter gather that much people:laugh:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
There was no issues with the refs in yesterdays Canada=US game or in the Finland -US game today...but Canadian and American officials should not be reffing their countries game.... it's in bad taste and opens the door to corruption.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Whit that logic howcome the teams in the finals arent CAN1 vs. CAN2? Reffed whit refs from CAN.. Once again, This is the olympics. Nations compete against eachother No matter how many more talents or pros one country have over the other. Goes for refs too

Well in this event there is only one competitor per nation. As for others, some have several, and sometimes they happen to make up the top group. How many podium sweeps have there been so far? At least 3. Have you watched any speed skating events? There was a lot of competition among Dutch speed skaters.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
What the **** ever man, there's even been a press release to explain the choices. The officials were deemed to be the best in the tournament, the players don't have any issues with the officials. This is blown out of proportion and just seems like an excuse for a loss that hasn't even happened.

Like i said IIHF is ********, and this pick of ref team aswell:shakehead

now IIHL is the most corrupt sports association ever lmao

hockey is about the least corrupted of ALL the majors sports

try to get a grip

Haha you must be drunk or something ofc "hockey" isent corrupted when it favors team Canada all the time:sarcasm:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
There was no issues with the refs in yesterdays Canada=US game or in the Finland -US game today...but Canadian and American officials should not be reffing their countries game.... it's in bad taste and opens the door to corruption.

For the NHL to agree to go to the Olympics it was agreed only NHL referees would be used.

EK65IsAGod

SensWerePrettyPesky
Jul 31, 2011
Maritimes
So a best on best final should be reffed by officials who are used to reffing in leagues where the pace is equal or worst to the AHL. Do people really want the refs calling random **** they didn't see because they were behind the play or what.

58b60830d26ef5b1f63fd4edb732fe5c220cba41465f207836d5bf861c5ece40.jpg

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I will never understand the argument that in a a matchup between NHL All Star team A and NHL All Star team B why people wouldn't want officiating to keep pace.

Uno Bench

Swedish citizen
Mar 7, 2012
Well in this event there is only one competitor per nation. As for others, some have several, and sometimes they happen to make up the top group. How many podium sweeps have there been so far? At least 3. Have you watched any speed skating events? There was a lot of competition among Dutch speed skaters.
And.. you are saying therefore the CAN refs should have this ref sweep and ref CAN cause there has been three podium sweeps by nations?? Seems logical:sarcasm:

modofan

Oct 9, 2009
It's the GOLD MEDAL GAME. The game to decide the best. Two of the best teams in the world and the IOC wants the best refs in the world. These were determined, through the tournament, as the best. They were scored and judged throughout. Why would you want sub-par officials because of some irrational fear.

In a worst case scenario I prefer an unbiased lesser skilled referee ahead of an biased high skilled ref. The skill of the referee is part of the game.

Can't think of any other sport where this could happen (outside NA that is). It's really strange...

Enough said, hope the game tomorrow will be a memorable one (even with 8 Canadians on the ice...)

HABS win CUPS*

Like i said IIHF is ********, and this pick of ref team aswell:shakehead

Haha you must be drunk or something ofc "hockey" isent corrupted when it favors team Canada all the time:sarcasm:

to say that hockey is the "dirty" sport out of all the major leagues is beyond ridiculous even IIHL

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Not all Swedes are seemingly as upset as Forsberg.

Veteran Swedish defenceman Niklas Kronwall of the Detroit Red Wings believes that both teams can benefit from North American officials.

"We are used to having referees from USA and Canada in the NHL," said Kronwall. "We know their standards so I think it's easier for us too if the referees are from there."

Former Norris Trophy winner and Ottawa Senators standout Erik Karlsson agreed with his fellow blueliner.

"I think most referees over there [in the National Hockey League] are Canadian, too," said Karlsson. "They probably support Montreal or Toronto, but they don't make any difference there. I couldn't care less about what the referees do. As you saw yesterday, we had two power plays, Finland had a lot, and we still won the game. It's nothing we can control and neither can Canada."

Players don't have issues with it.....

HABS win CUPS*

In a worst case scenario I prefer an unbiased lesser skilled referee ahead of an biased high skilled ref. The skill of the referee is part of the game.

Can't think of any other sport where this could happen (outside NA that is). It's really strange...

Enough said, hope the game tomorrow will be a memorable one (even with 8 Canadians on the ice...)

at this point we will be able to zamboni the ice purely with the tears of Swiss fans in this thread - yea we control the zamboni guy too

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013

Enough said, hope the game tomorrow will be a memorable one.

Give us an example of the refs actually being biased. Just because they are Canadian doesn't mean they are biased towards Canada.

I've never seen such a whiny nation as I'm seeing here with Sweden. My god.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
I don't know why people are pointing at FIFA as if it is something that should be followed. There have been incredibly incompetent referees in the World Cup, they almost singlehandedly took the US out of the round of 16 in South Africa. If the NHL is going to continue to participate in the Olympics, they need to use NHL referees.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Not all Swedes are seemingly as upset as Forsberg.

Veteran Swedish defenceman Niklas Kronwall of the Detroit Red Wings believes that both teams can benefit from North American officials.

"We are used to having referees from USA and Canada in the NHL," said Kronwall. "We know their standards so I think it's easier for us too if the referees are from there."

Former Norris Trophy winner and Ottawa Senators standout Erik Karlsson agreed with his fellow blueliner.

"I think most referees over there [in the National Hockey League] are Canadian, too," said Karlsson. "They probably support Montreal or Toronto, but they don't make any difference there. I couldn't care less about what the referees do. As you saw yesterday, we had two power plays, Finland had a lot, and we still won the game. It's nothing we can control and neither can Canada."

Players don't have issues with it.....

But they are also under contract with NHL-clubs and will be playing the game and therefore has something to lose by saying something wrong.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Of what I have seen from NHL refs in the past they often over compensate to ensure they are not viewed as being biased. In any case we'll see how many pp's cananda gets in the game conisering that last I heard they were near last in the number of pp's they have had in the tourney.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Not sure if this has been posted, but...

Dave Feschuk ‏@dfeschuk 7h

3 of 4 officials for the gold-medal game are CDN, the 4th is Calgarian. Peter Forsberg calls it "a (bleeping) joke."

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 7h

Swedish media were asking a few Canadian players about it today. Annnnnnnd they weren't biting.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 6h

It is also -- I believe -- the NHL and NHLPA's wish to have NHL refs in the big games. Was told by IIHF it is a condition of participation

There you have it folks, the NHL & NHLPA have a condition of participating to use their own refs, conspiracy theorists unite! Must suck that even the NHLPA agreed to it, but the fans cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad