All Things AHL Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I thought Vaughn transitioned to winger last season...?

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Would Butler really sit, cause isn't he the Captain?

Captains change all the time in the AHL. I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas wanted one of their guys wearing the C.

I thought Vaughn transitioned to winger last season...?

Not really a full transition, he just plays both positions. I think Berube played him mostly at wing last season, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the new guy agrees.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Captains change all the time in the AHL. I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas wanted one of their guys wearing the C.

Not really a full transition, he just plays both positions. I think Berube played him mostly at wing last season, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the new guy agrees.

I remember in an interview with Berube last season he stated that Vaughn was a player both the players and staff were high on. So they kinda pushed him to be flexible at playing both on the wing and defense, depending on the night.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Glad to see this made official and will be even happier when this season is over for the A and we can organize around a single team once again.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It's not officially official; the teams haven't made the announcement yet, but it's probably safe to make travel plans.

I just hope this isn't another Kansas City situation where somebody breaks the story before there's really anything to report. Or the story breaks and somehow sours the relationship and San Antonio pulls out. I know it's hearsay, but I really think that was a big factor in the Kansas City arrangement. Hunt was pissed about that.

In the Post Dispatch story, JPR reported that KC and Indianapolis were the two ECHL franchises we were looking at, but I do think it was Fort Wayne and not Indianapolis. The Indy Fuel are Chicago's ECHL affiliate, and their agreement takes them through 2019/20. So I doubt that Chicago would be wanting to do us any favors and messing up what is a pretty nice arrangement for them. But Fort Wayne was 100% unaffiliated until they announced their partnership with Arizona late last week. Just a hunch.

Doesn't matter now, hopefully. Let's get those Rampage jerseys on some guys.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
San Antonio is officially our affiliate starting in one year

Just what we thought was already decided, but had to be announced officially. Good that the first agreement is 5 years, but we'll have 6 players there this season to start the relationship. The getting official control of hockey operations is a must, and glad to know it will be in the agreement. Short of owning their own team, and also being able to afford that, without hurting the franchise in other areas, this situation is probably the best it could be.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
100% will be making trips down. Shame I can't sightsee in Chicago as much as I won't be at Wolves games but I love this news finally being official.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Where did they announce it? Not seeing anything on their website or their twitter account...

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Sauce? I'm not seeing anything on either the Blues' or Rampage's websites.

I don't think that The Blues have announced it officially yet, but J.R. announced it in a PD article. He's generally really careful not to come out with "news" so far ahead that something could possibly go wrong. So, I believe it's a done deal, and the official announcement will only be a formality.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
There are some great quotes from the AHL president in JR's article. Sounds like Armstrong has been working every angle on this one. I'm much happier with the team in San Antonio than if they would have gone to KC or Indianapolis.

Also sounds like they anticipate about 8 players in Chicago and 6 in San Antonio. And a few other guys farmed out around the AHL. I think if the goalie spots are accounted for, this could work out reasonably well as a stop-gap. Armstrong's strong relationships with other managers has been the key to even having this as an option. That part of his role as a GM almost never gets mentioned, but he has a good reputation for integrity and fairness.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
There are some great quotes from the AHL president in JR's article. Sounds like Armstrong has been working every angle on this one. I'm much happier with the team in San Antonio than if they would have gone to KC or Indianapolis.

Also sounds like they anticipate about 8 players in Chicago and 6 in San Antonio. And a few other guys farmed out around the AHL. I think if the goalie spots are accounted for, this could work out reasonably well as a stop-gap. Armstrong's strong relationships with other managers has been the key to even having this as an option. That part of his role as a GM almost never gets mentioned, but he has a good reputation for integrity and fairness.
Husso and Binnington will be split. I imagine one will be in Chicago and the other in San Antonio. But if ice time is a factor another loan could always be made. Opilka is another goalie who may need a home but the ECHL should be his destination if he leaves jr.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Husso and Binnington will be split. I imagine one will be in Chicago and the other in San Antonio. But if ice time is a factor another loan could always be made. Opilka is another goalie who may need a home but the ECHL should be his destination if he leaves jr.

Right. If Opilka doesn't return for his overage season, and I strongly feel like he should, he'll almost certainly be ECHL-bound. That's where Binnington and Husso started out their careers, and with Opilka's injury troubles the last few seasons, playing against some lesser competition while he gets his legs back underneath him will be a better arrangement than if we threw him into an AHL situation.

As for Binnington, him going to Chicago depends on what Vegas wants to with Maxime Lagace. He was horrendous in Texas last year, and is probably an ECHL-calibre goalie at best, and a mediocre one at that. It doesn't look like the Quad City Mallards (Vegas' ECHL affiliate) have any goalies signed right now, so that would be a logical destination for him. I would be very, very surprised if Binnington couldn't force him out on merit alone anyways. Oscar Dansk is a bit of a different question, but he is pretty crappy too. I feel like Binnington is clearly the best of that bunch, but maybe Chicago feels differently, who knows.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
JR has said Husso is San Antonio bound for awhile now.

Think it's probably better to send our better prospects to SA right away?

I hope that's what happens, but JR said the big guns will likely be in Chicago. I hope we load up the San Antonio roster with our best and brightest, although I could see a situation where Armstrong wants to throw them into a highly-competitive environment. There will certainly be no shortage of that in Chicago. However, without control of hockey operations, I don't doubt for a second that they'll just go right back to playing their favorites at the expense of our guys' development.

I also don't have the stats off the top of my head, but I don't think the development rule is a concern in Chicago to the extent that JR apparently does. 200 games or whatever is a lot, I don't think most players on the Wolves projected roster are anywhere close to that right now. So we shouldn't put our eggs in that basket and think it will guarantee our guys spots or anything.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
JR has said Husso is San Antonio bound for awhile now.

Think it's probably better to send our better prospects to SA right away?

Not necessarily. Might be better for them to have continuity and stay together in Chicago. Bottom line: I don't know, but I trust the Blues organization to make the right call here. FWIW the article specifically mentioned that, "the Blues might be able to send top recent picks Tage Thompson, Klim Kostin, Jake Walman and Vince Dunn to the Wolves"

Doug Armstrong said:
The younger players (Vegas) drafted this year will likely play junior or go back to their club teams...So we'll be able to accent Vegas' good veterans with some of our younger players, which I think is a positive...make no mistake, he's always going to do what's best for Vegas, and that's his job...But George's belief is, it's professional hockey and you want to create a winning culture...Our guys are first - and second-round picks, so I'm comfortable that our kids are going to be able to go in there and earn their ice time.

-------------------

I hope that's what happens, but JR said the big guns will likely be in Chicago. I hope we load up the San Antonio roster with our best and brightest, although I could see a situation where Armstrong wants to throw them into a highly-competitive environment. There will certainly be no shortage of that in Chicago. However, without control of hockey operations, I don't doubt for a second that they'll just go right back to playing their favorites at the expense of our guys' development.

I also don't have the stats off the top of my head, but I don't think the development rule is a concern in Chicago to the extent that JR apparently does. 200 games or whatever is a lot, I don't think most players on the Wolves projected roster are anywhere close to that right now. So we shouldn't put our eggs in that basket and think it will guarantee our guys spots or anything.

Vegas controls all hockey operations, not Chicago IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino