Alzner: Petry's most reliable partner ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Not sure they'd be top pairing in the AHL the way they're both playing

Reactions: Peanut

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Yeah but Alzner was bad before he got here. Not this bad, but not great. Terrible signing no matter how you look at it.

Would have been ok as a bottom pairing D, not mid. This was known but people still somehow expected more after a few preseason games. Reality is catching up.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Would have been ok as a bottom pairing D, not mid. This was known but people still somehow expected more after a few preseason games. Reality is catching up.

Agree. "Terrible" signing may be too harsh. Really not good given the term and $$ involved. There's no way he and the other D can continue to be so inept, is there?

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
Agree. "Terrible" signing may be too harsh. Really not good given the term and $$ involved. There's no way he and the other D can continue to be so inept, is there?

Well, in his case, yes. I hate to say I (and others) told you so, but many of us were furious at his signing over the summer. Others argued he was a steady, stay at home D that can "eat a ton of minutes". It's clear that's how MB felt and he was dead wrong. This was a horrible, horrible signing and it should have been clear to any GM with half a brain.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Define reliable ?

He's definitely consistent. His first pass and slow reaction time consistently kill transition.

But really, he mostly plays like a bottom pairing guy, paid 4M. Crazy to think we've invested half a decade on this guy. The same half decade we'll see Shaw earn the same. 8M$ a year for those two for those 5 years. But Price is overpaid....

Here's a thought, if you're going for these types of players, you can get a Schlemko for a 5th to play on your bottom pair. Oh wait... That's who Marc BergEinstein has playing on the first pairing...

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
The most reliably awful pairing...I don't know what Bergevin was thinking.

You see speed and skill dominates the NHL, you react to that by signing Pickle Rick to a 5 year deal and trade for Weber...

When they acquired Drouin I thought maybe there was hope but even then they are messing up by putting him at C when he is clearly a winger. His game is suited for the LW you always see him going along the boards and spinning back. Shades of Samsonov :sarcasm:.

This team needs to find a way to get a good center and play Drouin on the wing so we can have a legit 1st line. When I say legit I mean that other teams dread playing against. Any other scenario is not pretty, might as well rip off the bandaid and rebuild.

Last edited:

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Thank God we did not trade say two high/mid second round picks to get him before giving him a ridiculous contract :sarcasm:

I'd argue we Protected Benn (!) then traded Emelin, Markov and Beaulieu for a 3rd round pick before giving Alzner a ridiculous UFA contract. SOLID asset management.

Reactions: Habset

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Petry is just not that good since his back injury. People should watch the games imo. Last year he was almost as bad as Beaulieu defensively.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'd argue we Protected Benn (!) then traded Emelin, Markov and Beaulieu for a 3rd round pick before giving Alzner a ridiculous UFA contract. SOLID asset management.

Definitely one of the biggest mistake i've seen by a GM ever. Losing Emelin, Beaulieu and Markov for a mere 3rd round pick while retaining Benn got to be one of the 20 worst moves a GM ever did in Montreal.

And it's not like i say this with hindsight. I said it all summer long. Even before he protected Benn i called it a mistake.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Petry is just not that good since his back injury. People should watch the games imo. Last year he was almost as bad as Beaulieu defensively.

After this year, his contract becomes a limited NTC. We might be able to move him after. Sadly for Alzner, he may lose his most solid partner ever.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Definitely one of the biggest mistake i've seen by a GM ever. Losing Emelin, Beaulieu and Markov for a mere 3rd round pick while retaining Benn got to be one of the 20 worst moves a GM ever did in Montreal.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, back up back up.

Those are all D.I.F.F.E.R.E.N.T. moves with no relation, whatsoever. So DON'T lump them together, because. Got it ?

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
You know, in a round about way, OP was actually right. Alzner and Petry have been reliably awful. When in doubt Petry and Alzner will be bad. Good job OP. :laugh:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Even if we are only 3 games in I'm going to call because clearly, the small hope that everything would magically work out for the best won't happen, he can't be paired with Weber and he isn't doing great with Petry... so that mean we are paying 4.65M$ for the next 5 years to a guy that can't play in our top 4. We would have been better off signing Markov for 2 year or keep Emelin or Beaulieu...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Alzner has been fine but he has not been the spark I wanted him to be for Petry (not yet anyways). I think we made a mistake by protecting Benn over Beaulieu. That move was not one I supported. If we kept Beaulieu, we had more leverage to negotiate with Alzner because of our LD depth and we probably could of got him for cheaper and less term.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
1xg0oy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad