All Things AHL Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Just in case there was still any doubt about where the new Blues AHL team will be located, in his chat yesterday JR refused to name the city but did say any fans going down there could enjoy an NBA game, get some fresh tortilla chips, and enjoy a scenic walk. Kinda screams San Antonio. :laugh:

I like the potential move to SA. The amenities at the AT&T center are really nice and if the rampage is granted access to the Spurs practice facility, the gym there is really freaking nice.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Just in case there was still any doubt about where the new Blues AHL team will be located, in his chat yesterday JR refused to name the city but did say any fans going down there could enjoy an NBA game, get some fresh tortilla chips, and enjoy a scenic walk. Kinda screams San Antonio. :laugh:

I went and just read his chat. Very interesting. Here are the questions and JR's answers.

Anything new you can tell us on who may be the Blues AHL affiliate in 2018-19? You said "soon" last week. Still waiting, lol! And if u still can't divulge it, can you say about when we the fans should know?

The Blues, as I've reported before, will have their own affiliate in 2018-19. I know that it will be an AHL franchise that is already established, not the expansion team. I thought there might be an announcement by now, but while plans are in place, they are still finalizing things behind the scenes. I would think we'd hear something in the next month.

Thanks for answering my AHL question! One follow up though - if I were to visit this new AHL affiliate's location, could I visit the Alamo on the same trip?

I don't know about that, but I know you would probably be able to watch some NBA, eat some crispy Tortilla chips and go for a long, scenic walk.

So yeah, sounds like San Antonio. Anyone get the reference to the long, scenic walk though? I'm not too familiar with San Antonio.

But cities that have an established AHL team and an NBA team has to be a pretty short list. San Antonio, Phoenix/Tucson, Charlotte and Cleveland. Am I missing any? Phoenix/Tucson seems unlikely since the Coyotes just recently brought their affiliate to Tucson. And I certainly don't think tortilla chips when I think of Charlotte or Cleveland.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
San Antonio Riverwalk is what he is referring to, if I had to guess. Fun experience no doubt.

Well, even more support for it being San Antonio then.

Unless JR is being cute and it ends up being Cleveland and he says there's a nice walking trail there and how the Taco Bells there have excellent tortilla chips. :laugh:

/s

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
I like the potential move to SA. The amenities at the AT&T center are really nice and if the rampage is granted access to the Spurs practice facility, the gym there is really freaking nice.

The Rampage have their own practice facility on the north side of town that they dumped a couple million into last offseason. The ice is terrible, but the facilities are top notch according to the players and coaches.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Haha, I have a week of vacation scheduled in San Antonio next month. I'll scope out the Riverwalk. I'd love to have a reason to go spend a weekend there a few times a year and enjoy some AHL hockey.

Old Blueser

Jan 28, 2012
It's gotta be San Antonio with its Riverwalk. I was stationed at Fort Sam Houston for a while and have been there many times.

I even fell in once.

Ha, and you weren't devoured by the begging fish? Eating at a restaurant on that river is a weird experience

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I don't disagree here. Bleackley shone in Kansas City last season, he was probably their best forward while he was there. Any ECHL team would be lucky to get him. Selman hardly played, so he fits in the ECHL too. MacEachern could probably stand to get some time down there as well; it wouldn't hurt anyways.

That still leaves Blais, Sanford, Thompson, Kostin, Megan and Musil needing spots in the AHL. Splitting them between SAR and CHI half-and-half could work, as there appears to be 6 spots available between the two teams (although whether they are the right spots positionally is a different question).

The real difficulty is going to come at defense. CHI has 2 spots open, 1 at LD and 1 at RD. SAR has two RD spots open (conceptually). However, SAR has six LHD on their roster, and Vegas has three guys on their pro roster with no spots, meaning that they might try to put a guy like Jon Merrill through waivers, or trade Sbisa/Stoner for some help elsewhere (which could push one of our guys out). We have potentially 4 LHD needing AHL spots in Walman, Dunn, Butler, and Lindbohm. One or two of those guys could grab NHL spots potentially, and Butler played most of last season on the right side, I think. All the same, LHD is a position of great depth for both the Wolves and the Rampage, and so for guys like Lindbohm and Butler who are likely to spend most of their time in the AHL next season, it's clearly less than ideal. Potentially the Avalanche call up Bigras or Warsofsky as full-timers next season, but even if both of them get the call San Antonio still has 4 LHD on their roster. It's a tight fit.

As for the goalie situation, if Husso goes to SAR, it's pretty clear he'll be splitting time with Spencer Martin, who started 50 games last season. They also have Joe Cannata, who is an AHL/ECHL tweener at best, and the Eagles used 8 goalies last season so he would at least add some stability there if that's where they want him to go. Regardless, if they want Martin to stay at that 50-game level, that leaves ~30 starts for Husso, or about what he started last year between Kansas City and Chicago. For reference, in Allen's 1st 3 years in the AHL, he started 47, 38, and 35 games, before jumping up to 52 in his 4th and final year. Of all of the scenarios for our prospects, Husso might actually be going into the best situation. God knows where Binnington ends up, or how many games he might start. If it's San Antonio and he has to "take starts" from Husso, it probably won't be good for anyone, and same goes for Chicago, although at least in Chicago he could send Lagace (who sucks) down to Quad Cities with good play. Competing with Dansk could be good for him.

It's hard to say what Avs are thinking right now. We only have 12 Dmen for both teams though. It would be nice to know the details of the AHL sharing process. I'm thinking we are done signing guys, and we will look something like this top to bottom:

Ghetto - MacK - Rantanen
Lando - Duchene - Yakupov
Wilson - Jost - Compher
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
Colborne

Greer - _____ - Grimaldi
Agozzino - _____ - ____
Nantel - Beaudin - Bourque
Vogelhuber - Girard - Petryk (none are important prospects, so potentially 3 more spots for you guys, making it a 50/50 split)

Zadorov - EJ
Lindholm - Barrie
Bigras - Mironov
Barberio, Siemens

______ - _______
Warsofsky - Meloche
Geertsen - Boikov (ideally we want both developing in the AHL, but again, if it's a 50/50 split then one will go down)

Varly
Bernier

Martin
(Husso)
Cannata (ECHL)

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I cheerfully admit to being an old fart and being ignorant of today's language, so what does that mean? Is it a good thing or bad?

GOAT = Greatest Of All Time

I've never been to this riverwalk nor the mariachi along the riverwalk but it must be pretty freaking amazing to be "the GOAT"!

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
As a resident of this fine burgh, I offer the following hot taek:

The Riverwalk is one of the most overrated attractions in the US. Go once, walk around for an hour and call it a day. If this affiliation happens, and anyone comes down for a game, let me know. I'll tell you all about the hundreds of badass things SA has to offer not named the Riverwalk.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I replied this morning on my mobile device, but it apparently did not work.

The Riverwalk is, indeed, overrated. It is not very long and ends at the beginning of a shopping mall. But at least one end has the Alamo.

Is that hologram store still there on Commerce? That place is bad ass.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm curious to see who you guys send to the rampage, because there could be some talented avs kids there for them to play with if no Duchene trade occurs; which would mean that Greer and maybe Jost would start the year in the AHL. With Meloche, Beaudin, Martin and maybe Bigras there; as well as the AHL vets like Grimaldi, Girard, Agozzino, Siemens and Warofsky; the team has some nice pieces if you guys send a few of your stronger prospects as well.

...would love to see Kostin on a line with Greer & Jost (if there) or Grimaldi / Beaudin (if Jost starts in the NHL)...

I know shared AHL teams rarely work well; but that team could be a lot more interesting to follow this coming season.

So have you guys heard any word on who's likely to be sent to SA other than Husso?

It's hard to say what Avs are thinking right now. We only have 12 Dmen for both teams though. It would be nice to know the details of the AHL sharing process. I'm thinking we are done signing guys, and we will look something like this top to bottom:

Ghetto - MacK - Rantanen
Lando - Duchene - Yakupov
Wilson - Jost - Compher
Nieto - Soderberg - Comeau
Colborne

Greer - _____ - Grimaldi
Agozzino - _____ - ____
Nantel - Beaudin - Bourque
Vogelhuber - Girard - Petryk (none are important prospects, so potentially 3 more spots for you guys, making it a 50/50 split)

Zadorov - EJ
Lindholm - Barrie
Bigras - Mironov
Barberio, Siemens

______ - _______
Warsofsky - Meloche
Geertsen - Boikov (ideally we want both developing in the AHL, but again, if it's a 50/50 split then one will go down)

Varly
Bernier

Martin
(Husso)
Cannata (ECHL)

One of Siemens / Lindholm / Bigras will likely be in the AHL. I see that being Siemens or Lindholm; hopefully next to Meloche so that his offensive game isn't neutered...someone else can clean up for Warsofsky; as its sink or swim time for Bigras in the NHL.

Up front I still think Jost needs a few months in the AHL of getting used to manstrength and whatever muscle he puts on this summer...though TV's right that the organization has been hyping him like they plan on him being a full-time NHLer next season.

Martin / Husso should split starts pretty evenly; unless we have an agreement that Martin gets the majority of the starts.

Also think you're underestimating Girard. He's not an NHL prospect; but he's a great two way player at that level and was producing for Veilleux. Unless STL sends us a strong C prospect or Jost is down there I expect Grimaldi / Girard to be the top centers for the rampage...with Beaudin getting eased up the lineup over the course of the year.

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Based on StayAtHomeAv's roster template, this is what I envision:

Greer-Sanford-Grimaldi
Agozzino-Thompson-Kostin
Nantel-Girard-Bourque
Vogelhuber-Beaudin-Petryk

Walman-Meloche
Warsofsky-Boikov
Geertsen-Vannelli/Siemens

Martin-Husso

That top six is relatively interchangeable, but solid all around. So, in this scenario the Blues are sending Thompson, Kostin, Sanford, Walman, Vannelli, and Husso. That's 3 of our top forward prospects, arguably our top defensive prospect, definitively our best goalie prospect, and then Vannelli who honestly is probably going to wind up in the ECHL again. That works out relatively well, as I'm wanting to keep most of our top-tier guys together as much as possible, as opposed to splitting them between SA or Chicago.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It's difficult to speculate on who we could send there, because it's going to depend on the respective agreements.

We have an agreement with the Wolves & Vegas, which will likely just be the number of players that they will take and then the Wolves will do whatever is best for them. The Wolves want to win, and I am confident they won't show any favouritism to Vegas prospects with regard to ice time.

With San Antonio, I am not sure we would get the same kind of agreement. I think we'll be sending players that fit specific areas of roster weakness so they get ice time and aren't taking it away from the other teams prospects. The obvious one was Husso because the goalie situation in San Antonio isn't very pretty, but beyond that I don't know what the roster needs are.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't know much about Walman, what's his game like? Cause I really want to see Meloche paired witha more stay at home type of guy so that he has to use his skills and can't be pidgeon-holed into just a shutdown dman...because he can play that game very well. That's why I'm totally on board with him partnering a no offense guy who's great defensively, like Siemens or Lindholm. Is Walman a dude who likes to skate with the puck and be the one to break the team out? If so might be best to split them up; with Warsofsky on the third pairing so that there's a PMD out there at all times. I know it's the AHL and EV blends the pairings just like everyone else has to at that level; but I can get on board with something like:

Walman - Lindholm
Boikov - Meloche
Warsofsky/Geertsen - Warsofsky/Vanelli

As that forward core looks very solid on paper even without Jost...though I'll continue to hope that's where he starts the year and gets to gel with Greer like Compher did last year...and I'd hope we get to see a Greer - Grimaldi - Kostin line, because that would be too much fun in the AHL, but again AHL-line-blender'ing. Regardless of the specific line combos, that looks like a legit top 6. One that may even fit the system in a way that ahl stars like Sislo & Whitney absolutely failed to do last season. And I'd have no concerns with any combination of those bottom 6ers out there against even the top AHL scoring lines. Hopefully the competition is good for both Martin & Husso, and there's no goalie injuries that force that duo to be broken up. Cause that team looks like it could give the people of SA a reason to show up every game if Walman & Meloche can shine on that defense and the talent actually delivers this go-around.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Is Walman a dude who likes to skate with the puck and be the one to break the team out?

So you've read his scouting report. Walman is very much that type of dude. He is an offensive defenseman. He has improved his defense the past year in college, but offense and skating with the puck (skating in general really) are his best skills right now.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I don't know much about Walman, what's his game like? Cause I really want to see Meloche paired witha more stay at home type of guy so that he has to use his skills and can't be pidgeon-holed into just a shutdown dman...because he can play that game very well. That's why I'm totally on board with him partnering a no offense guy who's great defensively, like Siemens or Lindholm. Is Walman a dude who likes to skate with the puck and be the one to break the team out? If so might be best to split them up; with Warsofsky on the third pairing so that there's a PMD out there at all times. I know it's the AHL and EV blends the pairings just like everyone else has to at that level; but I can get on board with something like:

Walman - Lindholm
Boikov - Meloche
Warsofsky/Geertsen - Warsofsky/Vanelli

As that forward core looks very solid on paper even without Jost...though I'll continue to hope that's where he starts the year and gets to gel with Greer like Compher did last year...and I'd hope we get to see a Greer - Grimaldi - Kostin line, because that would be too much fun in the AHL, but again AHL-line-blender'ing. Regardless of the specific line combos, that looks like a legit top 6. One that may even fit the system in a way that ahl stars like Sislo & Whitney absolutely failed to do last season. And I'd have no concerns with any combination of those bottom 6ers out there against even the top AHL scoring lines. Hopefully the competition is good for both Martin & Husso, and there's no goalie injuries that force that duo to be broken up. Cause that team looks like it could give the people of SA a reason to show up every game if Walman & Meloche can shine on that defense and the talent actually delivers this go-around.

Yeah Walman is a PMD through and through. Strong skater, great breakout game, heavy shot. He can play physical too, but PMD is definitely where his strength lies. So, yeah, breaking up him, Meloche and Warsofsky would make sense.

I'm witholding my excitement until any of this actually materializes, but I agree that lineup would be formidable. I really hope that the Blues see the value in loading up one team with the top guys instead of splitting them apart, especially is San Antonio has the space for them in the top 6.

In an ideal world, Musil and Blais could join the other forwards on the same team, but it isn't an ideal world. Musil can play in the bottom 6 in Chicago and be just fine. Megan and Blais have enough experience/success in Chicago that they'll be fine duking it out for top-6 spots. MacEachern and Bleackley will likely end up being extra forwads or ECHLers. Sergeev, Selman, and Vannelli probably share that fate as well. It's not ideal, but it's what we've got to do, I guess.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I feel it may be a little premature putting together Rampage lines with a mix of Avs and Blues prospects as we currently have no idea who or how many Blues prospects may even get sent to SA. Then again, it's summer, so I guess it's simply something to occupy time but personally, seems to be mostly an exercise in futility.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I feel it may be a little premature putting together Rampage lines with a mix of Avs and Blues prospects as we currently have no idea who or how many Blues prospects may even get sent to SA. Then again, it's summer, so I guess it's simply something to occupy time but personally, seems to be mostly an exercise in futility.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad