Alzner: Petry's most reliable partner ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Now that camp has started, what are your thoughts about Alzner and what he provides for us? I'm sure people are watching him closely. He seems to be a good fit for Petry but let's see how these two play together.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He's finally going to have a steady partner and he can join the rush more. I'm thinking and hoping your right!

Petry to me is a good puck mover despite sometimes making some really poor defensive decisions. I do think though some of the bashing he gets for these mistakes are unwarranted as he's had to carry boat anchors around last season.

I think based on what I've seen and know about Alzner, having some security back there will allow Petry to play his game. We certainly could use some more offensive production from him.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I doubt Alzner can make Petry look any better or worse than he makes himself look on a game to game basis. Guy can be one of the better players on the ice and then be the worst the next night.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry to me is a good puck mover despite sometimes making some really poor defensive decisions. I do think though some of the bashing he gets for these mistakes are unwarranted as he's had to carry boat anchors around last season.

I think based on what I've seen and know about Alzner, having some security back there will allow Petry to play his game. We certainly could use some more offensive production from him.

No more excuse for Petry though. We will find out what he is really capable of on offense with a guy like Alzner playing the last man back all the time. The Petry/Alzner pairing is a very important one for us this year IMO.

Reactions: Peanut

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I said this the second we got Alzner. He and Petry have everything you need for a successful pairing. If Petry can't put it together this year and have a consistent and productive year, trade him and go after a Trouba type player.

Otherwise, I hope to see a solid second pairing that can eat up 20+ min a night and add some offence. Now if only we could get Weber a partner, we'd be in excellent shape!

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
Alzner would've complimented Subban very well, so I think he should compliment Petry as well, since they are both mobile Ds that likes to make offensive plays. If MB is somehow able to find a LD version of Petry and plug him next to Weber, then we're talking.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I doubt he'll be more reliable than Markov. Also, they haven't played a single regular season game together, so lets not jump to conclusions based on nothing more than hope.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Alzner would've complimented Subban very well, so I think he should compliment Petry as well, since they are both mobile Ds that likes to make offensive plays. If MB is somehow able to find a LD version of Petry and plug him next to Weber, then we're talking.

Eh, the huge difference being that Alzner ideally shouldn't play the kind of minutes you give to a player like PK Subban.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Eh, the huge difference being that Alzner ideally shouldn't play the kind of minutes you give to a player like PK Subban.

He does play those minutes though. He really shouldn't be playing the kind of minutes you give a player like Petry either, but he does that as well.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015

Yeah that's true though. I guess he really does fit better as a Petry partner then, since he'll also be getting top-4 minutes instead of top pairing minutes. I didn't like the signing (especially at the expense of losing Radulov and Markov), but I hope it works out and that we get a good D-pairing out of Alzner and Petry. Once again, we just need to find a Top 2 LHD...should be easy right? :help:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Now that camp has started, what are your thoughts about Alzner and what he provides for us? I'm sure people are watching him closely. He seems to be a good fit for Petry but let's see how these two play together.

Whether Alzner plays alongside Weber or Petry, expect their +/- to improve, Carey Price having a Big Three in front of him, should ease his load. Alzner's shot blocking prowess will become abundantly apparent, when witnessed by Habs fans that appreciate the finer aspects of the game!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
Nobody knows if his groin injury will permanently affect his skating. So nobody knows how effective he will be. Could be anywhere from a #4 to a #7. I love how the champions of 'wait and see' are ready to make proclamations like this before the season starts.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Whether Alzner plays alongside Weber or Petry, expect their +/- to improve, Carey Price having a Big Three in front of him, should ease his load. Alzner's shot blocking prowess will become abundantly apparent, when witnessed by Habs fans that appreciate the finer aspects of the game!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

We see it the same. I think we are going to be a very difficult team to score against and this is our best strategy. We have some solid guys on the back end for sure and we will not be overpowered no longer!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nobody knows if his groin injury will permanently affect his skating. So nobody knows how effective he will be. Could be anywhere from a #4 to a #7. I love how the champions of 'wait and see' are ready to make proclamations like this before the season starts.

Don't you think we would know he would be a #7 after his injury already? He did play 82 games for the best defense team in the NHL last year you know? Sounds like a "Radulov can be our next Semin" to me type comment that was made last year.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I've saying since July that Alzner would be the perfect fit for Petry. It seems that Julien listened to what I had to say. ;-)

Seriously, if this team had a younger Streit, or a older Mete, we wouldn't be here wondering who would be playing with Webre this year. Cause the Alzner-Petry pairing is perfect to me on paper... and we'll soon know if it,s also the case on ice.

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
Don't you think we would know he would be a #7 after his injury already? He did play 82 games for the best defense team in the NHL last year you know? Sounds like a "Radulov can be our next Semin" to me type comment that was made last year.

Yes, he did play 82 games for Washington last year. He also had some of the worst metrics on the team. Dragged down his partners. After he was scratched in the playoffs, their shot suppression numbers improved significantly.

I don't know how much he was able to recover over the summer, so I won't speculate too much about his likely impact this year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes, he did play 82 games for Washington last year. He also had some of the worst metrics on the team. Dragged down his partners. After he was scratched in the playoffs, their shot suppression numbers improved significantly.

I don't know how much he was able to recover over the summer, so I won't speculate too much about his likely impact this year.

He's going to be fine if we don't expect too much offensively from him. He's certainly not a #7D. He's a top 4D. Alzner himself said he was not at his best last year and you are correct with some of your concerns. However, Is he going to be less effective than what Emelin or Beaulieu were last year for us? I doubt it. Alzner was brought in for his reliability and that's what he's going to provide. We got him from age 29 to 33 I believe at $4.625M. It wasn't a terrible signing and he's going to help Petry IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->