Alzner: Petry's most reliable partner ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
We should bring back Gilbert. His analytics were off the charts good. :sarcasm:

On the 3rd pairing? Sure. On another pairing? They weren't. And if I recall correctly, Gilbert was sign for two years with an AAV of 2.8. Not 5 at over 4.5.

Basically, Gilbert was a good 3rd pair guy that couldn't really play higher in the lineup without being destroyed and Alzner is a guy that plays top-4 minutes against top competition and is mostly destroyed in those minutes.

Reactions: Peanut

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
Petry will have a career year.

I agree, petry has had to play with emelin, beaulieu more junk etc...having a rock solid steady Defensive guy will allow petry to be a better player, a more offensive player because he wont have to worry about covering for him....its a great signing and i love what ive seen so far very excited for this season.:yo:

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I like Alzner, but I have to admit I also like Gorges, or Gill type of defensemen. Those are guys you hold a lead with. People are high on PMDs these days but in the last minutes of a game when you lead by 1 these guys are the most reliable. When you are trailing this is another story. So, ideally you need both, no matter what the fancy stats are going to say. Also, it's funny how the analytics crowd tried to make HF readers believe that Alzner couldn't even make passes or skate, the way they are bashing him relentlessly. He's a Shea Weber for our second pairing and MB believes that with this signing he solidified his defense's defensive play, and he's right in that regard. I like having Weber, Alzner or Benn on the ice at all times at ES. They are tough to play against.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He looked fine. He also isn't bad at moving the puck. Which doesn't come as a surprise to me. He's a fine #4D.

He's not slow at all. He looked faster than Petry, mind you it was preseason. But ya, he's healthy and can skate well for his size.

I finally was able to watch the game after being so busy the last few games (recorded the game). I agree. Alzner looked very good and I think he actually played better than Petry (in that game anyways). We can wait to see a bigger sample size but his first game was good.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like Alzner, but I have to admit I also like Gorges, or Gill type of defensemen. Those are guys you hold a lead with. People are high on PMDs these days but in the last minutes of a game when you lead by 1 these guys are the most reliable. When you are trailing this is another story. So, ideally you need both, no matter what the fancy stats are going to say.

I agree with your assessment. The problem is we lost Markov and gained Alzner. People want to put more value on the PMD vs the stay at home guy in this case. Alzner is younger, cheaper, and will be tougher to play against (defensibly). Markov will be 39 come 2018 playoffs.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Louis Jean apparently did a report on Alzner. He mentioned that Holtby called him the smartest defenseman he's ever played with.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I think will be a steading force on the backend providing solid minutes.
Im not putting alot of stock into the analytics (esp last year) Washington has always leaned on him for big minutes, until injured. And Im sure they look at analytics.
If he is over that injury completely hell give the team as positive an effect on the outcome of games as Markov would have (Id guess more as well, but obviously contributing in a different way)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I hear he uses his jedi mind trick to open them

p317553b.jpg

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
In the sense that Alzner has no business being on the ice against top opposition and Petry feasts on weak opposition, sure.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
In the sense that Alzner has no business being on the ice against top opposition and Petry feasts on weak opposition, sure.

Would it be bad to buy out a contract you just inked 3 months earlier? That's the only way to get rid of him at this point. Nobody else in the league is stoopid enough to trade for that contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad