Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Bleackley sent to Missouri

Wolves in 20170-18

Agostino-Barbashev-Thompson
Sanford-Megan-Rattie
Blais-Gawdin-Aggozino
MacEachern-Musil-Doty

(I know it's early - but they do call it Hockey's Future)

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Remember when folks thought Bleackley had a good shot of making the Blues out of camp? Good times.

I didn't have high hopes for Bleackley but I did expect him to be able to hold down a 3rd line AHL job. 2 goals in 44 games for the Wolves? Yikes. I know points aren't everything but the few Wolves games I've seen he's looked slow and behind the play a bit.

3 assists in his 1 ECHL game so far so that's good at least but I think that knee injury he had a couple years ago completely derailed his career.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
If you watch Bleackley's draft videos, he was the complete package. He was fast, physical, his shot was truly lethal, he was a leader (named Captain in his draft year by the typically unsentimental Sutter), he had everything going for him. Who knows what happened to him, maybe the pressure got to him, but his training fell off a steep cliff (evidenced by Roy banishing him from CO's training camp for being too fat), which probably led to the beginning of his injury problems. The knee injury slowed him down. Getting his wrist stepped on by a skate blade ruined his wrist shot. The reports I heard from Bill Armstrong after we took him in the 5th (which I still maintain was a good gamble to take) made me think he had started to regain his old form, that he had turned a corner. In all likelihood, he won't reach the potential he once had and that is a true shame, because like I said, he had a very bright future. Who knows, maybe some ECHL time will benefit him. 3 assists on a team you've never even seen before is pretty good.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Remember when folks thought Bleackley had a good shot of making the Blues out of camp? Good times.

I didn't have high hopes for Bleackley but I did expect him to be able to hold down a 3rd line AHL job. 2 goals in 44 games for the Wolves? Yikes. I know points aren't everything but the few Wolves games I've seen he's looked slow and behind the play a bit.

3 assists in his 1 ECHL game so far so that's good at least but I think that knee injury he had a couple years ago completely derailed his career.

He's just been a ghost(so far) at the AHL level. I don't watch the Mavs as often as I should so idk what changed his lone game with them but yea, this has been a terrible season for him.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I didn't mind the Bleackley pick but i also didn't expect much from him. There's a reason both the Avs and Yotes had no intention of signing him and would rather have accepted a 2nd round pick instead.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
IIRC he was viewed as one of the safer 1st rounders in 2014. Thought to have a relatively high floor due to his two-way game. I'm fine using a 5th round pick on him, but he's quite clearly going nowhere near the NHL.

Speaking of guys whose careers are falling off a cliff, Ty Rattie hasn't scored since being sent down to the AHL and has just 1 assist in 9 games. He scored 31 goals as an undersized rookie in that league. I feel like he's just given up and is looking forward to playing in Europe next season.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I didn't mind the Bleackley pick but i also didn't expect much from him. There's a reason both the Avs and Yotes had no intention of signing him and would rather have accepted a 2nd round pick instead.

Clearly, based on his lack of speed and aggressiveness, he has never recovered from his serious injuries. He may be a career ECHL player.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
IIRC he was viewed as one of the safer 1st rounders in 2014. Thought to have a relatively high floor due to his two-way game. I'm fine using a 5th round pick on him, but he's quite clearly going nowhere near the NHL.

Speaking of guys whose careers are falling off a cliff, Ty Rattie hasn't scored since being sent down to the AHL and has just 1 assist in 9 games. He scored 31 goals as an undersized rookie in that league. I feel like he's just given up and is looking forward to playing in Europe next season.

I have a friend whose son was a prospect in San Jose's system. I'm not sure if he played in the AHL or not, but he never made it to the NHL. He told me about the day his son called to tell him he was done. He just quit. It sounds bad, but I viewed it as the day he realized he wasn't going to make it to the NHL and he just didn't have the desire he needed to go on in that career. It was heart-breaking in some ways, but probably the commonest story of a pro hockey career that can be told.

I don't know if Rattie is to that point, but there are few players who can do what Paajarvi has done and return to the NHL successfully. I doubt Rattie has as good of a chance as he had this year, if he can't stick in Carolina.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
I have a friend whose son was a prospect in San Jose's system. I'm not sure if he played in the AHL or not, but he never made it to the NHL. He told me about the day his son called to tell him he was done. He just quit. It sounds bad, but I viewed it as the day he realized he wasn't going to make it to the NHL and he just didn't have the desire he needed to go on in that career. It was heart-breaking in some ways, but probably the commonest story of a pro hockey career that can be told.

I don't know if Rattie is to that point, but there are few players who can do what Paajarvi has done and return to the NHL successfully. I doubt Rattie has as good of a chance as he had this year, if he can't stick in Carolina.

Even if he doesn't prosper in the AHL, pro hockey can still be an option for Rattie. There's plenty of opportunities/money in Europe.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'm shocked Paajarvi has made a comeback to be honest, but two things he does have going for him that you can't really teach: size and speed. When you have those and are open to learning the game, you can carve out a bottom 6 role a lot of times.

Rattie isn't blessed with either of those things. It sucks for him, but I do think his shot at the NHL is winding down. He doesn't have what it takes.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Second shutout in a row for Binnington. Thought he looked great. Brad Malone looks to be a "hidden gem" of sorts. Could be a nice depth player for us, he's been very solid since coming to the Wolves. Blais and Ago were all over the place per usual, not often is Ago kept off the score sheet but he wasn't given much room. Thompson was kinda quiet for stretches of time but that'll happen, just his 2nd pro game. Rattie missed an empty netter as his bad luck countinues though he did put it in the shootout.Berube put Dunn with Butler so his time with a vet continues as apparently Wisnewski has some sort of knock currently and is out. Still no Lindbohm. Husso is back and healthy as he was the backup tonight. Have to imagine he will play either the Friday or Saturday game.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I think it may have been Blais?

I thought I remember the announcer saying " 'Aggo' gives up the puck!", and then about 2 seconds later, the Griffin shot, and the puck was in the net. We should be able to see his number on the highlights.

But, I remembered wrong. It was a weak, inaccurate pass from Blais that was intercepted by Shvechnikov, who then made 2 good moves to go around both Aggozino and Blais, to go in all alone on goal. So Blais was the culprit, making the bad pass, and then allowing Shvechnikov to go around him, easily towards the net, and let off an uncontested shot.

Last edited:

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
They gave up the game-tying goal with only 8 seconds left. And in OT, Agozzino gave up the puck right in front of the net with no defencemen around. Pretty horrible to throw away a sure win.

they(Chicago) battled back to take a 4-3 lead so the game as a whole wasn't all horrible. Though overall Grand Rapids was the better side last night.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
If you reallyyy want to watch Wolves games you can purchase single games online (AHL live) for 7.99. Griffins sweep the Wolves on the weekend but Blais did have a two goal game tonight.
The fee for changing his Euros to U.S. Dollars for each individual game(transaction) would double that price! :laugh: He'd be a lot better off to buy a package of the rest of the season's games. plus the playoffs.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The fee for changing his Euros to U.S. Dollars for each individual game(transaction) would double that price! :laugh: He'd be a lot better off to buy a package of the rest of the season's games. plus the playoffs.

Robb do you have thtat season package and watching Wolves games?

Btw where I can buy that package?

phxblue

Dec 17, 2015
Clearly, based on his lack of speed and aggressiveness, he has never recovered from his serious injuries. He may be a career ECHL player.

Bleakley's story reminds me of one of my friends. He played baseball. Was drafted by one time, was great in the minors and played in the league all star game following the draft. Then got injured and didnt play as well for another year.

Next season starts playing great baseball again, was dominating in the minors, got hurt again. Ended up getting drafted again by a different team late in the draft.

Played great again for a year, got a hurt again. Said he just couldn't hit the ball the same after that. Then got traded. Never fully recovered and decided to call it quits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad