All Things AHL Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Oh my god. Continually freaking out isn't going to solve anything. Let's just wait and see and trust Husso to be good enough to beat out other goalies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Oh my god. Continually freaking out isn't going to solve anything. Let's just wait and see and trust Husso to be good enough to beat out other goalies.

It's not freaking out, but it is a concerning situation. It's a very real possibility that Husso could end up in a situation where he outperforms the other goalie and doesn't receive the bulk of the starts. That's concerning, but we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I really can't tell is this good or bad thing? But I guess I was a right about 3 goaltenders in Chicago didn't work out like majority here told it would be just fine.

Because we don't know the whole story yet. Just like we didn't know the whole story last time you went crazy. It sounds like there are some additional AHL options for Blues prospects besides the Wolves/Vegas agreement (the details of which we don't even know). It almost sounds like this is an important issue that Armstrong has addressed privately to ensure that guys are going to be in situations good for their development (but I'm speculating too).

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
Because we don't know the whole story yet. Just like we didn't know the whole story last time you went crazy. It sounds like there are some additional AHL options for Blues prospects besides the Wolves/Vegas agreement (the details of which we don't even know). It almost sounds like this is an important issue that Armstrong has addressed privately to ensure that guys are going to be in situations good for their development (but I'm speculating too).

I think the constant hyperbole used is "crazier" than anything else.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

I'm sure we'll have agreements, but there is no guarantee that all agreements will be great agreements for us. There should be legitimate concern.

Ranksu really isn't that wrong in this situation. This is a part where the Blues organization dropped the ball, and there will probably be a case or 2 where prospects will not be in great situations.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm sure we'll have agreements, but there is no guarantee that all agreements will be great agreements for us. There should be legitimate concern.

Ranksu really isn't that wrong in this situation. This is a part where the Blues organization dropped the ball, and there will probably be a case or 2 where prospects will not be in great situations.

I'm sincere where I say I was also speculating. I agree with you. Even if no specific prospects are adversely affected, it would probably mean the Blues have less guys at the AHL level than they normally would have had, and that by itself could be a negative. Even guys loaned out to decent AHL franchises are missing the chance to bond and form chemistry with potential Blues' teammates and to be taught closely by Blues-hired personnel.

Seems pretty obvious that something fell through and this is the back-up plan. But its definitely not ideal.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I think everyone agrees/realizes that this is far from an ideal situation. Nobody is maximizing the benefits here from the Blues side of things at all. The list of reasons why having an AHL team is beneficial has probably never been written bc how many freaking teams have found themselves in this situation? It's very frustrating, especially considering (like other people have noted) that our prospect depth is actually at the point now, for the first time in years and years, where we really need a full AHL-squad worth of space for our guys. Sending guys all over the country to fare for themselves, away from their teammates, away from our systems, away from our control, away from our coaching... none of this is a win for us. It frankly sucks.

But at the same time, we won't know what is going to shake out. If we, for example, send a few guys to San Antonio with the knowledge that they are going to be our affiliate next year as well, that might be less of a crummy situation than some other possibilities. We should know our AHL affiliate situation by the fall, according to Dave Andrews, the AHL President. It's conceivable that somehow, the final arrangement is ultimately the best possible scenario for us. I doubt it, but it's within the realm of possibility.

So, I see how it's easy to be doom and gloom about this, and there really isn't anything substantial to suggest that anybody should be super optimistic. But, at the same time, that really means that the best we can do is wait for the other shoe(s) to drop and hope that it's the best possible outcome given the rest of the situation. Idk, that's really the best any of us can do at this point.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Does anyone know if Blais has actual NHL potential, or is he just a pretty good AHLer?

All anyone is going to be able to give is their opinion but IMO, he has NHL potential. Probably as a 3rd line winger...but he's far from a guarantee IMO. I'd give him about a 40% chance of making it.

JoshFromMO

Apr 6, 2015
Missoura
All anyone is going to be able to give is their opinion but IMO, he has NHL potential. Probably as a 3rd line winger...but he's far from a guarantee IMO. I'd give him about a 40% chance of making it.

Yeah it seems like the Blues have a few third line options right now. It doesn't help his case that he's a LW (this could be wrong, I just checked hockeydb) either.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Right now, from what I can figure, Vegas is sending 15 players minimum to Chicago. That includes 3 LWs, 2 Cs, 4 RWs, 4D, and 2 goalies. At the same time, the Blues are trying to locate 13 AHL players, including 2LW, 4Cs, 2 RWs, 3D and 2 goalies. That brings Chicago's grand total up to (potentially) 28 players competing for 23 spots, including 5LWs, 6Cs, 6RWs, 7D, and 4 goalies. Assuming for a second that Chicago will give preference to Las Vegans, just for the sake of argument, the lineup will look something like this:

Leipsic-Tynan-Hyka
Nosek-Duke-Wong
Matteau-XXXX-P. Thompson
XXXX-XXXX-Kolesar

Bischoff-Hunt
Reinhart-Casto
XXXX-XXXX

Dansk-Lagace

Which leaves 5 spots open for Blues prospects, including 2Ds, 1 LW and 2Cs. Which of course doesn't put a dent in the amount of people we have to find a home for. This is also assuming that Carrier, Pulkkinen, and Tuch all make the opening night roster for Vegas, and it doesn't account for the excess D they have on the NHL squad right now (Sbisa, Stoner, and Merrill), who probably won't be re-assigned but might be traded for additional AHL bodies.

Assuming Dunn makes the opening night roster for us (and Jaskin and Paajarvi/Bennett are the extra forwards), and that Selman, Vannelli and Sergeev will all be in the ECHL, the players that need homes for the Blues are:

Blais-Sanford-Thompson
MacEachern-Megan-Kostin
XXXX-Bleackley-XXXX
XXXX-Musil-XXXX

Walman-Butler
Lindbohm-XXXX
XXXX-XXXX

Husso-Binnington

So, as of today, that's where we stand. Should be interesting to see how we finagle all of that.

Last edited:

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
JR implied that Husso would be loaned to San Antonio on the radio about an hour ago, and that Army has plans in place for other players.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
JR implied that Husso would be loaned to San Antonio on the radio about an hour ago, and that Army has plans in place for other players.

That does not surprise me. Here are the Independently owned teams that I was able to find: Binghamton, Charlotte, Chicago, Grand Rapids, Hershey, Lehigh Valley, Milwaukee, Providence, Rockford, Springfield and Syracuse, San Antonio.

That is number of teams that Armstrong can reach out to.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
This is far from ideal. Without a doubt Army's biggest "failure" this 'off-season' has been failing to get an AHL team affiliate in time for '17-'18. There was speculation before the ED that sharing Chicago with Vegas would give us an advantage going into the ED. Did we gain anything other than headache from this joint venture? Vegas took Perron - not exactly an "I'll scratch your back" situation. If that's considered our big reward then I'm not so sure we won that deal.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
He hedged it with could so it's not a done deal, but yes. Husso was also the only player actually named.

https://www.101sports.com/audio/the-fast-lane-july-5-2017-4-pm-hour/

"I think San Antonio is a place where a goalie like Ville Husso could go, and maybe some more players."

Wow, really bummed I missed that interview. If San Antonio really is where the Blues are essentially setting their sights for this season for a handful of loans then that lets up on the pressure we previously had.
But honestly loaning players out is something the Blues seriously need to push for. Like many have said our prospect depth hasn't been this deep in years. Vast majority aren't ready for the NHL but consistent ice time is a must.

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Wow, really bummed I missed that interview. If San Antonio really is where the Blues are essentially setting their sights for this season for a handful of loans then that lets up on the pressure we previously had.
But honestly loaning players out is something the Blues seriously need to push for. Like many have said our prospect depth hasn't been this deep in years. Vast majority aren't ready for the NHL but consistent ice time is a must.

I can post more about it tomorrow, but yeah compared to Chicago, San Antonio is basically a blank slate at this point (exaggerating there, but yeah, it looks better). Especially if the Avs don't sign any free agent D, or if Zadorov bolts for the KHL, they'll be forced to call up 2-3 of Siemens, Bigras, Meloche, etc, opening up even more spots in SA.

If possible, I'd rather have all of our prospects in one place. I'd hate to have Kostin or Thompson crash the net and knock Husso's block off or something. That'd just be weird.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
He hedged it with could so it's not a done deal, but yes. Husso was also the only player actually named.

https://www.101sports.com/audio/the-fast-lane-july-5-2017-4-pm-hour/

"I think San Antonio is a place where a goalie like Ville Husso could go, and maybe some more players."

Good stuff. Thanks for the link.

It's definitely an interesting, albeit awkward, situation down here in San Antonio. I'm really hoping the inactivity this summer by the Avs is due to a prearranged agreement with the Blues to supply some players.

We are still in need of 4 or 5 forwards and 2 or 3 D as of today.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Right now, from what I can figure, Vegas is sending 15 players minimum to Chicago. That includes 3 LWs, 2 Cs, 4 RWs, 4D, and 2 goalies. At the same time, the Blues are trying to locate 13 AHL players, including 2LW, 4Cs, 2 RWs, 3D and 2 goalies. That brings Chicago's grand total up to (potentially) 28 players competing for 23 spots, including 5LWs, 6Cs, 6RWs, 7D, and 4 goalies. Assuming for a second that Chicago will give preference to Las Vegans, just for the sake of argument, the lineup will look something like this:

Leipsic-Tynan-Hyka
Nosek-Duke-Wong
Matteau-XXXX-P. Thompson
XXXX-XXXX-Kolesar

Bischoff-Hunt
Reinhart-Casto
XXXX-XXXX

Dansk-Lagace

Which leaves 5 spots open for Blues prospects, including 2Ds, 1 LW and 2Cs. Which of course doesn't put a dent in the amount of people we have to find a home for. This is also assuming that Carrier, Pulkkinen, and Tuch all make the opening night roster for Vegas, and it doesn't account for the excess D they have on the NHL squad right now (Sbisa, Stoner, and Merrill), who probably won't be re-assigned but might be traded for additional AHL bodies.

Assuming Dunn makes the opening night roster for us (and Jaskin and Paajarvi/Bennett are the extra forwards), and that Selman, Vannelli and Sergeev will all be in the ECHL, the players that need homes for the Blues are:

Blais-Sanford-Thompson
MacEachern-Megan-Kostin
XXXX-Bleackley-XXXX
XXXX-Musil-XXXX

Walman-Butler
Lindbohm-XXXX
XXXX-XXXX

Husso-Binnington

So, as of today, that's where we stand. Should be interesting to see how we finagle all of that.

Bleackley hasn't shown enough to warrant playing regularly in The AHL. So, his being assigned to The ECHL wouldn't be a tragedy. He's never been the same skater since his serious injuries. Given that, I think he's just about the lowest priority in The Blues' system. Binnington has played a lot with Blues' prospects. So, it wouldn't be a tragedy for him to be loaned to another AHL team for 1 season (IF that can be done). I wouldn't want him playing in The ECHL (and I'm sure that would ruin his relationship with The Blues, if that situation were to last more than a few weeks).

Kostin has stated :NHL or AHL are the only North American choices. He'd bolt to The KHL if one of those assignments wouldn't happen.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Repeating the process here for the San Antonio Rampage. This one's a little more complicated because, honestly, what in the heck is going on with their NHL franchise? Are they hanging onto Duchene or not? If not, what's coming back in that deal? What about Landeskog? Is Zadorov going back to the KHL or no? There are just a lot of question marks. BUT, as it stands today, here's what we're working with:

From what I can tell, COL is sending ~18 players to San Antonio, including 4LW, 2C, 3RW, 6LD, 1RD, and 2Gs. Assuming that Siemens (finally) takes a spot in their NHL lineup and Zadorov does indeed sign, their AHL lineup will look something like this:

Agozzino-Grimaldi-Beaudin
Greer-Girard-Petryk
Nantel-XXXX-Vogelhuber
Bourque-XXXX-XXXX

Bigras-Meloche
Warsofsky-XXXX
Geertsen-XXXX
Boikov
Lindholm
Mironov

Martin-Cannata

Spencer Martin started 50 games last year, and Joe Cannata split time between Hershey, San Antonio and South Carolina of the ECHL last year. If Zadorov doesn't sign, I could also see at least 2 of Warsofsky, Meloche, and/or Bigras getting starting jobs with the Avs, who only have 3 defensemen under contract right now (woof). If Duchene gets moved for defense, obviously that changes. However, the odds of a forward getting called up for a regular job seem pretty low. Maybe Agozzino gets a few cups of coffee as an extra forward. Nobody else strikes me as being particularly ready, especially assuming Jost is starting off with the big club (and staying there).

The one upside in that forward group is that everyone except Beaudin is a veteran/AHL-lifer, and so they need an infusion of youth to comply with the "development league" requirements. Could our group of 13(ish) do that? Probably. Idk, it sort of seems like that's what they're setting up for though, doesn't it?

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Without a Duchene deal:

One of those forwards will need to go up as the Avs are at 11 signed right now (Nieto going to arbitration makes 12). My guess would be whoever plays better in camp between Greer and Gabriel Bourque.

Three defensemen will have to go up just to fill out the roster with one extra. My guess would be Mironov, Siemens, and whoever plays better between Warsofsky and Bigras.

That leaves me with this lineup right now.

Greer (Bourque)/Girard/Grimaldi
Agozzino/Beaudin/XXXX
Vogelhuber/Nantel/Petryk
XXXX/XXXX/XXXX

Bigras (Warsofsky)/Lindholm
Boikov/Meloche
Geertsen/XXXX

With a Duchene trade, assuming they don't get an NHL ready forward back, two forwards will need to go up while I'd assume one D would be left back.

XXXX/Girard/Grimaldi
Agozzino/Beaudin/XXXX
Vogelhuber/Nantel/Petryk
XXXX/XXXX/XXXX

Bigras/Lindholm
Warsofsky/Meloche
Geertsen/Boikov

A lot of moving pieces still in play, but the Avs relative inactivity in the last 6 days leads me to believe the Rampage are expecting at least one or two bodies from St Louis.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Without a Duchene deal:

One of those forwards will need to go up as the Avs are at 11 signed right now (Nieto going to arbitration makes 12). My guess would be whoever plays better in camp between Greer and Gabriel Bourque.

Three defensemen will have to go up just to fill out the roster with one extra. My guess would be Mironov, Siemens, and whoever plays better between Warsofsky and Bigras.

That leaves me with this lineup right now.

Greer (Bourque)/Girard/Grimaldi
Agozzino/Beaudin/XXXX
Vogelhuber/Nantel/Petryk
XXXX/XXXX/XXXX

Bigras (Warsofsky)/Lindholm
Boikov/Meloche
Geertsen/XXXX

With a Duchene trade, assuming they don't get an NHL ready forward back, two forwards will need to go up while I'd assume one D would be left back.

XXXX/Girard/Grimaldi
Agozzino/Beaudin/XXXX
Vogelhuber/Nantel/Petryk
XXXX/XXXX/XXXX

Bigras/Lindholm
Warsofsky/Meloche
Geertsen/Boikov

A lot of moving pieces still in play, but the Avs relative inactivity in the last 6 days leads me to believe The Rampage are expecting at least one or two bodies from St Louis.

Only 2!!! The Blues look like they'll need spots for at least one goaltender and 3-4 skaters, unless The Golden Knights trade off a few AHL calibre players for draft choices and ECHL level players. :cry:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I was wrong about the development league compliance thing: SA has at least 15 players that comply with that, only 3 who don't. It takes a lot longer to get to 260 games than I thought!

Also, thanks for your insights RampageNate! I'm really just feeling my way through the dark over here, so your thoughts are appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad