Speculation: All purpose trade deadline / roster moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It'd be a mistake to trade Pesce or Hamilton right now. And given how the hockey trade clearly hasn't materialized for Faulk, it's probably best to hang on to him until the summer. Not that I don't think we should move him if we get the right deal, but I'd prefer to just keep him as long as we stay competitive and try to move him at the draft. It might be a situation where we grab a 1st from one team and having that as an asset opens up better deals.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Boyle went to NSH for a 2nd. All that tells me is Ferland is damn sure returning a 1st round pick.

I'm not so sure. I think his recent string of injuries hurt his value. Depending on where we are in the standings, I wouldn't be surprised if we traded Ferland for another upcoming UFA that we believe we'd have a better chance of resigning.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Boyle went to NSH for a 2nd. All that tells me is Ferland is damn sure returning a 1st round pick.

I would hope so, but deadlines are never predictable given how tight some of the races are, both in terms of who is buying and who is selling. There are a lot of guys that "could" be on the market: Hoffman, Stone, Duchene, Simmonds, Skinner, Hayes, Panarin, Brassard, Nyquist, Johansson, Zuccarello, Silfverberg, etc... There are also a lot of teams on the bubble that won't want to pony up a 1st to get one of these guys.

Clearly not all of those guys will be traded at the deadline, but Ferland's value will be affected by how many of them are.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'm not convinced. Team is playing great right now, but it still lacks talent, has a tenuous goalie situation (Can Mac stay healthy) and I'm not of the "sell the farm to squeak into the playoffs" mentality.

Our losses to Calagary? The 5th best team in the league?

Yah, we likely lose first round to Tampa. But I think we can get in.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Our losses to Calagary? The 5th best team in the league?

Yah, we likely lose first round to Tampa. But I think we can get in.

We also lost to the NYR and Ottawa. I think there's a chance they get it, but I don't risk our 1st round pick on the chance that we might, only to lose the guy in UFA. Those are moves contenders make because a) they know their 1st will be late in the 1st round and b) they know the guy they are getting might be the missing piece.

We aren't even close to being in that situation and IMO, it would be foolish to make such a move.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Auston Matthews’ potential impact on the Carolina Hurricanes
by Matt Karash | Feb 6, 2019 | Daily Cup of Joe

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced that the team had extended Auston Matthews for five years at a whopping $11.63 million per year. Current math shows the Leafs with $7.6 million of cap room for 2019-20 and still eight roster spots to fill including re-signing Kasperi Kapanen and Mitch Marner. The Leafs do get some cap relief from Nathan Horton’s $5 million LTIR and also the likelihood that the salary cap will increase next season. But even still, the math most certainly means that the Leafs will need to trade a player or two. This situation could put William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen and Mitch Marner in play. With the Hurricanes needing another forward or two, this could be relevant to the Canes.
The other interesting upshot is Sebastian Aho’s contract situation. Aho will need to be re-signed this summer if not earlier. Aho was drafted one year earlier, but is similarly coming off of his entry-level contract. Matthews missed some time due to injury, but his scoring pace for 82 games is 99 points. Aho is not far behind at 95. I do not think Aho would be able to negotiate for Matthews type money simply because Matthews has posted bigger totals in prior years. But as a young superstar who is a team leader offensively, I do think Matthews contract matters. First, it sets a precendent for young stars seeking the maximum possible versus at least considering what is best for the team. Second, though Aho might be a notch below Matthews, Aho’s next deal could still use Matthews’ deal as a reference point.
Random Carolina Hurricanes notes: Micheal Ferland, Canes-centric thoughts on Auston Matthews’ contract and the standings | Canes & Coffee

Reactions: Identity404

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
Well the agent gets 20 % or something of the money and 0 % of the Stanley Cup, so $2M to the player is like $400k to him.

This i just dont belive. There is no way that any agent could be worth of that in world of cap limits. Or if that would be their fee, i would have sa8d as asuton that f***off, walked to head office to said: "i take 10 M per season, deal now! No agents between, just laywer checking the terms"

And answer would have been: "yes".

Or as Aho, no going without agent to dundon: " hi pal, what about 7.5M per season?"

Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad