All Things AHL Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
It sounds like they'll announce the franchise first, and then the affiliation later? If it's Colorado, it's probably pretty obvious what is going to happen. If not, then I suppose it's possible that the Blues affiliate with an entirely new franchise altogether.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
JR had this to say in his chat today in response to questions about the AHL situation:

The Blues will have minor-league affiliate in 2018-19, as we can now confirm based on the release by the American Hockey League Thursday saying that it will expand by one team next season. As I've been reporting, I believe the Blues will be aligned with an existing AHL franchise next year and another NHL team will take over the expansion AHL franchise. I'm not at liberty to say which team will be the Blues' new affiliate, but I think we'll have some news in the not-too-distant future.

I'll be writing about this topic very soon and hope to answer most of these questions. But just scratching the surface here in the chat today, the Blues will be sending some prospects to Chicago. Others will be loaned out to other AHL teams. For example, I think you'll see Husso wind up in San Antonio. It's unfortunate, but the prospects will be spread out for a year until the Blues get aligned with their new affiliate.

So it sounds like JR knows more than he's saying but he's "not at liberty" to say more right now but he should be able to tell us more soon.

But all of it lines up to the Blues affiliating with a current AHL franchise (like, oh, I don't know, the San Antonio Rampage?) and another NHL team starting up the 31st NHL franchise (just spit ballin here but maybe the Avs moving their ECHL affiliate Colorado Eagles to the AHL?).

Regarding Husso and the others, hopefully the boys aren't spread out onto too many teams.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Agreed. Two teams is one too many, but let's hope the bleeding stops there.

San Antonio/Chicago isn't the worst set up. When ice time is needed that's just what the Blues need to do for one year(thank god). For Husso and Binnington the loans will benefit the most obviously. Some of the fringe forwards may even spend some time in the ECHL.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
San Antonio/Chicago isn't the worst set up. When ice time is needed that's just what the Blues need to do for one year(thank god). For Husso and Binnington the loans will benefit the most obviously. Some of the fringe forwards may even spend some time in the ECHL.

I have NO doubt that at least a few forwards and probably one defenceman will play in The ECHL this season.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

I have NO doubt that at least a few forwards and probably one defenceman will play in The ECHL this season.

I don't disagree here. Bleackley shone in Kansas City last season, he was probably their best forward while he was there. Any ECHL team would be lucky to get him. Selman hardly played, so he fits in the ECHL too. MacEachern could probably stand to get some time down there as well; it wouldn't hurt anyways.

That still leaves Blais, Sanford, Thompson, Kostin, Megan and Musil needing spots in the AHL. Splitting them between SAR and CHI half-and-half could work, as there appears to be 6 spots available between the two teams (although whether they are the right spots positionally is a different question).

The real difficulty is going to come at defense. CHI has 2 spots open, 1 at LD and 1 at RD. SAR has two RD spots open (conceptually). However, SAR has six LHD on their roster, and Vegas has three guys on their pro roster with no spots, meaning that they might try to put a guy like Jon Merrill through waivers, or trade Sbisa/Stoner for some help elsewhere (which could push one of our guys out). We have potentially 4 LHD needing AHL spots in Walman, Dunn, Butler, and Lindbohm. One or two of those guys could grab NHL spots potentially, and Butler played most of last season on the right side, I think. All the same, LHD is a position of great depth for both the Wolves and the Rampage, and so for guys like Lindbohm and Butler who are likely to spend most of their time in the AHL next season, it's clearly less than ideal. Potentially the Avalanche call up Bigras or Warsofsky as full-timers next season, but even if both of them get the call San Antonio still has 4 LHD on their roster. It's a tight fit.

As for the goalie situation, if Husso goes to SAR, it's pretty clear he'll be splitting time with Spencer Martin, who started 50 games last season. They also have Joe Cannata, who is an AHL/ECHL tweener at best, and the Eagles used 8 goalies last season so he would at least add some stability there if that's where they want him to go. Regardless, if they want Martin to stay at that 50-game level, that leaves ~30 starts for Husso, or about what he started last year between Kansas City and Chicago. For reference, in Allen's 1st 3 years in the AHL, he started 47, 38, and 35 games, before jumping up to 52 in his 4th and final year. Of all of the scenarios for our prospects, Husso might actually be going into the best situation. God knows where Binnington ends up, or how many games he might start. If it's San Antonio and he has to "take starts" from Husso, it probably won't be good for anyone, and same goes for Chicago, although at least in Chicago he could send Lagace (who sucks) down to Quad Cities with good play. Competing with Dansk could be good for him.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Both Chicago and San Antonio have their home openers announced. October 14th for the Wolves and the 7th for the Rampage. Both against the Ontario Reign.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Looking for some assistance for our podcast tonight.

We plan on going over "potential" SA assignments from the Blues. Can anyone tell me which of the current non-roster players have a chance to make the NHL squad?

Appreciate the help

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

We plan on going over "potential" SA assignments from the Blues. Can anyone tell me which of the current non-roster players have a chance to make the NHL squad?

Appreciate the help

The guys you're going to be "picking from" from the Blues system will be:

Sam Blais
Mackenzie MacEachern
Zach Sanford (maybe)
Tage Thompson
Wade Megan
Klim Kostin
Conner Bleackley
Adam Musil
Ville Husso
Jordan Binnington
Jake Walman
Petteri Lindbohm
Chris Butler

You can potentially throw Vince Dunn into the mix in there too, but there's been lots of speculation that he (or Walman, one of the two) will make the team out of camp this year. Wade Megan was a injury call-up last year, but depending on how things go, Lindbohm, Walman, Thompson, Sanford, and maaaaybe Kostin could all see NHL time next year, depending on how things go injury-wise.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Appreciate the help

Its a good question. With Berglund's injury there may be a spot open for someone unexpected. But there are enough new players that its hard to know.

There is speculation that Gunnarsson might be moved (maybe at the end of camp) to make room for Dunn or Walman. I think this is the most likely scenario.

The top 6 have (Schwartz, Stastny, Tarasenko, Fabbri, Schenn, Steen) in some combo.
3rd line: Sobotka, Berglund (IR), ?
Options are Sundqvist, Barbashev (most likely), Sanford, Bennett

4th line: Paajarvi (I suppose could be 3rd liner), Brodziak, Thorburn, ???

I don't see prospects going on the 4th line, other than for a 9 game stint and to get their feet wet. But Sundqvist is not waiver eligible, so I think he'll be there, with Thorburn scratched more often than not. Who is the other scratched forward? I'll go with Bennett: So (not the actual line combos):

Schwart - Stastny - Tarasenko
Fabbri - Schenn - Steen
Sobotka - Barbashev - Berglund/??? (going with Bennett vs Sanford)
Paajarvi - Sundqvist - Brodziak (not sure who centers)
scratch: Bennett, Thorburn (so there is room for a young guy to stick for the first month or two)

Bouwmeester - Pietro
Edmundson - Parayko
Dunn (maybe Walman) - Schmaltz
Bortuzzo (trade Gunnarsson)

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Just in case there was still any doubt about where the new Blues AHL team will be located, in his chat yesterday JR refused to name the city but did say any fans going down there could enjoy an NBA game, get some fresh tortilla chips, and enjoy a scenic walk. Kinda screams San Antonio. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad