Speculation: All purpose trade deadline / roster moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Hell no. Especially after he just came back from Russia after bolting the Devils when things got rough. Even if we weren't on his NMC or he was willing to waive for us, I want no part of that.

And I agree with the above. Build around a defensive core of Slavin-Pesce-Hamilton-CDH. Everyone else is expendable for the right pieces. I know we might be able to get more value from someone like Peesh, but last night showed just how dominant this team, and especially defense, can be when it all comes together. Value and protect that and use lesser assets to build up the forward lines. Its also worth remembering we are still on an entry level Svech and Necas is going to be ready to come up soon. Our top end talent might already be in house, and with the defense we have, we could be set up for long term contention already.
It was great. He scored against the Devils last night and their announcer let out a loud "Nooooooooooooooo" LOL

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
This i just dont belive. There is no way that any agent could be worth of that in world of cap limits. Or if that would be their fee, i would have sa8d as asuton that f***off, walked to head office to said: "i take 10 M per season, deal now! No agents between, just laywer checking the terms"

And answer would have been: "yes".

Or as Aho, no going without agent to dundon: " hi pal, what about 7.5M per season?"

Done.
Agents get 3-4%.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Management is finally thinking about this year. Use Ferland as our own rental, I want playoffs this year please.

This makes sense on two levels.

First, if we keep him, it sets expectations. "Own rental" is a perfect term for it.

Second, it helps set his value. It sends the message that we're not giving him away for nothing, because making the playoffs has value and he's a key piece in that equation.

Worst scenario is we keep him and we miss, but the way they're playing now, that looks more and more like a risk worth taking.

Last edited:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
This has shades of Ruutu all over it. Powerforward with a good trade value being kept for a slim playoff chance. Just don't sign him to any ridiculous contracts to justify not trading him.

The timing is different though. Back then we desperately needed to build up some of our depth and trading Ruutu would of surely helped that. Today though we’ve got some of the best prospect depth in the NHL, a pick and a prospect isn’t likely going to make an impact for us anytime soon. I’d rather gamble and take a shot at the playoffs. Sure it might mean we lose Ferland for nothing. But if we make playoffs, that return is greater than any combo of picks and prospects for me at this moment.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
The only thing about Ferland is that he is more valuable IN the playoffs than to a team just trying to make it there.

If the Canes make it, there is about a 95% chance of losing. Ferland has more value to a team with true cup aspirations (Calgary, TB, etc) with his style of play in the playoffs.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It's smart to pull back, especially now that the market is getting flooded with other forward options and Nashville has made their moves. Next two games are big, and then we have a nice run of non-contending teams. No need to make a decision for a few more games. If we come out in good shape, anything less than a 1st or a young player ready to step into the lineup doesn't move the needle enough.

There's also the chance we slide into the playoffs and that experience may cement Ferland's desire to stay here and make him come off his demands a bit. Or he's intent on getting paid, which is fine since it's his one real chance to cash in so go for it.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
This makes sense on two levels.

First, if we keep him, it sets expectations. "Own rental" is a perfect term for it.

Second, it helps set his value. It sends the message that we're not giving him away for nothing, because making the playoffs has value and he's a key piece in that equation.

Worst scenario is we keep him and we miss, but the way they're playing now, that looks more and more like a risk worth taking.

One more plus, if you don't mind. Every day Ferland is with us, gives us a chance he tells his agent to work something out. I know the guy wants to cash in, but a year ago, he was playing in Calgary. Now he's in Carolina. It's possible he gets traded to Las Vegas or somewhere at the deadline, then signs as a free agent in Vancouver or Ottawa or wherever. That doesn't sound like something a family guy wants to do. Eventually, I would think he's going to realize he's found a home here. Or he's a dumba$$ who really just wants the most money he can get.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
Ferland is only a top 6 forward if he is playing with someone who can really drive the play (On the Canes only Aho is this). If they are going to continue to play NN with Aho instead of Ferland (I think they should) Ferland should be moved

Edit: This assumes he can bring a good return. If you still want to go for the playoffs package that return and whatever other pluses for the best forward you can (ideally with at least a year or 2 left)

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I get it using ferland as rental, but the assets we could get for trading him could be used in another trade with stuff we have to get what we need. So IDK how i feel about that.

So, we should trade Ferland for futures, which we then flip for a guy like Ferland, who we now desperately need since we traded Ferland.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
It's smart to pull back, especially now that the market is getting flooded with other forward options and Nashville has made their moves. Next two games are huge, and then we have a nice run of non-playoff teams. No need to make a decision for a few more games. If we come out in good shape, anything less than a 1st or a young player ready to step into the lineup doesn't move the needle enough.
This is the crux of the biscuit I think- if guys like Boyle (who I love) are getting 2nds, Ferland should easily fetch a little more. Is that 2nd worth falling behind in the race for the first dance ticket in a decade? I would say no- but what if it's a first? What if it's a first and a prospect? I don't know where the GM Borg's line is, but I bet they have one. If no one is prepared to cross it let's just keep him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ferland is only a top 6 forward if he is playing with someone who can really drive the play (On the Canes only Aho is this). If they are going to continue to play NN with Aho instead of Ferland (I think they should) Ferland should be moved

Preferably, find another guy that can drive the play as well. The team is not going to be competitive if we have only 1 guy that can do that. I'm not suggesting we overpay for Ferland, just that unless/until we get more talented guys upfront that can drive the play, we'll be mediocre.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Two weeks will tell us a lot more about how slim those chances are, or are not.

I'd feel a lot better about our chances if we were gaining ground. Instead, we lose when teams around us lose and when we win, so does everyone else. Fine position to be in if you're on the inside looking out, but not so much the opposite.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
One more plus, if you don't mind. Every day Ferland is with us, gives us a chance he tells his agent to work something out. I know the guy wants to cash in, but a year ago, he was playing in Calgary. Now he's in Carolina. It's possible he gets traded to Las Vegas or somewhere at the deadline, then signs as a free agent in Vancouver or Ottawa or wherever. That doesn't sound like something a family guy wants to do. Eventually, I would think he's going to realize he's found a home here. Or he's a dumba$$ who really just wants the most money he can get.

I would argue that when you only have 1 marketable skill and can only use that marketable skill for a very small window getting the most money possible is the best decision, espescially when you’re probably going to get a NMC and can settle your family down for 6 years.

If the Canes are offering $5 for 6 years and he thinks he can get $6 for 7, he shouldn’t think twice about it.

$42 million is $12 million more than $30 million. Not at all insignificant.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I would argue that when you only have 1 marketable skill and can only use that marketable skill for a very small window getting the most money possible is the best decision, espescially when you’re probably going to get a NMC and can settle your family down for 6 years.

If the Canes are offering $5 for 6 years and he thinks he can get $6 for 7, he shouldn’t think twice about it.

$42 million is $12 million more than $30 million. Not at all insignificant.

Nope. Not at all. I don't begrudge Ferland wanting to cash in at all. It's just that, as a Hurricanes fan, I want him around for a while at a reasonable price. I don't expect him to give us any special treatment, but I'd be happy if he did.

In other words, I want him to want to be here and sign before free agency, but I'll understand if he doesn't.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Auston Matthews’ potential impact on the Carolina Hurricanes
by Matt Karash | Feb 6, 2019 | Daily Cup of Joe

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced that the team had extended Auston Matthews for five years at a whopping $11.63 million per year. Current math shows the Leafs with $7.6 million of cap room for 2019-20 and still eight roster spots to fill including re-signing Kasperi Kapanen and Mitch Marner. The Leafs do get some cap relief from Nathan Horton’s $5 million LTIR and also the likelihood that the salary cap will increase next season. But even still, the math most certainly means that the Leafs will need to trade a player or two. This situation could put William Nylander, Kasperi Kapanen and Mitch Marner in play. With the Hurricanes needing another forward or two, this could be relevant to the Canes.
The other interesting upshot is Sebastian Aho’s contract situation. Aho will need to be re-signed this summer if not earlier. Aho was drafted one year earlier, but is similarly coming off of his entry-level contract. Matthews missed some time due to injury, but his scoring pace for 82 games is 99 points. Aho is not far behind at 95. I do not think Aho would be able to negotiate for Matthews type money simply because Matthews has posted bigger totals in prior years. But as a young superstar who is a team leader offensively, I do think Matthews contract matters. First, it sets a precendent for young stars seeking the maximum possible versus at least considering what is best for the team. Second, though Aho might be a notch below Matthews, Aho’s next deal could still use Matthews’ deal as a reference point.
Random Carolina Hurricanes notes: Micheal Ferland, Canes-centric thoughts on Auston Matthews’ contract and the standings | Canes & Coffee

How much is 'a notch' in tiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad