Speculation: All purpose trade deadline / roster moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If we’re selling Williams is a prime candidate. He’s worth a second and a middling prospect probably right now. If he keeps scoring maybe more. He’s not staying much longer and he’d definitely resign here if he has gas left in the tank next year. He’s the obvious rental.

He and one of the goalies make the most sense if we give up.

We’re not trading Staal but I would definitely do it. If made my feeling clear on keeping Ferland.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Ok, for reals this time:

Ferland: Owner is too cheap to do what is necessary to keep him, so he is traded at the deadline, with retention, to a cap strapped team for a 1st

Rask: Nothing happens here, unfortunately. The opportunity to move him without it being a depressed asset move was last draft.

Staal: His salary and his concussion are going to keep him here.

Captain: They won't move him at the deadline, but I don't think they resign him either.

Darling: I think they will wait to see what happens with the lockout votes in September to make a decision on a buyout (if no lockout) or keep him the 3rd and last year (if a lockout happens).

Aho: Signed before July 1st at $9M x 8 years.

Turbo: Late signing for $7M x 6 years.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
the amount that aho's stock is gaining will make us regret that we didn't sign him when we first started talking about signing him. whatever his side asked for, it likely wasn't as much as it will be now. that's the scary part. he's approaching the ability to ask for $8 mil. plus and get it. do we need to wait any longer?

Approaching? Aho's looking at $8.5 to $9 million IMO.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
TT is nothing without Aho. Ferland brings a lot of what we don’t have. I agree the summer moves make it hard to let go of skill like TT has but to me letting Ferland go so TT can get by with his bruh is nonsensical.

TT on many other teams would be struggling to be on the second line. He’s VERY lucky to be on our team. It shouldn’t be that expensive to sign him, he wouldn’t have this role anywhere else. He’s in the perfect place for him.

Aho is fine without him. TT is not fine without Aho. I believe Tt’s contract has just as much a chance to be an albatross as Ferlands.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't think we've seen them apart enough recently to make those judgments. However, I did say before the season I would like to see them apart more often so we had a better gauge on what TT brings to the table and before we commit to him long term. I do think he helps elevate Aho's game though, he certainly has skill, and he plays a good two way game. I would love for both to be signed, but I personally see much less risk in signing TT.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I don't think we've seen them apart enough recently to make those judgments. However, I did say before the season I would like to see them apart more often so we had a better gauge on what TT brings to the table and before we commit to him long term. I do think he helps elevate Aho's game though, he certainly has skill, and he plays a good two way game. I would love for both to be signed, but I personally see much less risk in signing TT.

While I agree with you and understand the point you are making, we are not nearly as good a team when they are split up, so whats the point. kinda shooting yourself in the foot if you do that.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Teravainen is a complimentary skill player, yes, but this organization lacks complimentary skill players. Aho would be fine sans Teravainen if Lindholm was still here ready to step up into that spot. I don't think they have a choice but to pay him now.
I’m probably just saying this, as I’ve been saying since before the trade. It seemed obvious one of the two was leaving, and I greatly preferred it to be TT as Lindy brings a lot more to the table. It’s over and it is what it is. Losing Ferland so we can overpay TT makes me nauseated. I don’t think for a second I’m underrating him. He’s shown a better effort now that he’s on the pk but doesn’t make him a better defensive player. He’s a periphery guy, always has been. He won’t shoot when you need him to. I don’t trust him at all 3 on 3. He blends well with Aho, which any skill guy would. I know it sounds like I hate him, I don’t. He just endlessly frustrates me the way Staal does. It’s great we’re on a roll and the guy is playing well now. He’s just the last guy to pull us out of a funk when we are struggling, when he has the skill to do it every night.

I agree with we don’t have a choice but to pay him now, but the same exact thing applies to Ferland. We don’t have a choice.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Ok, somewhat off topic for our team right now, BUT.....Marner offer sheet 5 years 10.1 mil this summer. Would you give up 2 1sts, 2nd, 3rd? Or whatever the max $ is come July 1 this year for the two 1sts category if it is changed.

Over $6,088,980 to $8,118,6411st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick
Over $8,118,641 to $10,148,302Two 1st’s, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick
Over $10,148,302Four 1st round picks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
You couldn't find that easy 65-pts 24 years old age top six winger. Teravainen is legit playmaker with solid two-way game. We are not in position to give away that, unless someone think Gauthier and Mattheos could replace TT that easily. We need more TT, not less. We just get rid of Lindholm and Skinner. Keep our skilled guys and build around that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad